RadioBanter

-   -   Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-) (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/251359-pepper-salt-condiments-season.html)

Gareth's Downstairs Computer December 21st 17 08:46 PM

Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

A very merry and satisfying Christmas and a happy new year
to all my readership.

And, on the basis that I'm finally getting around to
learning Cymraeg (Welsh), ...

.... Nadolig LLawen!

Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] December 21st 17 09:04 PM

Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

Gareth's Downstairs Computer
wrote:
A very merry and satisfying Christmas and a happy new year
to all my readership.

And, on the basis that I'm finally getting around to
learning Cymraeg (Welsh), ...

... Nadolig LLawen!

How do you say "Not guilty" in Welsh, G? You might want to practice that
one, just in case.

--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Charles Richmond December 22nd 17 09:37 AM

wrote:
A very merry and satisfying Christmas and a happy new year
to all my readership.

And, on the basis that I'm finally getting around to
learning Cymraeg (Welsh), ...

... Nadolig LLawen!

How do you say "Not guilty" in Welsh, G? You might want to practice that
one, just in case.

yn ddieuog

You'll need to do better than that... I don't have my Enigma machine
handy!!! ;-)

--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

[email protected] December 22nd 17 09:58 AM

wrote:
A very merry and satisfying Christmas and a happy new year
to all my readership.

And, on the basis that I'm finally getting around to
learning Cymraeg (Welsh), ...

... Nadolig LLawen!

How do you say "Not guilty" in Welsh, G? You might want to practice that
one, just in case.

yn ddieuog

You'll need to do better than that... I don't have my Enigma machine
handy!!! ;-)

A few years ago, I stoppped for a couple of days at a farmhouse near
Carmarten(sp) . Nice people, most Welsh people are. I asked the
housewife how she did in Welsh.

"I miss some nuances, of course, I am from North Wales, only been
living here for fifty years."

--
greymaus.ireland.ie
Just_Another_Grumpy_Old_Man

Brian Reay[_5_] December 22nd 17 10:25 AM

wrote:
A very merry and satisfying Christmas and a happy new year
to all my readership.

And, on the basis that I'm finally getting around to
learning Cymraeg (Welsh), ...

... Nadolig LLawen!

How do you say "Not guilty" in Welsh, G? You might want to practice that
one, just in case.

yn ddieuog

You'll need to do better than that... I don't have my Enigma machine
handy!!! ;-)

A few years ago, I stoppped for a couple of days at a farmhouse near
Carmarten(sp) . Nice people, most Welsh people are. I asked the
housewife how she did in Welsh.

"I miss some nuances, of course, I am from North Wales, only been
living here for fifty years."

Even in with accents and dialects, not even entirely different
languages, you can move short distances and hear differences- if not
pick up on there significance. Perhaps less so now people tend to
travel more, of course TV, radio all play a part.

As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and
their dialect was quite different. Relatives of a similar age who lived
closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a bit of
an issue.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Gene Wirchenko December 22nd 17 09:24 PM

Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:25:11 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

[snip]

As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and
their dialect was quite different. Relatives of a similar age who lived
closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a bit of
an issue.

I had a high school teacher who said that her Italian husband's
home village had a similar thing: the dialect of the people across the
river was quite different.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Charles Richmond December 22nd 17 10:39 PM

On 12/22/2017 2:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:25:11 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

[snip]

As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and
their dialect was quite different. Relatives of a similar age who lived
closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a bit of
an issue.

I had a high school teacher who said that her Italian husband's
home village had a similar thing: the dialect of the people across the
river was quite different.

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

--
numerist at aquaporin4 dot com

Charlie Gibbs December 23rd 17 01:39 AM

On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

On 12/22/2017 2:24 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 09:25:11 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

[snip]

As a child, I had relatives who lived within 6 or 7 miles of us and
their dialect was quite different. Relatives of a similar age who lived
closer didn't show the same differences. At times it really was a bit of
an issue.

I had a high school teacher who said that her Italian husband's
home village had a similar thing: the dialect of the people across the
river was quite different.

Back in the bad old days, two houses on different sides of the same
freeway... a phone call from one house to the other... was a
long-distant toll call !!! That is sort of analogous to speaking
dialects !!! :-)

I heard about a hotel in California that straddled area code
boundaries - it was long distance to call from one end of the
building to the other.

The town of Lloydminster sits right on the Alberta/Saskatchewan
border. There's some interesting billing there.

--
/~\ lid (Charlie Gibbs)

David Billington December 23rd 17 01:59 AM

On 23/12/17 00:39, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
On 2017-12-22, Charles Richmond wrote:

[...]

I know someone that could walk from one side of their house to the other
and their mobile coverage would go from Vodafone Holland to Vodafone
Belgium.