Old May 9th 05, 08:01 PM
Netgeek

Default Suggestions for VHF-AM Transmitter?

Quite a few weeks ago I posted looking for info on VHF-AM receivers and
received a number of pointers to additional resources and study material.
Thanks
to all who responded and, in particular, to Pete-KE9OA who has been a
tremendous help!

Since then, several protos/learning platforms have been built and I'm
pleased
with the results overall - great learning experience (which continues).

Now I'm interested in the transmit side of the equation and have been poring
over the 'net and other materials/articles trying to get a grip on this
part. So far
I have a block diagram (or "blockhead" diagram more accurately 8-) of a two
stage Mosfet widget using some VHF parts from Mitsubishi. Specifically, I'm
thinking:

20 mW LO input - RD00HVS1 Mosfet - .5W - RD06HVF1 Mosfet = ~6W
output. Modulation either transformerless (or transformer) using something
like
an audio amp (e.g. LM384) after suitable compression/limiting. Net result
that
I'm after is approximately 6W output using a 12-18VDC supply. So...........

If anyone here can point out some worthwhile texts, articles, or similar
designs
that might apply I'd be grateful.

BTW, before this sets off a string of cautionary tales and admonishments
about
newbie nitwits playing with transmitters (especially at Airband
frequencies) - I
can tell you this is a "bench only" project intended to feed a well-grounded
10W/50ohm dummy load ONLY... Are you kidding? I live in Arlington, VA -
within walking distance of some of the world's biggest paranoids. I already
worry
about the splatter created by the blender when the wife and I mix up a batch
of Margueritas! (we try not to simulate any "modulation" by hitting the
"pulse"
button 8-).........

Thanks for any help,
Bill

Old May 14th 05, 01:15 AM
Netgeek

Still looking for some pointers and/or advice on current AM
transmitter design. There doesn't seem to be much out there
apart from the "pirates" who are building SW transmitters
around 5W or so...(e.g. the "Grenade" QRP transmitters and
similar designs)...

Is AM ("Ancient Modulation") considered dead and therefore
there are no links/publications worth reading?

Bill

Old May 14th 05, 01:55 AM
John Smith

Just run the output of any audio source of ~5 watts into a "modulation
transformer" and have the B+ to the transmitter pass through its
secondary...

You can also construct an audio amplifier whose output power final
"modulates" (perhaps the B+ from the audio amps final transistor/tube) the
B+ to the xmitter... etc... ssb is by nature 2X-plus more efficient... fm
supports greater sound quality...

I think detail about it is skipped simply because it is so easy to
affect....

Warmest regards,
John
--
Marbles can be used in models with excellent results! However, if forced
to keep using all of mine up... I may end up at a disadvantage... I seem

Old May 15th 05, 01:23 AM
Netgeek

So you're saying that there's no info because it's far too simple - so why
bother to write it up in a text or app note?

Surely there is some small amount of "finesse" involved - whether it be in
the implementation of the modulation transformer or in trying to get the
optimum modulation levels in general. Nobody has covered this in a text?

I'm sure I could come up with some brute-force approach in doing the
high-level modulation using a kludge transformer (the "grenade" guys
are using simple line level transformers run "backwards")...

Either there's a more "scientific" approach to this or, as you suggest,
it's always done empirically??? Just wondering......

Bill

Old May 15th 05, 01:33 AM
John Smith

Did you google for "plate modulation" or "grid modulation"... you should
turn something up there... even if you come across info for tube equip.,
the info is still just as accurate for transistor equip....

How about a trip to a used book store in your area to see what is available?

I see your point, I didn't say that correctly...

You are right, the information should be more available--its missing may
just be a lack of interest or anyone building am equip these days...

The pirate group and "freebanders" have groups, but you have to know someone
to be allowed into their discussions... I know "hidden chat rooms" exist on
IRC... but I have never been invited...

Warmest regards,
John
--
Marbles can be used in models with excellent results! However, if forced
to keep using all of mine up... I may end up at a disadvantage... I seem
to have misplaced some already!!!

Old May 15th 05, 01:41 AM
xpyttl

"Netgeek" wrote in message
So you're saying that there's no info because it's far too simple - so why
bother to write it up in a text or app note?

I suspect there's just not much interest in VHF AM. At least the HF AMers
have a world to find contacts in. Contacts on VHF are pretty much local,
and the probablility of finding a fellow AMer on VHF locally are vanishingly
small.

Indeed, why would someone use AM on VHF? If you don't like the sound of
sideband, use FM. If you simply want to get the message through, use
packet. If you want to operate under adverse conditions, use CW. AM has
precious few advantages in this day and age.

If you look in old issues of the Handbook, you will find designs for VHF AM
gear. If you hang around hamfests, you might uncover a twoer or sixer that
might still be coaxed into working. But mostly you will find tube gear from
an age when FM was complex and finicky.

But today, VHF FM is ubiquitous and cheap, so any AM equipment is playing to
a tiny niche.

Old May 15th 05, 04:43 PM
RST Engineering

The last bastion of VHF-AM is aircraft, both civilian and military. The
civilian aircraft com band goes from 118-137 MHz. and the military from
somewhere around 225 to 400. Those of us who have spent our lives in this
little corner of the design world are few and far between.

As to those who say that AM is so simple that anybody could do it, I
respectfully disagree. I even DISrespectfully disagree. Trying to
amplitude modulate a synthesized AM radio without having as much FM in the
output as AM is no mean feat. In the old vacuum tube days with crystals for
the synthesizer it isn't all that difficult. However, with digital
synthesis and VCOs that will FM at the drop of a hat, it is far from
trivial. Shielding to the center of the earth and power supplies bypassed
from DC to daylight are the order of the day.

Jim

Old May 15th 05, 04:55 PM
John Smith

This page shows a modulation xfrmr from an audio amp modulating a PA final
xistor--if that is difficult it is, if not--it is not... this is only a
simple drawing--but yeah, it is pretty much like that...

Warmest regards,
John
--
If "God"--expecting an angel... if evolution--expecting an alien... just
wondering if I will be able to tell the difference!

Old May 16th 05, 02:39 PM
Netgeek

"xpyttl" wrote in message

I suspect there's just not much interest in VHF AM. At least the HF AMers
have a world to find contacts in. Contacts on VHF are pretty much local,
and the probablility of finding a fellow AMer on VHF locally are

vanishingly
small.

snip

I can certainly see your point and I agree completely - insofar as it
applies to general applications. My interest is in the aviation bands where
AM is very much alive and well (and required). There's probably about
zip-nada-squat of interest happening in amateur VHF-AM for the reasons
you mention. But there was certainly some interesting traffic on the
airband frequencies here in Washington the other day when that nitwit in
the Cessna came breezing in....!!! 8-)

Bill

Old May 16th 05, 03:07 PM
Netgeek

"RST Engineering" wrote in message:

The last bastion of VHF-AM is aircraft, both civilian and military. The
civilian aircraft com band goes from 118-137 MHz. and the military from
somewhere around 225 to 400. Those of us who have spent our lives in this
little corner of the design world are few and far between.

This is what I'm discovering. Not only are the people involved few and
far between but so is much of the documented background material
anyone new to the scene might rely on for help....8-( I hope some of
the old-timers will scribble some of this stuff down while they're still
around!

As for the "simplicity" theory - you've hit it spot on with your following
comments. For example, roll-your-own VCOs are only a few bucks
and pretty easy. Off-the-shelf Minicircuits types (e.g. POS-200) are
only a few bucks more. But it sure is interesting to note that Minicircuits
has a new line of VCOs *specifically* for "aircraft communications"
with an asking price of nearly $50 (yipes!)... The difference - VERY
low phase noise.

Apparently there are quite a few variables in implementation of these
"simple" designs - and what you can hear out there on the band is all
over the map. The difference in perceived quality between the "good"
radios and the really "rat-s**t" radios is amazing - and that's listening to
aircraft under identical conditions (for example over the same VOR
checkpoint). Sure leads me to believe that there isn't a set "formula" for
this stuff.......8-)

Bill

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Shortwave 14 November 16th 04 09:55 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Swap 1 November 15th 04 10:21 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Scanner 0 November 15th 04 02:19 AM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Homebrew 0 November 15th 04 02:17 AM