Old March 27th 05, 04:08 PM
LC

Default Midland to Headset

I am trying to incorporate a mobile CB Midland 13-857 to my motorcyle,
I need to know how to add a circuit to the input (mic) so I can use a
head set. I can hear and currently use the hand mic when riding...
(the head set came from a computer with two jacks, one for speaker and
one for mic).... can it be done? Can anyone help?

thanks Ken

Old March 28th 05, 10:18 AM
Bruce Fletcher

LC wrote:
I am trying to incorporate a mobile CB Midland 13-857 to my motorcyle,
I need to know how to add a circuit to the input (mic) so I can use a
head set. I can hear and currently use the hand mic when riding...
(the head set came from a computer with two jacks, one for speaker and
one for mic).... can it be done? Can anyone help?

Using a hand microphone whilst riding a motorcycle? Not a recommended
practice!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old March 29th 05, 06:00 AM
LC

Thank you Bruce....so hence the request for service on wiring the
handmic into my helment... thanks for reading... got any ideas on how
to do this?
LC

Old March 29th 05, 09:46 AM
Bruce Fletcher

Bruce Fletcher wrote:
Using a hand microphone whilst riding a motorcycle? Not a
recommended practice!

At the risk of being a spoil-sport I wouldn't even contemplate using the
rig whilst driving - just as I wouldn't use a mobile phone whilst
driving. Riding a motorcycle or driving a car needs your full
attention. g
Old April 1st 05, 12:57 PM
LC

Andy, thank you , thank you...now I have to back to the books to
understand what you told me to do.... ;-) LOL thanks again.

WA3LTJ wrote:
LC wrote:

I am trying to incorporate a mobile CB Midland 13-857 to my
motorcyle, I need to know how to add a circuit to the input (mic)

so
I can use a head set. I can hear and currently use the hand mic

when
riding... (the head set came from a computer with two jacks, one

for
speaker and one for mic).... can it be done? Can anyone help?

thanks Ken

It can be done.

You need do:
1) match the pin wiring
2) match the microphone impedances (although this may not be

important)
3) match the gain of the microphones with an attenuator or amplifier.
4) supply power to the computer microphone if it is an electret type.

You will need to get the microphone connector wiring from the manual

or
from opening the microphone. If your computer microphone is electret,
it will need 3 to 12 volts of DC to operate the element. I don't know
if CB manfacturers put a voltage like this on the microphone

connector.

Anyway, it is not straightforward, but it can be done. I did it for

my
Midland 2 meter rig. I embeded a speaker and tiny electret mic in the
foam of my helmet.

Andy

Vertex VXA-700 headset Slip'er General 0 February 15th 05 02:52 AM
FA Communications headset Rick B Swap 0 February 24th 04 11:45 PM
FA: VOX Headset VOX headset Equipment 0 October 26th 03 09:19 PM
IC706 Headset adapter? R Packer II Homebrew 0 July 20th 03 09:38 PM
IC706 Headset adapter? R Packer II Homebrew 0 July 20th 03 09:38 PM