Old August 29th 18, 08:00 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Low impedance earth for upstairs shacks

Coming out of the fish and chip shop tonight, my eyes
alighted on the lightning conductor on the adjacent
building.

Aha! I bethought me, thich copper strap; low impedance
earth for my upstairs shack.

Old August 30th 18, 08:22 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 29/08/2018 20:00, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Coming out of the fish and chip shop tonight, my eyes
alighted on the lightning conductor on the adjacent
building.

Aha! I bethought me, thich copper strap; low impedance
earth for my upstairs shack.

Could be. Cue the protagonist arguments over PME/ non-PME which
degrades into name- calling over some legal dispute(s).
--

---

Old August 30th 18, 09:50 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 30/08/2018 08:22, Catweazel wrote:
On 29/08/2018 20:00, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Coming out of the fish and chip shop tonight, my eyes
alighted on the lightning conductor on the adjacent
building.

Aha! I bethought me, thich copper strap; low impedance
earth for my upstairs shack.

Could be. Cue the protagonist arguments over PME/ non-PME which
degrades into name- calling over some legal dispute(s).

Mine is TT but nevertheless wish a separate earth for the shack ...

1. No 1/4 wave away high RF spots when family member touches
a central heating radiator.

2. Household induced noise not conducted through.

Old August 30th 18, 11:56 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 30/08/18 08:22, Catweazel wrote:
On 29/08/2018 20:00, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Coming out of the fish and chip shop tonight, my eyes
alighted on the lightning conductor on the adjacent
building.

Aha! I bethought me, thich copper strap; low impedance
earth for my upstairs shack.

Could be. Cue the protagonist arguments over PME/ non-PME which
degrades into name- calling over some legal dispute(s).
--

---

=======
An effective RF earth for an upstairs shack is a C + L series resonant
circuit with current sensing indicator attached to an insulated wire on
the ground (under carpet) and the transmitter's earth connection.

It can be easily home-brewed . Either by a L roller coaster or a tapped
switched (air) inductor + a variable capacitor .

The current sensor is a toroid transformer through the current flowing
wire and a winding attached to a microA/lowmA moving coil meter
adjustable with a potmeter.

The above circuit needs to be adjusted for maximum current.......also
each time the tx freq is changed. It works well.

Frank , EI7KS a Linux only user