Old September 5th 20, 06:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio

Default [M0NWK] ICOM IC-7300 & WSJT-X configuration for FT-8 data mode

M0NWK

ICOM IC-7300 & WSJT-X configuration for FT-8 data mode

http://www.m0nwk.co.uk/operating-ft8...-icom-ic-7300/

In this article I have documented the steps I have taken to setup and
configure both my ICOM IC-7300 and WSJT-X software for FT8 data mode
operation.

Click on the continue button to see more.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If this is the first time you are connecting your ICOM
transceiver to a computer do not connect the USB lead before installing the
ICOM USB driver.

I am using Windows 10 operating system. If you are installing on a
different operating system some parts of this process may be different.
INSTALLING THE ICOM USB DRIVER

Below is a link to the installation guide that explains the process for
installing the ICOM USB driver on different operating systems. It is
important you read this before downloading and installing the driver.

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support...ID=20130723001

After you have familiarised yourself with the installation process,
download the ICOM USB driver software from the link below.

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support...-7600/usb1_20/

After the software download is complete, run the software and follow the
installation process.
CONNECT YOUR PC AND ICOM 7300 USING USB CABLE

Now the driver is installed you can connect your ICOM IC-7300 to your
computer using a USB A to USB cable (1.1, 2.0, or 3.0).
CHECK COM PORT ASSIGNED TO ICOM USB DRIVER

Right click on Windows Start button.

Click on Device Manager.

Click on Ports (COM & LPT) to expand. If the ICOM USB driver has installed
correctly and the ICOM IC-7300 is communicating with your PC you will see
Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMX), where X is the assigned port.

Make a note of this port number as you will need it later for WSJT-X
configuration.

INTERNET TIME SYNCHRONISATION

FT8 and other data modes require your computer’s internal time clock be set
precisely. Even if its out by a second or two it may result in you unable
to make QSOs.

To ensure my computer clock is kept up to date IÂ* have installed Meinberg
NTP.

Information about this software can be found
hereÂ*http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html

Software can be downloaded from here
https://www.meinbergglobal.com/engli...m#ntp_stableÂ*
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL WSJT-X

Find the latest version of WSJT-X at this
URL:Â*http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

At the time of writing there had been some enhancements to FT8 and MSK144
protocols and as such these were not backward compatible with older
versions of WSJT-X. These new protocols because the world-wide standard
from 10th December 2018 and all users were asked to upgrade to WSJT-X 2.0
by 1st January 2019.Â* This will be the version I will be installing now.

There are options for both Windows and Linux. I will be installing the
Windows 10 supported version.

Click on wsjtx-2.0.0-win32.exe or equivalent and download.

After the download has completed, run the executable and install WSJT-X.
When prompted, tick the box to Create wsjtx Desktop Icon.
CONFIGURE ICOM IC-7300 FOR DATA MODE OPERATION

Click on the MENU button and press SET.

Press Connectors.

Using the up and down arrow, scroll through each of the windows below and
change to the same settings.

After you have finished changing the settings press the EXIT button on the
radio to return the to the main screen.
SET ICOM 7300 TO USB-D MODE

For FT8 you will need to use USB-D mode. This ensures the DATA MOD value of
USB (USB interface) is used (see above). Set mode by pressing the mode i.e.
USB-D and pressing SSB to toggle between USB and LSB and DATA to toggle
between USB-D and LSB-D.

SET ICOM 7300 USB-D BANDWIDTH

I set my bandwidth to 3.60kHz for filter 3 by pressing and holding the
filter button until the filter options open in the window. I press BW and
use the main tuning knob to change the bandwidth. I press SHARP before
pressing and holding the filter button until the filter options close.

SET ICOM 7300 AGC

For data modes I turn off Active Gain Control (AGC). I do this by pressing
the FUNCTION button, pressing FAST and using the main tuning knob to select
OFF.

SET ICOM IC-7300 METER TYPE

When operating data modes I use the meter view.

Press the MENU button and click on METER.

Besides other things I am now able to view output power, ALC and SWR.

CONFIGURE WSJT-X

Open the WSJT-X software. If you chose the option to Create wsjtx Desktop
Icon you can do this by double clicking the WSJT-X icon on the desktop.

Click on File then Settings.

In the General tab input your callsign, grid square and IARU region. If you
dont know your grid square use WhatsMyLocator to find it. Details about
IARU can be found here.

Other settings in this tab are my preferred settings.

Click on the Radio tab.

Click on the Rig dropdown and select Icom IC-7300.

Click on Serial Port dropdown and select the COM port to which the ICOM USB
driver was assigned and which you made a note of earlier.

Click on Baud Rate dropdown and select 9600.

Click on the CAT radio button.

Set other radio buttons as per screenshot below.

If you click on the Test CAT button you should now hear your ICOM IC-7300
momentarily key.

Click on the Audio tab.

Check the Soundcard Input is using the USB Audio CODEC. If it isnt, click
on the dropdown and select it.

Click on the Audio tab.

Check the Soundcard Output is using the USB Audio CODEC. If it isnt, click
on the dropdown and select it.

Click on the Tx Macro tab.

I have made no changes to settings in this tab.

Click on the Reporting tab.

The Logging section contains my preferred values. All other values are
default.

Click on the Frequencies tab.

I have made no changes to settings in this tab.

Click on the Colours tab.

I have made no changes to settings in this tab.

Click on the Advanced tab.

I have made no changes to settings in this tab.

Click the OK button to save your changes.

Why not take a look at my YouTube channel hereÂ*or Twitter posts here.

You can also register for my website here.

Thanks

73 de M0NWK