Old November 24th 04, 07:22 PM
Ian Liston-Smith

Default 5A power supply construction

I'm looking to build a 3A 34V regulated linear power supply. The LM338
adjustable regulator looks just what I need, but it's upper limit is
32V.

Can a zenner be placed in the common lead somewhere as can be done to
fixed regulators? I've downloaded the spec sheet, but it doesn't give
specific examples of how it may be done, although says "...several
hundred volts can be regulated..."

Are there other freely available regulators that will do what I want?

Many thanks,

Ian.
Old November 25th 04, 01:29 PM
John Walton

Use an LM317HV and a pass transistor.

"Ian Liston-Smith" wrote in
message ...

Old November 25th 04, 08:48 PM
Ian Jackson

In message , Ian
Liston-Smith writes

I'm looking to build a 3A 34V regulated linear power supply. The LM338
adjustable regulator looks just what I need, but it's upper limit is
32V.

Can a zenner be placed in the common lead somewhere as can be done to
fixed regulators? I've downloaded the spec sheet, but it doesn't give
specific examples of how it may be done, although says "...several
hundred volts can be regulated..."

Are there other freely available regulators that will do what I want?

Many thanks,

Ian.

I've just scanned through the data sheet
(http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM338.html).

I can't immediately see what limits the voltage to 32V. It seems to need
a minimum of about 4V across it, and the lowest output is 1.2V. However,
there doesn't seem to be any way it knows where 0V is.

I suspect that you can do as you suggest, ie jack up the common lead to
34V minus the 1.2V reference. You will need 38V input minimum.

Maybe it potentially dies on switch-on, because the output will
momentarily be at 0V (especially if you have any capacitor between the
output and 0V). However, you'll probably get away with it! Don't forget
to connect a diode back from output to input (to kill the reverse
voltage when you switch off).

I made a 1A PSU using 7805, with the common terminal jacked with zeners
(switched in as required). It goes from 5 to 24V. I've had it for about
20 years.

Ian.

Old November 26th 04, 02:15 PM
John Walton

the LM338 is, after all, a voltage reference, error amplifier and pass
element with current limiting -- you can raise the adjust pin above ground
with a zener to make a higher voltage regulator -- but you have to remember
to bias the zener since the adjust pin current may not be enough to do the
trick.

The LM338 is comparatively expensive. If you have to regulate 40V at 5
amps, an LM337 HV and a husky PNP will do the job cheaper, or you can just
use a zener and a PNP for a "super-zener", albeit with limited performance.

Here's how I did it for an amplifier which I had to completely take apart
and strip down:
http://www.tech-diy.com/hv_schem.jpg

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Ian
Liston-Smith writes

Old November 27th 04, 11:07 AM
Ian Liston-Smith

Thanks guys, you've given me some useful ideas!

Regards,

Ian