Old July 22nd 05, 10:25 PM
Polymath

Default A F.A.Q. for Ham Radio

What is Ham Radio?

Ham Radio is a technical pursuit for those who
are interested in the science of radio wave
propagation and who are also interested in the
way that their radios function. It has a long-standing
tradition of providing a source of engineers who
are born naturals.

Ham Radio awakens in its aficionados a whole-life
fascination with all things technical and gives
an all-abiding curiosity to improve one's scientific
knowledge. It's a great swimming pool, please dive in!

This excitement causes a wish to share the experience
with ones fellow man, and shows itself in the
gentlemanly traditions of Ham Radio.

Radio Hams are qualified to design, build and then
operate their own pieces of equipment. They do this
with gusto, and also repair and modify their own
equipment.

The excitement that drives a Radio Ham starts with
relatively simple technologies at first, perhaps making
his own Wimshurst machine and primary cells. Small pieces
of test equipment follow, possibly multimeters and signal
generators. Then comes receivers and transmitters. It is with
the latter that communication with like-minded technically
motivated people takes off. The scope for technical
development grows with the years
and now encompasses DSP and DDS. There is also a great deal
of excitement in the areas of computer programming to
be learnt and applied.

The technical excitement motivates Radio Hams to compete
with each other to determine who has designed and manufactured
the best-quality station. This competitiveness is found in DXing,
competitions and fox-hunts.

-----OOOOO----

However, beware! A Ham Radio licence is such a
desirable thing to have that there are large
numbers of people who wish to be thought of
as Radio Hams when, in fact, they are nothing
of the kind! Usually such people are a
variation of the CB Radio hobbyist; they buy their
radios off the shelf and send them back to be
repaired; they are not interested in technical discussion
and sneer at those who are; they have no idea how
their radios work inside and have no wish to find out;
they are free with rather silly personal insults;
they have not satisfied any technical qualification
and their licences prevent the use of
self-designed-and-built equipment.

These CB types engage in the competitive activities
with their Cheque-Book-purchased off-the-shelf radios
in a forlorn effort to prove that they are Radio Hams.

No _REAL_ Radio Hams are deceived by such people!

Old July 22nd 05, 11:35 PM
Tom Donaly

Polymath wrote:
[...]

Another day, another wretched, little troll from another
mediocre mind so filled with the desire to be recognized it has to
argue phantasms so people will notice. As has commonly been said,
it's more to be pitied than scorned.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old July 22nd 05, 11:39 PM
Spike

Tom Donaly wrote:

Another day, another wretched, little troll from another
mediocre mind so filled with the desire to be recognized it has to
argue phantasms so people will notice. As has commonly been said,
it's more to be pitied than scorned.

Quite. But there's no need to repost the whole bloody thing.

from
Aero Spike
Old July 23rd 05, 01:45 AM
Tom Donaly

Spike wrote:
Tom Donaly wrote:

Another day, another wretched, little troll from another
mediocre mind so filled with the desire to be recognized it has to
argue phantasms so people will notice. As has commonly been said,
it's more to be pitied than scorned.

Quite. But there's no need to repost the whole bloody thing.

from
Aero Spike

Ah, a fine example of childish, British pique. How superior of you.
I'll tell you what, m'boy. From now on, I'll send all my posts to
you before I post them so you can rewrite them to your satisfaction.
Ha, ha! I've never read a more stereotypical post.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Old July 23rd 05, 02:11 AM
Chris Kirby

Tom Donaly wrote:
Spike wrote:
Tom Donaly wrote:

Another day, another wretched, little troll from another
mediocre mind so filled with the desire to be recognized it has to
argue phantasms so people will notice. As has commonly been said,
it's more to be pitied than scorned.

Quite. But there's no need to repost the whole bloody thing.

from
Aero Spike

Ah, a fine example of childish, British pique. How superior of you.
I'll tell you what, m'boy. From now on, I'll send all my posts to
you before I post them so you can rewrite them to your satisfaction.

Good idea. Thanks.

--
Chris
Old July 23rd 05, 09:07 AM
Spike

Tom Donaly wrote:

Spike wrote:
Tom Donaly wrote:

Another day, another wretched, little troll from another
mediocre mind so filled with the desire to be recognized it has to
argue phantasms so people will notice. As has commonly been said,
it's more to be pitied than scorned.

Quite. But there's no need to repost the whole bloody thing.

from
Aero Spike

Ah, a fine example of childish, British pique. How superior of you.
I'll tell you what, m'boy. From now on, I'll send all my posts to
you before I post them so you can rewrite them to your satisfaction.
Ha, ha! I've never read a more stereotypical post.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Technically speaking, your post was at best impolite. There are plenty
of people who have killfiled the OP, and your thoughtless action
resulted in their KFs being bypassed. There are also plenty of people
on dialup, who may have already downloaded the OP's rubbish, and don't
want to pay again to download yet another copy. And, by the way, I
suggest you put further posts where the sun doesn't shine.

from
Aero Spike
Old July 23rd 05, 03:10 PM
Tom Donaly

Spike wrote:
Tom Donaly wrote:

Spike wrote:

Tom Donaly wrote:

[...]

Struck a nerve, did I? Well, you'll recover, eventually.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old July 23rd 05, 12:50 PM
Polymath

The person with whom you are in discourse below, AKA "RVMJ",
AKA "Mrs.Nugatory" is well-renowned for having the pedantic
mind associated with a 13-year-old.

"Tom Donaly" wrote in message
m...

Old July 23rd 05, 01:47 PM

Can't figure why an individual needs to qualify a group as diverse as
amateur radio operators in such a manner as this. Trying to describe
amateurs is like trying to determine what color of blue the sky is.
However, if only more ham were curious about how their gear worked or
liked to experiment or had the patience (most important) to design
their own gear. Sadly, many couldn't work their way through a block
diagram of their simplest gear and don't have the desire to study and
learn. I guess most hams have heard by now that the code requirements
will be eliminated from the US licensing requirements. My hope is that
there will be an influx of technically inclined/curious people who
prior to the proposed change were not interested in CW and now will
consider becoming amateurs. Homebrew is not the endall for being a
"good" ham and is not for some any more than participating in public
service should be. It is just interesting if not exciting to see what
clever circuits that some guys (many non amateur) design. I consider
myself a very average homebrewer, perhaps a "bit" behind the technology
of today as I still build some tube gear. But over the last year the
most satisfying contacts I have made have been with amateurs that had
complete scratch state of the art homebrew stations. It was interesting
pitting my 70's and 80's technology against their state of the art
though.

Don K5UOS