Old February 15th 05, 02:24 PM
Airy R.Bean

Your gratuitous use of Childish Broadcasting (CB) suggests
that "W4CZB" is some form of Yankland CBer's callsign.

Ham Radio has traditions of gentlemanliness which have been
completely lost on you. If there is any trolling going on, then
surely it has arisen through your infantile and
uncalled-for outburst below?

Grow up, Harold!

Stupid boy.

"Harold E. Johnson" wrote in message
The curmudgeon (Sorry all you
curmudgeons for the insult) that started this thread hasn't the common

sense
or native intelligence to pose the question. He's just there to troll and
present his agenda that he is better than others.

Old February 15th 05, 02:32 PM
Airy R.Bean

Top-posting is the preferred method because you get to see
new material without having to page down through oft-repeated
and over-familiar historical reprints.

wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:18:47 -0000, "Airy R.Bean"
wrote:
But what of the "liebebstraum" (sp?) for future experimentation
with the circuitry?

Hate top posting, you always loose the question.

Old February 15th 05, 03:07 PM
William E. Sabin

Test

Old February 15th 05, 03:14 PM
William E. Sabin

Hello Harold,

Thanks for the comments. My 100 W PA has worked quite well from 1.8 to 29.7
MHz, which was the requirement. Nice to hear from you.

Bill W0IYH

Old February 15th 05, 03:17 PM
Caveat Lector

Karnac the Magnificent would be proud of you (and I)

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

Old February 15th 05, 04:25 PM
Mike Andrews

Gregg wrote:
Behold, John Miles scribed on tube chassis:

Somehow, I doubt many of those 20 WPM Extras making equine posteriors
out of themselves on 75 fone are doing so on homebrew rigs.

The idea is the advanced ticket people can buy commercial rigs.

I was reading some of the the history of Ham radio though and it seems
today's ham's rarely fit the bill :-(

What happened?

Way Back When I Got Started, in 1962, the difference between what I
could build at home and what I could buy from a manufacturer wasn't
all that great. The high-end stuff got fairly fancy, as indicated by
the Collins A-line gear, but mostly it was fairly mundane.

But that was when commercial transistor gear was moderately new and
much (or most) commercial stuff was tube-based. There were _no_ ICs,
definitely no computer-controlled rigs, and Life Was Much Simpler.
The overall performance level of rigs was lower, as a result.

Nowadays the commercial gear is *SO* much more advanced than anything
the average ham can design and build[1], or even build from a design
someone else worked out, that it's just easier to buy an appliance to
get the performance one wants. Construction is hard, it requires time
and expensive materials, and the overall bill for the appliance most
of the time is less than it would cost (including time) to build a
comparable device.

[1] There are exceptions, and they appear as showcase examples in
the ARRL Handbook and other places.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO/AE, 5 WPM Extra (But working on getting faster!)

Tired old sysadmin
Old February 15th 05, 08:15 PM
huLLy

Gary Cavie wrote:

Actually Gareth, Harold W4CZB is everything that you claim to aspire
to.

Funny how Gareth only posts during library opening hours...
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village

Old February 15th 05, 08:48 PM
Howard Long

Hi Airy

Your gratuitous use of Childish Broadcasting (CB) suggests
that "W4CZB" is some form of Yankland CBer's callsign.

Ham Radio has traditions of gentlemanliness which have been
completely lost on you. If there is any trolling going on, then
surely it has arisen through your infantile and
uncalled-for outburst below?

Grow up, Harold!

Stupid boy.

Long time no speak! Sorry I didn't make it to the rally last week, I would
have liked to meet you.

You know, if we got to see some of the interesting homebrew kit and
modifications that you frequently talk about, I am sure that it would stall
many of the "outbursts" that you attract and refer to. If you don't have
access to a camera or scanner, written desciptions would be fine. I am sure
that that your designs would be both an inspiration and a help to many of us
who would like to have the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

If you don't have a website, you can either email or post me your designs
and I'll be glad to publish them for you, of course giving you full credit,
as I have done for a few others' designs that I've published on the authors'
behalf.

My email address is on my website and my address is in qrz.com and the
Yearbook back to 2001.

Thanks & 73, Howard G6LVB
http://www.g6lvb.com

Old February 15th 05, 08:52 PM
ZZZPK

"Brian Reay" wrote:

: an illuminated bench magnifier
plain english a magnifying glass on a stand with a light on it /plain english