Old January 23rd 05, 05:41 AM

Default EZ WAY 2 CONVERT S-PARAMETERS TO SERIES EQUIVALENT????

Hi,

I'm quite comfortable impedance matching to
large signal series equivalent impedances, when i
get them in data sheets. No problem, even when i
have to extrapolate a bit.

However, sometimes you only get scattering
parameters. So we could use this formula:

Z11=((1+s11)*(1-s22)+s12*s21)/((1-s11)
*(1-s22)-s12*s21)

Etcetera. But i don't wanna do vector
math all the time. And i also don't wanna
graph this gamma on the Smith chart by hand.

So i was wondering if there was a program
out there, that will do this calculation
for you?

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Slick

Old January 23rd 05, 11:42 AM
William E. Sabin

Here is a suggestion to provide terrific help with all kinds of math
calculations. Mathcad is an excellent program that I have used for many
years. It should be easy to find an older version such as 4.0 or 6.0 at
very low cost which will do just about anything you can think of (I have
version 12.0). This software is easy to get started with and can be learned
more deeply with experience. Be sure to get the User Manual also. The
equation that you illustrated is a piece of cake using Mathcad and complex S
parameters. And the complex values of Z11 can be graphed on a polar or xy
plot by the program over a wide frequency range.

Amazon.Com has a 6.0 version for $40 at this time (Sunday mornng). Be sure
to get the User Manual.

Bill W0IYH

oups.com...

Old January 23rd 05, 08:04 PM
Len Anderson

In article V4MId.24238$IV5.16993@attbi_s54, "William E. Sabin"
writes:

Here is a suggestion to provide terrific help with all kinds of math
calculations. Mathcad is an excellent program that I have used for many
years. It should be easy to find an older version such as 4.0 or 6.0 at
very low cost which will do just about anything you can think of (I have
version 12.0). This software is easy to get started with and can be learned
more deeply with experience. Be sure to get the User Manual also. The
equation that you illustrated is a piece of cake using Mathcad and complex S
parameters. And the complex values of Z11 can be graphed on a polar or xy
plot by the program over a wide frequency range.

Amazon.Com has a 6.0 version for $40 at this time (Sunday mornng). Be sure
to get the User Manual.

Mathcad is a nice - but EXPENSIVE - computer program.

For conversion of S Parameters into any other form, a simple
handheld pocket-size scientific calculator would seem a better
investment. The Hewlett-Packard Model 33 calculator cost less
than $100 and can do complex quantity calculations (add,
subtract, multiply, divide, some transcendental functions) as
easily as single-quantity (scalar) calculations...and with a choice
of notation of fixed-point, scientific, or engineering exponent
formats. It is very useful for simpler calculations and the internal
battery lasts a long time thanks to internal CMOS electronics.
[my older HP 32S II has been going along on the original batteries
for nearly five years now] Since it is programmable, the 32 or
33 models can do formulas and a host of other pre-programmed
functions.

HP's marketing strategy for calculators seems to be sales
through its website or, possibly, if in-stock, at Staples, CompUSA,
Best Buy, or Wal-Mart. Easy enough to order on-line via -

www.hpshopping.com

Click on "hand-helds and calculators." On-line price for the 33s
is $50. The simpler, algebraic notation 30s is only $15, but that
one cannot handle complex quantities directly.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:37 PM
William E. Sabin

writes:

Here is a suggestion to provide terrific help with all kinds of math
calculations. Mathcad is an excellent program that I have used for many
years. It should be easy to find an older version such as 4.0 or 6.0 at
very low cost which will do just about anything you can think of (I have
version 12.0). This software is easy to get started with and can be
learned
more deeply with experience. Be sure to get the User Manual also. The
equation that you illustrated is a piece of cake using Mathcad and complex
parameters. And the complex values of Z11 can be graphed on a polar or xy
plot by the program over a wide frequency range.

Amazon.Com has a 6.0 version for $40 at this time (Sunday mornng). Be sure
to get the User Manual.

Mathcad is a nice - but EXPENSIVE - computer program.

$40 for a program as powerful and multi-faceted as Mathcad 6.0 seems to me
to be quite a bargain and a gateway to a whole world of applied mathematics.

Bill W0IYH