Old June 7th 05, 11:02 PM
MadEngineer

Default Clean Transmitters

Wes Hayward in _Experimental Methods for RF Design_ bemoans the fact
that our transmitters are so dirty in terms of noise floor, close-in
phase noise and IMD. I see newer transmitters like the Mark V offer a
cleaner class A mode which really seems to help IMD, and read a
wonder if there are any homebrewers out there who are working this
problem? This seems the type of problem that we hams can and do ignore
completely, unless we are contesters or have a neighbor on the bands.

Regards,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN

Old June 7th 05, 11:33 PM
Eamon Skelton

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:02:38 -0700, MadEngineer wrote:

Wes Hayward in _Experimental Methods for RF Design_ bemoans the fact that
our transmitters are so dirty in terms of noise floor, close-in phase
noise and IMD.

This is not such a big issue at HF where band noise
is relatively high. Keeping noise and distortion to
a minimum is a lot more important on VHF where noise
is low, local stations are very strong and everyone
has an ultra low noise preamp. I can operate within
+/- a few KHz of some of the cleaner local VHF stations.
Some of the nastier ones need about 30KHz of elbow
room.

any homebrewers out there who are working this problem?

Many homebrewers put a lot of effort into keeping
phase noise and IMD to an absolute minimum. Some
of the cleanest signals on the 80M band can be
heard on the homebrew net frequency (3.727MHz).

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
Remove 'X' to reply via e-mail.
Linux 2.6.11

Old June 8th 05, 01:00 AM
Harold E. Johnson

Many homebrewers put a lot of effort into keeping
phase noise and IMD to an absolute minimum. Some
of the cleanest signals on the 80M band can be
heard on the homebrew net frequency (3.727MHz).

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

Hi Ed, now get them all to get on at say 05, 0600Z so we can have the

propagation to do that.

Regards
W4ZCB

Old June 9th 05, 10:32 AM
Eamon Skelton

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:00:54 +0000, Harold E. Johnson wrote:

Hi Ed, now get them all to get on at say 05, 0600Z so we can have the
propagation to do that.

Regards
W4ZCB

Hi Harold,
The homebrew net gang are never heard during the hours
of darkness. They probably build rigs during the night
and operate during the day :-)

It should be quite easy to make contact on 17M. I would
like to give it a try sometime. I have yet to work a
homebrew SSB rig from the USA.

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

--
Remove 'X' to reply via e-mail.
Linux 2.6.11

Old June 9th 05, 11:10 AM
Harold E. Johnson

Hi Ed, now get them all to get on at say 05, 0600Z so we can have the
propagation to do that.

Regards
W4ZCB

Hi Harold,
The homebrew net gang are never heard during the hours
of darkness. They probably build rigs during the night
and operate during the day :-)

It should be quite easy to make contact on 17M. I would
like to give it a try sometime. I have yet to work a
homebrew SSB rig from the USA.

73, Ed. EI9GQ.

GM Ed

Well, I can cure your problem, and give you something to cover that hole in
the wall at the same time if you'd get busy on a STAR offspring. The
alternative frequency to 3.727 is 14.305 or 14.307 when some net is in
operation. I've worked 10 STARS up there and have made up a little WAS
certificate for guys that have done likewise. So far, Peter got number one,
Alessandro number 2 and a really weak contact with DL9 (he was running 20
watts to a field day dipole on a day with REALLY lousy propagation) gave me
number 3. (Peter has an endorsement for working 20 of them!)

I know what you mean, we have way too much money over this way (We keep
spending money we don't have, THAT will change) and homebrew is a dying
artform. I make a lot of contacts where the guy on the other end responds
with "yours is the first homebrew transceiver I've EVER worked." My Signal
One hasn't been turned on in over a year and thinking of getting rid of it.

There IS hope. After Dayton, we have two more under construction, one in NJ
and one in GA.

Regards, County Cork almost got invaded last Spring to see you, but we loved
Goray so much, I only made it down to Waterford. You live in a beautiful
part of the world.

Melt solder!

W4ZCB

Old June 8th 05, 02:48 AM
xpyttl

"MadEngineer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Wes Hayward in _Experimental Methods for RF Design_ bemoans the fact

but wonder if there are any homebrewers out there who are working this
problem?

You don't suppose Wes may have homebrewed a rig or two in his time?

Old June 8th 05, 02:05 PM
MadEngineer

He has indeed.

But what he was writing about would be something like a method that
enables a medium power (tunable, not crystal-controlled) transmitter
that, while transmitting SSB, still allows reception of adjacent weak
signals from a receiver connected to a nearby separate antenna. At the
time of Wes's writing, it seemed clear to this reader that Wes believed
this technology didn't exist, at least in the amateur community. Since
his writing I haven't really seen the problem addressed beyond what I
mentioned in my first post, and I was asking if anyone knew anything
more.

Regards,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN

Old June 8th 05, 03:00 PM
Harold E. Johnson

But what he was writing about would be something like a method that
enables a medium power (tunable, not crystal-controlled) transmitter
that, while transmitting SSB, still allows reception of adjacent weak
signals from a receiver connected to a nearby separate antenna. At the
time of Wes's writing, it seemed clear to this reader that Wes believed
this technology didn't exist, at least in the amateur community. Since
his writing I haven't really seen the problem addressed beyond what I
mentioned in my first post, and I was asking if anyone knew anything
more.

Regards,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN

You're describing the oscillator phase noise problem, and since G3SBI's
unveiling of the "H"-mode mixer, THE compromise to a "perfect" radio.

All oscillators have some degree of phase noise, from a poorly designed VFO,
to a well designed one, (One of the better is Gumms class C design featured
in several of Haywards books). The DDS has VERY little phase noise, but has
substituted serious problems with spurious content in it's spectrum, and use
of a PLL to get rid of those results in phase noise again (outside the loop
bandwidth)

Lots of folks working on it, the same G3SBI has come up with a multiple
resonator VCO for his PLL in the CDG2000. While it has had some technical
criticism, Tibor Hajder has established that the concept is theoretically
sound and results in a faster roll-off of phase noise than the single
resonator approach. (Applied Microwave and Wireless, Oct 2002)

That same problem from the interference caused by the "lousy" transmitter,
will be encountered from the phase noise of the local oscillator of the
"receiver connected to a nearby separate antenna". Unless of course, the RX
is a TRF design with no LO.

W4ZCB

Old June 9th 05, 05:34 PM
MadEngineer

Thanks, Harold, I appreciate the info and will try to find the article.

Phase noise is but one of the problems Wes mentions, and on the
transmitter side he makes it clear the IMD particularly in the
transmitter final stage needs work and is perhaps the largest of the
problems on the transmitter side. Wes implies that he can actually
hear such distortion simply by listening to the band (I don't know what
to listen for beyond a particularly wide-frequency signal). Chris
Trask has done excellent work on this, but haven't seen actual IMD
numbers from his techniques.

I'm currently thinking a poor IMD transmitter would only be a problem
in a wideband mode such as SSB or SSTV. Though in theory a poor IMD
transmitter might cause keyclicks in CW (I really haven't thought this
out), I doubt this is much of a problem.

Regards,
Glenn Dixon, AC7ZN

Old June 9th 05, 06:15 PM
MadEngineer

I'm sorry, Harold, I don't know that 'TRF' stands for. Is that
somehting similar to TSDR 'true software defined radio'? That is, an
A/D hooked directly to an antenna?
Glenn