Old January 28th 05, 09:30 AM
J M Noeding

Default Radiotech on the newsgroup

Since I have my home page I receive a lot of technical questions which
I know little about, but believe W7EL, W0IYH, K7ITM, KE5FX, G3SEK and
others know very much about, and I've experienced that they post a lot
of replies on the matters.....

Have proposed they try newsgroups which I listed, but somebody gets
very insulted and tell me strange things, it seems that only a smaller
fraction of those who access has any idea about newsgroups and how to
access them

73,
JM
---
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm
Old January 28th 05, 02:55 PM
Caveat Lector

JM, I also have a popular mega website on Amateur Radio and receive numerous
questions.
I answer those that I can and like you refer them to the news groups.

The greater majority of folks do not know how to use news groups or are even
aware of their existence.

So I refer them to URL:
http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/W...newsOE6_01.htm

I also have instructions for accessing the NG's on my website.

Many come back with "I have to subscribe, so declined"
As you and I know it is not a subscription per se, only setting up your
browser.
One has to subscribe to a mail list or reflector - but not the NG's.
Seems folks avoid anything that involves a setup or registration.

Others come back to me stating that when they viewed the NG's -- they were
so full of junk and obscenities that they wouldn't return.

Sad as many experts frequent the NG's and they can be a very valuable
resource.

In several instances, I posted queries for them and often someone would
reply.

--
Caveat Lector --- Anon by necessity on the NG's -- thus avoiding your
problem of "somebody gets

Old January 28th 05, 02:58 PM
Joe McElvenney

Hi,

Have proposed they try newsgroups which I listed, but somebody gets
very insulted and tell me strange things, it seems that only a smaller
fraction of those who access has any idea about newsgroups and how to
access them

There are two main reasons I think. Firstly that newsreaders aren't
generally integrated into browsers so that many people don't know that
these groups exist. And secondly, posting to a newsgroup exposes you to
public view and thus possible criticism which is never easy to handle
even with the thickest of skins.

Consider the postings which start off "I don't know much about
electronics but..." which is unnecessary as most people are only to
happy to help if they can. Or those from the abusive ones in our midst
who hide behind a "nom de guerre" and add little to the sum-total of
human knowledge.

A great web site you have by the way.

Cheers - Joe

Old January 30th 05, 03:50 AM
gudmundur

In article ,
says...

Since I have my home page I receive a lot of technical questions which
I know little about, but believe W7EL, W0IYH, K7ITM, KE5FX, G3SEK and
others know very much about, and I've experienced that they post a lot
of replies on the matters.....

Have proposed they try newsgroups which I listed, but somebody gets
very insulted and tell me strange things, it seems that only a smaller
fraction of those who access has any idea about newsgroups and how to
access them

I have found your statement to be very true indeed. I have learned so
much from several of the N.G.'s that I post to. Learned a long time ago
to use a bogus return address however. I hate being spammed, although I
really don't mind being flamed, as everyone has an opinion, good, or bad.
I have purchased some equipment from folks in the scuba newsgroup. They
actually gave me business referances to check them out beforehand.

It amazes me how many of my 'techie' freinds have no clue about N.G.'s.
Totally unaware! I thought newsgroups were around before www webpages.
Yikes, showing my age. So much useful information to share, and so much
bandwidth wasted on commercial marketing racketeers, and spammers.
Personally, I think webcasting is a waste of bandwidth. I am living in
the U.S.A., but when I desire to hear Utvarp Reykjavik, I sat down and
built a 6AJ5 tube type low noise convertor for 15.770mhz, and feed it's
output to a 1964 Pontiac car radio. That rig is hot! Listening to an
Icelandic broadcast via webcasting would be like shooting my engineering
talent in the foot.

Best wishes all, from a viking in the states.