Old July 26th 18, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default multiple antenna installation

This is somewhat of an off topic question but it does pertain partially to my 77. I recently bought at auction a 2010 Dodge Charger which was a former New Hampshire state police car. There are three holes, One hole is in the center of the roof. Another is further back about two inches from the top of the rear windshield, and the last one is in the center of the trunk. They look like the type of holes that would be cut out for mounting NMO bases.

This is actually very convenient because I have a low band (around 42MHZ } business radio, and a Yaesu FT857 mobile radio with a DTMF microphone. I would like to use the Yaesu on both 2 and 6 meters, and I would also like to make provisions for using one of my PRC77's on 51MHZ from time to time as well.

So I want to install three antennas on the car. These would all be NMO type quarter wave base loaded whip antennas. The configuration I considered is as follows: The 42MHZ antenna would be in the center of the roof The six meter whip would be behind it and the 2 meter antenna would be on the trunk. I figured if I'm not using the 77,(which would probably be a good portion of the time) I can AB switch the six and two meter antennas into the Yaesu.

I'm not interested in having the best antennas on my car. I already have the bases, cables, and whips to do all this. I wouldn't have to buy anything. I just want to have a little Ham fun with them while keeping my business communications intact as well. And of course I need to fill the holes...Does it seem like the antennas might interfere with one another? Thanks, Lenny, KC1CPX
Old July 27th 18, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

So I want to install three antennas on the car. These would all be NMO type quarter wave base loaded whip antennas. The configuration I considered is as follows: The 42MHZ antenna would
be in the center of the roof The six meter whip would be behind it and the 2 meter antenna would be on the trunk. I figured if I'm not using the 77,(which would probably be a good portion
of the time) I can AB switch the six and two meter antennas into the Yaesu.

You might want to consider placing the 2-meter antenna on the roof.
If it's on the trunk, it will be trying to "look through" the car
cabin when radiating in the forward direction, and you may find that
signal propagation in that direction isn't good at low angles.

Your low-band antenna would probably be somewhat less affected by this
(being for a longer-wavelength frequency, and probably physically
longer as well).

Old July 27th 18, 11:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 10:00:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

The two meter antenna will be on the roof but not in the middle of the
roof. If you read what I had written it will be back towards the end
where the roof meets the top of the rear windshield. It will basically
be the middle of the three antennas though. Lenny