Old June 30th 05, 10:23 PM
Dale Parfitt

Default CB -->6M Conversion?

After seeing the post re CB to 10M FM conversion I got to wondering if
anyone is aware of a conversion for the Hy Gain 02A boards to 6M AM or FM
(Melco and many others used this board for the 10M FM conversion). I still
have some boards left.
I built many of the Melco kits years back and another from HR or 73 that
has 10M digital readout, noise squelch and repeater splits- still have the
rig and in use.

Dale W4OP

Old June 30th 05, 11:13 PM
Tim Wescott

Dale Parfitt wrote:

After seeing the post re CB to 10M FM conversion I got to wondering if
anyone is aware of a conversion for the Hy Gain 02A boards to 6M AM or FM
(Melco and many others used this board for the 10M FM conversion). I still
have some boards left.
I built many of the Melco kits years back and another from HR or 73 that
has 10M digital readout, noise squelch and repeater splits- still have the
rig and in use.

Dale W4OP

That would be quite a bit more difficult -- Going from 27MHz CB to 29MHz
amatuer radio bands is just a 10% frequency change. Going from 27MHz to
50MHz is almost a doubling, and with older components it may require not
just different component values but even different circuit topologies to
make it successful.

But it would be interesting if anyone made it work...

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old July 1st 05, 12:38 AM
Michael Black

"Dale Parfitt" ) writes:
After seeing the post re CB to 10M FM conversion I got to wondering if
anyone is aware of a conversion for the Hy Gain 02A boards to 6M AM or FM
(Melco and many others used this board for the 10M FM conversion). I still
have some boards left.
I built many of the Melco kits years back and another from HR or 73 that
has 10M digital readout, noise squelch and repeater splits- still have the
rig and in use.

Dale W4OP

Yes, there was such a conversion article in "73", I want to say 1982, but
it might have been a year or two later. That's as specific as I can get.

The premise was that since the CB sets had high side injection, the image
was close to the 6meter band. YOu had to modify the output circuits of
the transmitter, and the front end of the receiver, but the PLL was almost
there. A shift of a few MHz, if I recall, and the solution I'm picturing
is a putting in a crystal oscillator to mix the VCO down to frequency
where the variable divider kicks in. (As standard, again from memory,
the 10.240MHz oscillator that is divided down to be the reference in
the PLL is normally used in this premixer.)

I seem to recall some years back finding a bibliography of all those
CB to ham conversion articles somewhere on the internet. It might
be worth doing some searching to narrow down exactly when that 6M conversion
article was.

Michael VE2BVW

Date: 12-08-94 (05:55) Number: 642
From: ROB DENNIS Refer#: NONE
To: ALL Recvd: NO
Subj: cybernet 6meters Conf: (81) F-HAM

Something for those who want to do 6 meters on the cheap.
I have NOT tried this as I have yet to find a CYBERNET chassis to
work on that has not been "screwdrivered" by someone else.
This conoversion should work on all PTBM49A0X AM/SSB chassis boards.
This includes the :SEARS 60006
HyGain V
RCA CoPilot (14t302)
Citizen M-6 /MPL-5
DAK Mark X (ten)
Midland 6006
When I can find something to do this conversion on,I will post my
results.
If I can find or come up with any other mods for 11 to 6 conversion I
will post those.

CONVERSION BEGINS:excuse the typos,original authors.
___-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CYBERNET
From:
hello all
here is the mod for taking 11 metre cybernet radios to 6 m
as i have been asked by many people for it
so here it is:

Pearce Simpson Model A18
Conversion to 6M SSB
by VK4FXX / VK4ZGF
-------------------

Here is 6M mod for Pearce Simpson Super Panther and other brands using the
Cybenet type circuit board. ( Digital channel readout prefered )

****** Ensure CB is working correctly before starting mods ******

Replace X1 Xtal with one of the following of your choice....

10.97625 Mhz .................. Band 52.050 - 52.480 for 40 ch switch
10.15175 Mhz .................. Band 50.020 - 50.240 for 40 ch switch

Band 52.050 - 52.480 / 10Khz channel spacing ....

Xtal freq = ( Freq TX - 10.692 ) + 2.55
--------------------------

Band 50.020 - 50.240 / 5Khz channel spacing .....

Xtal Freq = ( Freq TX - 10.692 ) + 1.275
--------------------------
4

Receive Section
----------------------------------

C 100 Replace with 8.2pf- 12pf until T7 peaks ( see alignment )
T 8 Remove internal tubular cap and replace with 8.2pf on back
of PCB
T9 Same as T8
T7 No mods required
C 104 Replace with 1.8pf cap ( all caps disc ceramic low voltage )

TX Section
---------------------------------------

C 42 Replace with 1.8pf
C 185 Remove ( no cap )
C 47 22pf
C 53,54,55 By experiment can be varied from 100 - 150 pf fpr max tx OP
C 56 22pf
C 57 56 pf
C 184 Remove ( no cap )

Coils and Transformers
---------------------------------

T4,T5 Remove internal tubular caps and replace with 8.2pf under PCB
T 6 Leave same
L7 Leave 1 3/4 turns left
L11 Leave 2 1/2 turns left ( remove one turn )
L13 Leave 1 1/2 turns left ( experiment )
L12 leave 4 turns left ( remove one turn )

L201 remove and replace with straight wire link ( rear of SO 239 )

CYBERNET.1
Final Transistors
----------------------------

Replace Q9 with 2SC1306 / replace Q10 with 2SC1307 fpr 10 watts OP
Original transistors will give approx 5 watts OP

PLL Alignment
-------------------------

Test gear required
-------------------
Freq counter to 60 Mhz, Digital VOM, 15Mhz CRO

For 50 Mhz only....earth pin 4 of PLL 02A for 5Khz steps
Connect counter at TP2 through 1000pf cap and adjust CT3 for 10.240 Mhz

Connect CRO and counter at TP3 and adjust T3 for max amptitude.
Counter should show Xtal freq X2 ( USB only )
Set clarifier at mid position
Adjust CT1 and CT2 so that TP3 reads 21.95272 approx on counter

FREQUENCIES AT IC2

Pin 4=21.95272 reference osc input
Pin 2=19.40272 vco input
Pin 9=2.55 approx loop error signal

VCO Alignment
-------------------------------

Connect VOM to TP1 and adjust VCO slug for the following.....

40 Channel 10 khz spacings CH1 2.8-3 volts
CH40 3.8-4 volts

40 Channel 5 khz spacings CH1 2.0 volts
CH40 2.8 volts
(Voltages not critical)

Receiver Alignment
-----------------------------------

Peak T7 T8 T9 for max received signal
Peak T1 T2 T3 for max sensitivity

Transmitter Alignment
------------------------------------

Align on USB only.....Adjust T4 T5 T6 / L7 L11 L12 L13 for
max. power OP.

NOTE If set oscilates in TX with no audio mod applied, go back and
re-adjust T4 T5 ( reasonably critical )

Check for equal OP on CH 1 and CH40

Old July 1st 05, 02:11 PM
Eskay

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:23:03 GMT, Dale Parfitt wrote:

After seeing the post re CB to 10M FM conversion I got to wondering if
anyone is aware of a conversion for the Hy Gain 02A boards to 6M AM or FM
(Melco and many others used this board for the 10M FM conversion). I still
have some boards left.
I built many of the Melco kits years back and another from HR or 73 that
has 10M digital readout, noise squelch and repeater splits- still have the
rig and in use.

Dale W4OP

James Patterson KB5LF had an article in 73 Mag back in February 1985.
It also used the HY-Gain boards.
5 pages and I will scan on request.
See my E-mail address under the CB to 10 listing.
73 de VE3JUA

Old July 1st 05, 03:26 PM
atec

http://members.tripod.com/~Malzev/radiodoc/sixmeter.htm
Old July 20th 05, 10:51 PM

Try doing a search for ZR1EV. He had some good info posted on the net
regarding CB to Six. I was able to convert an old Midland 13-892. Rig
is crystal controlled and it was a pretty big job. Worked fair when it
was finished, but a GREAT education ! E-mail if you ahve any more
questions.

Mike N2JVT