RadioBanter

-   -   Unknown Component (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/73990-unknown-component.html)

Win July 4th 05 07:15 PM

Unknown Component

Pulled a high speed vacuum relay, Jennings RJ1A, out the other day
that I was saving for a QSK mod to my old amp. There is component
across the windings of this relay that I can not identify. It is
soldered, or silver soldered, to the winding terminals. It is about
3/16 square, yellow, and has the following markings: JAVX 8652 AA M390
14/01 1553.

Here is a slightly out of focus picture.
http://home.alltel.net/winlyn/RJ1A.jpg

Anyone?????

Win, W0LZ

Tim Wescott July 4th 05 07:28 PM

Win wrote:

Pulled a high speed vacuum relay, Jennings RJ1A, out the other day
that I was saving for a QSK mod to my old amp. There is component
across the windings of this relay that I can not identify. It is
soldered, or silver soldered, to the winding terminals. It is about
3/16 square, yellow, and has the following markings: JAVX 8652 AA M390
14/01 1553.

Here is a slightly out of focus picture.
http://home.alltel.net/winlyn/RJ1A.jpg

Anyone?????

Win, W0LZ

It's a rectangular ceramic cap, _possibly_ 39pF ('cause of the "M390"
marking). Those things have military catalog numbers and don't
necessarily include the actual value printed on the cap, which is a pain
if you have a mixed bag of them, or if you have one on a board and want
to know it's value.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Win July 4th 05 09:43 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:28:42 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Win wrote:

Pulled a high speed vacuum relay, Jennings RJ1A, out the other day
that I was saving for a QSK mod to my old amp. There is component
across the windings of this relay that I can not identify. It is
soldered, or silver soldered, to the winding terminals. It is about
3/16 square, yellow, and has the following markings: JAVX 8652 AA M390
14/01 1553.

Here is a slightly out of focus picture.
http://home.alltel.net/winlyn/RJ1A.jpg

Anyone?????

Win, W0LZ

It's a rectangular ceramic cap, _possibly_ 39pF ('cause of the "M390"
marking). Those things have military catalog numbers and don't
necessarily include the actual value printed on the cap, which is a pain
if you have a mixed bag of them, or if you have one on a board and want
to know it's value.

Thanks, Tim. I think you are correct. Rich Measures, KG6K, said it
could be an MOV, which is a capacitive device.. What eve it is,
exactly, I think I am going to leave it in the circuit. I can't see
it hurting anything.

win, w0lz

Jim July 16th 05 07:35 PM

i am not highly qualified as an electronics guy so maybe this is stupid,
but isnt that a cap to reduce the spark as the contacts open? an old
points ignition condenser is for that purpose and it is .02 mfd

Win July 17th 05 06:43 PM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:35:08 -0500, (Jim)
wrote:

i am not highly qualified as an electronics guy so maybe this is stupid,
but isnt that a cap to reduce the spark as the contacts open? an old
points ignition condenser is for that purpose and it is .02 mfd

Maybe you are more qualified than youy think. Yes, it is a MilSpec
cap, probably for that exact purpose.

Win, W0LZl

Steve Nosko July 25th 05 09:00 PM

wrote:

i am not highly qualified as an electronics guy so maybe this is stupid,
but isnt that a cap to reduce the spark as the contacts open? an old
points ignition condenser is for that purpose and it is .02 mfd

Maybe you are more qualified than youy think. Yes, it is a MilSpec
cap, probably for that exact purpose.

Win, W0LZl

drifting OT.

Actually, the Point condenser formed a resonant circuit with the coil to
produce a much larger kick and resulting spark.

73, Steve, (kDCI