RadioBanter

-   -   SA612 better alternatives! (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/287488-sa612-better-alternatives.html)

9H1FQ April 23rd 20 09:56 AM

SA612 better alternatives!

I have recently upgraded my deaf HW7 receiver.

Started with the SA612, fed by the very stable , original HW7 vfo, feeding industry standard NE5532 audio chain . Performance was very good for its simplicity, but, the local station, totally blocked my receiver.

So, I opted for an AD831 , and found that judging from my ears, not much difference in noise and sensitivity, but, never experienced any blocking , at all, at any time. And, unlike the SA612, BCI , was absent, even with simple antenna input circuit.

Brian Gregory[_2_] April 24th 20 12:21 AM

SA612 better alternatives!

On 23/04/2020 09:56, 9H1FQ wrote:
I have recently upgraded my deaf HW7 receiver.

Started with the SA612, fed by the very stable , original HW7 vfo, feeding industry standard NE5532 audio chain . Performance was very good for its simplicity, but, the local station, totally blocked my receiver.

So, I opted for an AD831 , and found that judging from my ears, not much difference in noise and sensitivity, but, never experienced any blocking , at all, at any time. And, unlike the SA612, BCI , was absent, even with simple antenna input circuit.

I think the SA612 is easy to better.

Even an SL6440 can beat it.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

9H1FQ April 25th 20 08:48 PM

SA612 better alternatives!

The only snag with the AD831 is that is unsuitable for portable work, as it consumes just over 100 mA