Old June 14th 19, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [VA3QV] A great "Stationary Use" antenna for your #hamradio mobile use

Amateur Radio on the Road

A great "Stationary Use" antenna for your #hamradio mobile use

https://va3qv.wordpress.com/2019/06/...io-mobile-use/

As mentioned from a previous post

If youve ever worked a large public service event (Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour
or the Canadian Ski Marathon as examples) that are in areas that are not
always Radio Friendly where you have to reach the repeater then here is a
suggestion for you.Â*Â*

And heres how I put it together with next to no tools and with parts that
mostly would be found in your radio equipment junk box

Parts list:

Hurricane style 3 or 4 magnet mount

Length of threaded rod-Â* I used a 3 foot long 3/8 inch threaded rod that I
picked up at Princess Auto here in Kingston along with 3 nuts and washers

Home made copper J Pole antenna from my junk box that I built about 25
years ago as part of a club build project

Couple of small hose clamps

10 foot (or so ) run of coax

Step 1 Remove whatever antenna mounting hardware is currently on the Mag
mount

Step 2 Using Nuts and washers attach treaded rod where the antenna mount
used to be

Step 3Â* Attach J Pole to the threaded rodÂ* using hose clamps if needed at a
length that you feel comfortable with or come up with a suitable way to
secure the antenna to the rod (your choice)Â* In my case I just inserted the
threaded rod inside the end of JPole

Step 4 Â* Attach coax

In my case this gave me aÂ* copper J pole 2 feet above the 6 foot high roof
of the truck then you add in the length of the J Pole itself and I have a
the top of a 1/2 wave antenna approx 14 feet above ground
(6(truck)+2(rod)+6(length of Jpole) firmly attached by 3 large magnets to
the rood of the truck.Â* According to Ontario Law its too tall to have on
the roof while driving but if you are stationary (at a checkpoint) it will
do you fine

WARNING

Whenever you are doing any sort of antenna work watch for and avoid all
overhead wires.

You follow the above directions and use the information at your own risk.Â*
The fact that it worked for me does not mean it will work for you.

If you have any doubts about the safe use of the information do not attempt
this..Â*Â*

Check your SWR before transmitting.Â* Finals can be expensive

I hope you have fun with this setup but please be careful. Dont be THAT Ham

Hopefully this setup should (could, might) give your the extra oomph to
your signal to get into the repeaters when needed.

73bob