Old February 5th 05, 09:03 PM
Ken Scharf

Default wire strippers

Anybody remember that cold head soldering iron advertised on tv
a while back? It was supposed to come with a pair of these
neat looking wire strippers. Well today at the Miami hamfest
someone was selling just the wire strippers. I got two of the
smaller ones good for .2-3mm wire (what's that in AWG?) and
one of the larger ones good for .2-6mm wire for $20.
These really are cool wire strippers, they quickly strip
any guage wire (in the supported range) without nicking the
wire. They even appear to work on some wire wrap wire that
is usually impossible to strip except with hard to find
'no-nick' brand cutters. (though you have to be carefull to
put the wire in the right hand side of the cutters where
the opening is a bit wider.
Old February 6th 05, 03:57 AM
t.hoehler

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message
. ..

snip

They even appear to work on some wire wrap wire that
is usually impossible to strip except with hard to find
'no-nick' brand cutters. (though you have to be carefull to
put the wire in the right hand side of the cutters where
the opening is a bit wider.

I picked up a small wire stripper for a few bucks at a flea market, it works
absolutely great on romex, 12 ga, 14ga, 18 ga. but not so hot on 23 - 24
gage wire with the high temp poly insulation. Kinda flattens it and tries to
pull it off, but no dice. If you do a lot of work with big wire, these
things are super.
Regards,
Tom

Old February 6th 05, 06:12 AM
Phil B

This type of wire stripper is not new. What may be new is that it
actually works. As I am sure all the old timers know, there was a wire
stripper sold years ago that worked on the same principle: clamp and
slide. Back in the late 60s when I started my first job, the lab had a
number of them in the drawers. I tried them a few times. Sometimes they
worked and sometimes they didn't. These were inflated-priced industrial
quality. All the techs in the lab used the regular old Miller strippers.
When adjusted properly, they were quick and reliable. We used No-Nicks
for wire wrap wire. They were always reliable. I still have one. Not
much call these days for wire wrapping!

Phil B

. ..

Old February 6th 05, 02:41 PM
Aden

"Ken Scharf" a écrit dans le message de
. ..
Anybody remember that cold head soldering iron advertised on tv
a while back? It was supposed to come with a pair of these
neat looking wire strippers. Well today at the Miami hamfest
someone was selling just the wire strippers. I got two of the
smaller ones good for .2-3mm wire (what's that in AWG?) and
one of the larger ones good for .2-6mm wire for $20.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages..._std.html?gid=

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages..._del.html?gid=

Where I live, they can be bought for about 3$ a piece...

Old February 6th 05, 08:09 PM
Terry

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message
. ..
......................... snip .......................
someone was selling just the wire strippers. I got two of the
smaller ones good for .2-3mm wire (what's that in AWG?) and
one of the larger ones good for .2-6mm wire for $20.

From page 61 of Northern Electric "Electrical conductors handbook".
"Standard copper wire AWG" "1968"
AWG Diam. Diam.
Inches Millimetres.

56 0.0005 0.012
54 0.0006 0.016
52 0.0008 0.020
50 0.0010 0.025

48 0.0013 0.032
46 0.0016 0.040
45 0.0019 0.047
44 0.0020 0.051

43 0.0022 0.056
42 0.0025 0.064
41 0.0028 0.071
40 0.0031 0.079

39 0.0035 0.089
38 0.0040 0.102
37 0.0045 0.114
36 0.0050 0.127

35 0.0056 0.142
34 0.0063 0.160
33 0.0071 0.180
32 0.0080 0.203

31 0.0089 0.226
30 0.0100 0.254
29 0.0113 0.287
28 0.0126 0.320

27 0.0142 0.361
26 0.0159 0.404
25 0.0179 0.455
24 0.0201 0.511

23 0.0226 0.574
22 0.0253 0.643
21 0.0285 0.724
20 0.0320 0.813

19 0.0359 0.912
18 0.0403 1.020
17 0.0453 1.150
16 0.0508 1.290

15 0.0571 1.45
14 0.0641 1.63
13 0.0720 1.83
12 0.0808 2.05

10 0.1019 2.588
8 0.1285 3.264
6 0.1620 4.115
4 0.2043 5.189

3 0.2294 5.877
2 0.2576 6.543
1 0.2893 7.348
1/0 0.3249 8.252

Old February 6th 05, 11:13 PM
Ken Scharf

Aden wrote:
"Ken Scharf" a écrit dans le message de
. ..

Anybody remember that cold head soldering iron advertised on tv
a while back? It was supposed to come with a pair of these
neat looking wire strippers. Well today at the Miami hamfest
someone was selling just the wire strippers. I got two of the
smaller ones good for .2-3mm wire (what's that in AWG?) and
one of the larger ones good for .2-6mm wire for $20.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages..._std.html?gid=

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages..._del.html?gid=

Where I live, they can be bought for about 3$ a piece...

So it wasn't a super deal, I paid about what it would cost
on this web site. At least I didn't have to pay the shipping
cost.
Old February 7th 05, 02:50 AM

Phil, not much call for wire-wrap? I still use it for all my
prototyping at work, my nixie tube clocks, all my home gadget
projects... I love the stuff. Of course it helps to have an electric
gun and a cut/strip/wrap bit!

I don't know what I'd do without wire wrap... anyone with wire-wrap
tools they don't want, I'll take 'em!

Terry.

Old February 7th 05, 03:24 AM
Phil B

Terry, we use millions of dollars worth of design and simulation
software to do our prototyping at work. The only tools we handle are a
keyboard and a mouse. If we are REALLY lucky the $5 million dollar ASIC
works out of the shoot. More likely, we need to spend a couple more
million to re-spin the design to get rid of a few really obscure bugs.

Back in the good old days, we could easily add/remove wire wrap wires on
the prototype backplanes until the pesky obscure bugs were squashed. Ah,
for the simpler days!

Phil B

ps.com...

Old February 7th 05, 05:28 AM
Jim Strickland

I bought my first set of these strippers at Home Depot.

For the record, I got a cold heat soldering iron (including a second
set of these strippers) for Christmas and y'know? It works pretty darn
well. I don't use it as my every day soldering iron, but you can bet
it will be in my tool box when, for example, I take my combat robots to
competition. The trick to them appears to be be *gentle* with the tips.

-Jim

Old February 7th 05, 02:20 PM

Phil,

I guess I still live in the simpler days!

Truthfully, most of my work is designing control boards for sweepers
and scrubbers.... DSP based designs with straightforward I/O and lots
of power outputs, H-bridges and such... Not a lot of prototyping goes
on anymore. I kind of miss it. That's why I still do it at home. Pure
fun.

Terry.