Old November 15th 04, 09:55 PM
joejoe

Default CUT HEADPHONE WIRE

I cut the wire on my headphones. If I press the clean cut together
trying to adjust their position, I can get sound. If I strip the
wires and connect them individually I get nothing at all. Can anyone
help me understand this?
Old November 15th 04, 11:14 PM
Joel Kolstad

"joejoe" wrote in message
om...
I cut the wire on my headphones. If I press the clean cut together
trying to adjust their position, I can get sound. If I strip the
wires and connect them individually I get nothing at all. Can anyone
help me understand this?

What kind of insulation is on the headphone wires? I've seen many that use
enameled copper, and it's very easy to 'solder' a couple of enameled wires
together such that they physically stick together but don't make electrical
contact with one another. This may be what's happening in your case.

---Joel

Old November 16th 04, 09:01 PM
John Walton

Could be like Litz wire where each strand is insulated -- not only
eliminating the "skin effect" but also making the cord very flexible -- you
can strip the wire with methylene chloride and then solder them up together

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
om...

Old November 17th 04, 02:22 AM
Alan Peake

I cut the wire on my headphones. If I press the clean cut together
trying to adjust their position, I can get sound. If I strip the
wires and connect them individually I get nothing at all. Can anyone
help me understand this?

I got caught on this one too. It wasn't headphones but a int/ext temp gauge.
The external line broke and I stripped the wires and resoldered them. No
output.
On closer inspection, the two wires were actually very small shielded
wires (I'm not too good in the eyesight department these days) and I'd
stripped the outer and the inner insulation in one go.
Have a closer look at your headphone wire.
Alan