Old July 4th 05, 07:15 PM
Win

Default Unknown Component

Pulled a high speed vacuum relay, Jennings RJ1A, out the other day
that I was saving for a QSK mod to my old amp. There is component
across the windings of this relay that I can not identify. It is
soldered, or silver soldered, to the winding terminals. It is about
3/16 square, yellow, and has the following markings: JAVX 8652 AA M390
14/01 1553.

Here is a slightly out of focus picture.
http://home.alltel.net/winlyn/RJ1A.jpg

Anyone?????

Win, W0LZ
Old July 4th 05, 07:28 PM
Tim Wescott

Win wrote:

Pulled a high speed vacuum relay, Jennings RJ1A, out the other day
that I was saving for a QSK mod to my old amp. There is component
across the windings of this relay that I can not identify. It is
soldered, or silver soldered, to the winding terminals. It is about
3/16 square, yellow, and has the following markings: JAVX 8652 AA M390
14/01 1553.

Here is a slightly out of focus picture.
http://home.alltel.net/winlyn/RJ1A.jpg

Anyone?????

Win, W0LZ

It's a rectangular ceramic cap, _possibly_ 39pF ('cause of the "M390"
marking). Those things have military catalog numbers and don't
necessarily include the actual value printed on the cap, which is a pain
if you have a mixed bag of them, or if you have one on a board and want
to know it's value.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old July 4th 05, 09:43 PM
Win

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:28:42 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Win wrote:

Pulled a high speed vacuum relay, Jennings RJ1A, out the other day
that I was saving for a QSK mod to my old amp. There is component
across the windings of this relay that I can not identify. It is
soldered, or silver soldered, to the winding terminals. It is about
3/16 square, yellow, and has the following markings: JAVX 8652 AA M390
14/01 1553.

Here is a slightly out of focus picture.
http://home.alltel.net/winlyn/RJ1A.jpg

Anyone?????

Win, W0LZ

It's a rectangular ceramic cap, _possibly_ 39pF ('cause of the "M390"
marking). Those things have military catalog numbers and don't
necessarily include the actual value printed on the cap, which is a pain
if you have a mixed bag of them, or if you have one on a board and want
to know it's value.

Thanks, Tim. I think you are correct. Rich Measures, KG6K, said it
could be an MOV, which is a capacitive device.. What eve it is,
exactly, I think I am going to leave it in the circuit. I can't see
it hurting anything.

win, w0lz

Old July 16th 05, 07:35 PM
Jim

i am not highly qualified as an electronics guy so maybe this is stupid,
but isnt that a cap to reduce the spark as the contacts open? an old
points ignition condenser is for that purpose and it is .02 mfd