Old April 19th 05, 04:10 PM
erichmadison

Default FCC / FM Tx

Newbie here with a few questions regarding low power FM transmission.
Please excuse my possibnle improper use of vernacular. I just purchased
a 50mW FM transmitter for playing music in my home. It was built from a
kit and sold to a first owner, then sold to me... if that matters.

Since the FCC now uses the guideline of "250mV @ 3 meters" power
limitation, one needs to know what their transmission output is. What
sort of device would measure this? If I am pushing too much power, can
I shorten my antenna (currently 2 lengths of wire coming from the back
of the unit), in hopes to lessen the range? The unit is in my basement,
which reduces the effective range and possibility of interference with
licensed users, but it may still be exceeding the part 15 power output
limitations.

Second, if the FCC does "hunt you down" based on complaints, do they
issue a warning typically for first time offenders or do they go
straight for the $10,000 fine? Or is it purely based on what mood the
FCC investigators (or whatever they would be called) are in? I know
there are many variables with this, and that they would probably come
down harder if you were broadcasting sold advertisements, political
propaganda, etc.

Just wondering if I jumped into something to deep.

Thanks

Old April 19th 05, 06:23 PM
Me

In article .com,
"erichmadison" wrote:

[...]

The FCC is a "Paper Tiger" ever since the gutted the Field Operations
Staff back in the Clinton/Gore Reinvention of Government days. They
don't have enough Field Staff to investigate the Public Safety
Interference complaints let alone any Ham or Consumer complaints.
If you make an absolute fool of yourself, maybe in ten years they might
get around to you, but other than that, it isn't gong to happen.
The FCC has to much Bandwidth to sell, to be worried about any microFM
Transmitters......

Me
Old April 19th 05, 07:23 PM
xpyttl

"Me" wrote in message

The FCC is a "Paper Tiger" ever since the gutted the Field Operations
Staff back in the Clinton/Gore Reinvention of Government days. They
don't have enough Field Staff to investigate the Public Safety
Interference complaints let alone any Ham or Consumer complaints.

I wouldn't go quite that far, there have been some pretty aggressive
prosecutions lately. But with a 50 mW transmitter, you would have to be
pretty creative at causing trouble to get their notice.

What will get you in trouble is causing interference and then being arrogant
about it. So, if you do exceed the field strength rules, there is a remote
possibility that some FM station might decide you are interfering with them
or competing with them. They might send you a nasty letter. If you stop
interfering, it will stop there. If you don't, they *might* shoot of a
letter to the FCC and the FCC *might* send you a nastynote. If you write
back and agree to stop, and then actually do stop, it will probably end
there. However, if you send them back some nasty response, or ignore their
letter, then you could be in trouble. Even then there will be proceedings
after proceedings before things escalate to the $10K level.

In other words, you not only have to break the rules, but you need to be
really stupid about it. It does happen, though. Among amateurs, who tend to
know the rules and have the equipment to measure compliance, there are
probably one or two prosecutions a month. Those amateur prosecutions
usually happen with a lot of help from the ARRL, however. If you interfere
with a ham, chances are he will help you figure out how to operate your
transmitter without interfering. And if he escalates it to his OO, the
local OOC will likely get more technical help to see how you can accomplish
your goals in a non-interfering way. If the local section can't resolve it,
they will request help from the ARRL headquarters who will also be more
interested in solving the problem than prosecuting. All this before Charlie
ever learns of the problem.

It really does take an astonishing level of stupidity to get prosecuted, so
don't stress over it too much.

However, if you happen to live next door to an FCC listening post or some
sensitive government facility, then all bets are off.

Old April 20th 05, 12:03 PM
cl

"xpyttl" wrote in message
"Me" wrote in message

The FCC is a "Paper Tiger" ever since the gutted the Field Operations
Staff back in the Clinton/Gore Reinvention of Government days. They
don't have enough Field Staff to investigate the Public Safety
Interference complaints let alone any Ham or Consumer complaints.

I wouldn't go quite that far, there have been some pretty aggressive
prosecutions lately. But with a 50 mW transmitter, you would have to be
pretty creative at causing trouble to get their notice.

I can agree with this...... I know of a guy running a transmitter which
interfered with an AM station. It wasn't long before the FCC knocked on the
"owner's" door and confiscated all his equipment. The stupid ******* didn't
learn the first time. He had a repeat performance. The last I heard, he went
bye bye. IF they want to find you, they can and will. Make no mistake about
it. Cable companies have been shut down due to creating interference to the
Aircraft frequencies. Aircraft "is" a "form" of Public Safety. There are
other instances. Don't sell yourself short to think they won't come in. You
may be "un" pleasantly surprised. I know instances of them busting volunteer
agencies for "rules" infractions - things said on the airwaves contrary to
the rules. Quite a few "Pirate" radio stations have been shut down
recently - as well. So, the FCC "is" out doing what they need to do - even
if limited in funds. But - the hefty fines should start building a healthy
coffer I would have to think. There have been quite a few very heft fines
put out lately and I'm not talking just from the Janet Jackson escapades.
I'm talking fines of tens of thousands of dollars for some offenses up to
hundreds of thousands for others. Rolling the dice isn't a smart move. The
louder the squeak, the more attention it will get. Be a persistent squeak -
even if not loud, you'll get attention sooner or later - but it will come.

If you're only wanting to transmit within your house, then you shouldn't
need much of an antenna at all. Keep it at the absolute minimum length
needed for a clear signal and you should have no trouble. IF it is "still"
creating a problem, rather than getting cocky with them, ask for advice,
they're likely to lend some advice and see you're trying to comply.
Arrogance will draw their attention, like crap draws flies.

cl

Old April 20th 05, 06:45 PM
Me

In article rio.net,
"cl" wrote:

But - the hefty fines should start building a healthy
coffer I would have to think.

all FCC fines and forfitures go DIRECTLY into the General Fund......

Me

Old April 21st 05, 02:56 AM
cl

"Me" wrote in message
In article rio.net,
"cl" wrote:

But - the hefty fines should start building a healthy
coffer I would have to think.

all FCC fines and forfitures go DIRECTLY into the General Fund......

Me

Maybe so, but being they're handing them out......... they're earning their
pay check.

cl

Old April 21st 05, 03:25 AM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article ,
says...

snippety

The FCC is a "Paper Tiger" ever since the gutted the Field Operations
Staff back in the Clinton/Gore Reinvention of Government days. They
don't have enough Field Staff to investigate the Public Safety
Interference complaints let alone any Ham or Consumer complaints.
If you make an absolute fool of yourself, maybe in ten years they might
get around to you, but other than that, it isn't gong to happen.
The FCC has to much Bandwidth to sell, to be worried about any microFM
Transmitters......

If you really believe that the FCC is a "paper tiger," I suggest
you keep an eye on this link.

http://www.arrl.org/news/enforcement_logs/

And that's just on the amateur radio side. Granted, they've done a
crappy job in that they've been pandering to the nascent BPL industry,
but keep in mind that Michael Powell has resigned, and is on his way
out. Once he goes, something good may actually happen (for a change).

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Old April 21st 05, 03:08 PM
cl

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

snippety

[...]

"Paper" tiger = "paper" bites. They can be painful. A big bite via paper -
called a citation. That "tiger" could take a big ole bite out the paper - in
your wallet.

As the man said, they may have dropped the ball on the BPL, but they've been
sticking it to quite a few - with fines. I sure wouldn't be so quick to sell
them as being dead when it comes to enforcement.

cl

Old April 20th 05, 01:39 PM
John - KD5YI

erichmadison wrote:
Newbie here with a few questions regarding low power FM transmission.
Please excuse my possibnle improper use of vernacular. I just purchased
a 50mW FM transmitter for playing music in my home. It was built from a
kit and sold to a first owner, then sold to me... if that matters.

Since the FCC now uses the guideline of "250mV @ 3 meters" power
limitation, one needs to know what their transmission output is. What
sort of device would measure this? If I am pushing too much power, can
I shorten my antenna (currently 2 lengths of wire coming from the back
of the unit), in hopes to lessen the range? The unit is in my basement,
which reduces the effective range and possibility of interference with
licensed users, but it may still be exceeding the part 15 power output
limitations.

(snip)

Perhaps the information on the FCC Website is old, but it currently reads

"Sec. 15.239 Operation in the band 88-108 MHz.

(b) The field strength of any emissions within the permitted 200 kHz
band shall not exceed 250 microvolts/meter at 3 meters. The emission
limit in this paragraph is based on measurement instrumentation
employing an average detector. The provisions in Sec. 15.35 for
limiting peak emissions apply."

So, rather than 250 mV/meter you are allowed only 250 uV/meter.

It takes less than 20 nanowatts of power into a practical antenna to get 250
uV/meter at 3 meters. Conversely, your 50 mW into a realizable antenna will
result in a little under 400,000 uV/meter at 3 meters.

Good luck.

John
Old April 20th 05, 02:47 PM
Spajky

On 19 Apr 2005 08:10:40 -0700, "erichmadison"
wrote:

low power FM transmission.
. I just purchased
a 50mW FM transmitter for playing music in my home.

it is Ok for few tenth meters range & IMHO enough low power not to
have problems fith FCC ...
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com