Old August 21st 18, 11:00 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default What happened to polystyrene capacitors?

You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?
Old August 21st 18, 06:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Phi Phi is offline

"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news
You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Silver mica were the best.

Old August 21st 18, 07:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Phi wrote:

"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news
You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Silver mica were the best.

Got any 1,000 uF silver micas?

--
Jim Pennino
Old August 21st 18, 07:32 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Phi Phi is offline

wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Phi wrote:

"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news
You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Silver mica were the best.

Got any 1,000 uF silver micas?

--
Jim Pennino

Perhaps you forgot or don't know, they are not electrolytic.

Old August 21st 18, 08:48 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Suflex capacitors. Scourge of the devil. I always viewed them with
suspicion when fault finding.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 21st 18, 09:04 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 21/08/2018 20:48, Graham. wrote:
You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Suflex capacitors. Scourge of the devil. I always viewed them with
suspicion when fault finding.

Suflex were a particular make, rather than a type.

There was another brand, Styroflex perhaps, which I think were similar.

I'm sure there were others, those just spring to mind.

--
https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud
Old August 21st 18, 10:00 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Phi wrote:

"Gareth's Downstairs Computer"
wrote in message
news You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Silver mica were the best.

Got any 1,000 uF silver micas?

--
Jim Pennino

Perhaps you forgot or don't know, they are not electrolytic.

Neither silver mica nor polystyrene capacitors are electrolytic.

What's your point?

Perhaps you forgot or don't know that in general polystyrene capacitors
are advantageous at audio frequencies while silver micas are advantageous
at RF frequencies and fill two entirely needs.

Read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_c...ilm_capacitors

--
Jim Pennino
Old August 21st 18, 10:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Phi Phi is offline

wrote in message
news You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Silver mica were the best.

Got any 1,000 uF silver micas?

--
Jim Pennino

Perhaps you forgot or don't know, they are not electrolytic.

Neither silver mica nor polystyrene capacitors are electrolytic.

What's your point?

Perhaps you forgot or don't know that in general polystyrene capacitors
are advantageous at audio frequencies while silver micas are advantageous
at RF frequencies and fill two entirely needs.

Read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_c...ilm_capacitors

--
Jim Pennino

I didn't have to look it up.

Old August 22nd 18, 12:54 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote in message
news You know, the ones in the clear plastic blobs, wire
ended with low puffage values and reputed to be super
stable?

Silver mica were the best.

Got any 1,000 uF silver micas?

--
Jim Pennino

Perhaps you forgot or don't know, they are not electrolytic.

Neither silver mica nor polystyrene capacitors are electrolytic.

What's your point?

Perhaps you forgot or don't know that in general polystyrene capacitors
are advantageous at audio frequencies while silver micas are advantageous
at RF frequencies and fill two entirely needs.

Read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_c...ilm_capacitors

Except "1,000uF" is a large value of capacitance, more in line for audio
than RF. At that value, virtually everyone shifts to an electrolytic
capacitor since it's the only way to get the value cheap and in a
reasonably sized package.

I admit to misreading it when I read it first, me thinking "1,000 pF"
which of course is .001uF and a value not common for the sort of thing
being discussed. It's a common RF bypass value, where you wouldn't need
an exact value and hence no need for polystyrene capacitors. Yes, I know
there are exceptions, but generally it is a high value for RF frequency
control purposes.

As for what happened to them, they came "late", and then I thought they
had just sort of morphed, either under a different name or something else
came along that was equivalent, but I admit I've not paid attention.

Michael

FS: Capacitors [email protected] Swap 0 November 19th 08 06:31 PM
370 AC capacitors terry Homebrew 4 October 6th 07 08:33 PM
CAPACITORS John Doe Homebrew 6 April 30th 07 10:58 PM
Polystyrene capacitors for filter networks? Paul Burridge Homebrew 36 March 19th 04 07:43 AM
Polystyrene capacitors for filter networks? Paul Burridge Homebrew 0 March 17th 04 01:03 PM