Old July 30th 20, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KD8CEC] Creating Network Transceiver using DVSwitch #3.Encoder and PTT installation (and Release Version 0.5)

KD8CEC Amateur Radio

Creating Network Transceiver using DVSwitch #3.Encoder and PTT installation
(and Release Version 0.5)

http://www.hamskey.com/2020/07/creat...-using_29.html

Creating Network Transceiver using DVSwitch #3.Encoder and PTT installation
(DVPi Version 0.5 released and Rotary encoder, PTT installed)This post
describes the additions made in Version 0.5 and the encoder and PTT
installation.

1.Installation and basic settings2.How to use
3.Rotary encoder, PTT installation
4.Advanced usage
5.Built-in DVSwitch (I will write this only when there is someone who wants
it)--------------------------------------------------
1.Release Version 0.5 1.1 About Image File You just download the file and
put it on your SD card. Information about dvpi Image file: id : pi
password : dvpi enabled service : ssh, vnc, rdp enabled network : dhcp
(If you want to set a static IP or Wifi, you can find the setting method on
the Internet.) timezone : default (utc) - There is a setting method in the
3) (The sound card built into the RPI cannot be used)
default audio output volume : 100% (Adjust the volume using a variable
resistor) default audio input volume : 30% (Adjust the volume using a
variable resistor) After installing or replacing a new microphone, you
can set it up through the alsamixer command. How to use the alsamixer
command will be explained in this document.
1.2 Download Image file
https://github.com/phdlee/dvpi/releases/tag/v0.5 Installation
instructions are detailed in previous posts. (1.Installation and basic
settings) You just download the file and put it on your SD card.
1.3 Changed in Version 0.5 I will post a separate post for the
added features that require detailed explanation. (DSP, Send Log ...)
- Talk group change function from the keypad screen to the encoder
- The DSP function was simply modified for speed, etc. - DSP to
use only interpolation and LPF - Added LPF_GAIN setting for volume
increase when using LPF function Increasing this number makes the
sound louder when using the DSP function. However, if it is too loud, the
sound may be distorted.
- By default, the DSP function is disabled.
When executed, it should look like this
If you are using the DSP function, touch the DSP button.
If you want to activate DSP function automatically when DVPi is
executed, edit dvpi.ini file as below.

- Change font on call sign panel (to distinguish I, J, 1, etc.)
- Reserved settings for FUNC1, FUNC2, and FUNC3 extension keys (this
is not used, it is only a reserve)
- Log record transmission function (using the format used by
wsjt-x) I know that I am not using LOG because it is DMR
communication. Just applied what I made for my next project.It would be
nice to use it for net control or memo. (This will be explained in a
separate post)
- The icons in the Configuration window have been rearranged. -
UserDB update function Just Click the 'Update UserDB' Button in
Configuration Window.
Then, Download user database
from 'https://database.radioid.net/database/dumps' and replace
user.csv in DVPi

- Added * and # alphabets to the keypad window.
- Fixed some bugs

2.Encoder and PTT InstallationYou can operate the DV mode more conveniently
with a resistor and a rotary encoder.
Anyone who doesn't change Talk Group often can put a PTT switch with just
one resistor.
2.1 Install PTT only Soldering is required to connect 3.3 volts at the
RPI. This is because the GPIO pin cannot be used because the LCD is
connected.When soldering to the board, be sure to turn off the power.

I installed PTT as below.The Push-type PTT switch was connected to the
Handy Microphone's PTT. Also, a toggle switch was additionally attached to
the transceiver for more convenience.

2.2 Installing the rotary encoder For this function, a rotary encoder and
3 resistors are required. Just connect as below.

Below is the rotary encoder I use. It is a rotary encoder generally used by
Arduino.

I did the following, but if you want to do it easily, you can apply a
resistor directly to the rotary encoder.
2.3 Settings for PTT and encoder use You need to enable PTT and encoder
use in the dvpi.ini file. Don't worry, it's very simple. Just activate it.
- Turn off DVPi and remove SDCard. - Insert the SD card into your computer.
- Change both'USE_ENCODER' and'USE_PTT' to TRUE in the dvpi.ini file.
USE_ENCODER=TRUE USE_PTT=TRUE
(before change)
(After Changed)
Your PTT and rotary encoder will now work. See the video below.

2.4 If the rotary encoder works in reverse If your rotary encoder works,
don't read this.
If the rotation of the rotary encoder works in reverse, there are two
solutions.Use the method you are comfortable with.
- First solution. I recommend this method. (Simple) Swap the wires
connected to the rotary encoder I can't draw well, but I tried it once.
Just swap the lines on both sides of the three connected as shown below.

- Second solution. I used this method because I already have a rotary
encoder and RPI in the case. In the dvpi.ini file, swap the values ​​of
items A and B Example) GPIO_ENCA=25 GPIO_ENCB=24

2.4 How to use a rotary encoder Turning the encoder moves the TG list
displayed at the bottom of the screen. The TG list can be changed by
clicking the blue button on the bottom right. Also, how to create and use
the TG list was explained in a previous post.
When turning the encoder, the description of the selected TG is displayed
at the bottom left. If you press the rotary encoder, it changes to the
displayed TG.

(After push)
If the TG description window is displayed, pressing the PTT switch will
switch to the displayed TG.
Even if the TG description window disappears, the TG selected using the
rotary encoder remains. In the screen below, '91' is the current TG
and '204' is the TG selected as the rotary encoder.
In this state, if you press the rotary encoder, it will switch to TG'204'.

Thanks for reading the long article.KD8CEC Ian