Old November 28th 04, 09:25 PM
Drbob92031

Default QTH Quarterly

Have not received any issues recently. Are they still part of NORCAL?
(Originally they were the N.J Q.T.H.) Any info please.
Bob..WA2EAW
Old November 29th 04, 03:24 AM
Brian - KB9BVN

Are you talking about the QRPp magazine and the Homebrewer Magazine?

QRPp was the old Norcal quarterly and Homebrewer was the old NJ QRP Club
Quarterly.

They merged with a few other clubs to form the AmQRP Club.

You can learn more about the AmQRP group from http://www.amqrp.org

Norcal has supposedly split away from the AmQRP and has their own website
but I think AmQRP is still selling the NORCAL kits. I know Doug Hendricks
left AmQRP last month I think. (http://www.norcalqrp.org)

I THINK originally, if you had a sub to QRPp and/or Homebrewer you were
given the same number of issues to the new replacement quarterly the AmQRP
Homebrewer but don't hold me to that.

I think George Heron N2APB is in charge of the magazine, but not 100% sure
about that now.

AmQRP Homebrewer has sent out a total of three issues of their magazine
since the club formed late in the summer of 2003. They currently have #4
ready to ship according to the website, but it was supposed to be in our
hands in early November....about 3 months late...but we still don't have it.
It's now missed two or maybe three promise dates already.

The website is still up, and they put out a message near the end of October
or first part of November saying they were goin gto be making some big
changes and things would be a lot better soon.

I think most QRPers are like me, and taking a "we'll wait and see what
happens next" kind of stand.

The three issues of the AmQRP Homebrewer we got, were very good magazines.
I don't know what the hold up is now.

73 de KB9BVN

Old November 29th 04, 01:27 PM
xpyttl

"Brian - KB9BVN" wrote in message
k.net...

Norcal has supposedly split away from the AmQRP and has their own website
but I think AmQRP is still selling the NORCAL kits. I know Doug Hendricks
left AmQRP last month I think. (http://www.norcalqrp.org)

Evidently, not completely spit away, but an associated club like the
ScQRPions and NoGa. But no longer a partner like NJQRP. I can't say I
really know what that means, but I think the main thing is that NorCal will
be doing their own kits.

I think George Heron N2APB is in charge of the magazine, but not 100% sure
about that now.

yep

I don't know what the hold up is now.

I'm guessing that they are basically out of gas. George seems to do about
99% of the work, and he seems to have a really heavy-duty day job. I could
be reading the signs wrong but I get the impression that every now and then
his employer gets on an acquisition binge and he ends up flying all over the
planet. Sorta tough getting the mag out when you are sitting in an airport
in Thailand.

A few months ago they had 5 or 6 kits that simultaneously got very popular.
Assembling all those kits pretty well fried the volunteers. I think some of
it is simply recovering from that, and learning to be a little more
disciplined in retiring kits.

I get the distinct impression there is some politics getting in the way,
too. But I can't say that for sure since I make it a point to avoid that
sort of thing. This is one of those areas where ignorance really is bliss.

Old November 30th 04, 02:04 AM
w9gb

"Brian - KB9BVN" wrote in message
k.net...
Are you talking about the QRPp magazine and the Homebrewer Magazine?

QRPp was the old Norcal quarterly and Homebrewer was the old NJ QRP Club
Quarterly.

They merged with a few other clubs to form the AmQRP Club.

You can learn more about the AmQRP group from http://www.amqrp.org

Norcal has supposedly split away from the AmQRP and has their own website
but I think AmQRP is still selling the NORCAL kits. I know Doug Hendricks
left AmQRP last month I think. (http://www.norcalqrp.org)

I THINK originally, if you had a sub to QRPp and/or Homebrewer you were
given the same number of issues to the new replacement quarterly the AmQRP
Homebrewer but don't hold me to that.

Yes, this is true ... I was a NorCal member when the merger occurred. The
passing of Jim Cates, WA6GER in April (co-founder of NorCal) was indeed a
sad moment. Jim invited me to attend one of the NorCal meetings (California
Burger in Pleasanton) .... 3 years ago during a California business trip.

November meeting
http://www.norcalqrp.org/mtg2004_11.htm

w9gb

QRP Quarterly Byron Tatum Homebrew 2 September 26th 03 05:14 PM
QRP Quarterly Byron Tatum Homebrew 0 September 26th 03 01:09 PM