Old August 9th 05, 07:07 AM

Default Gain of 2N3866 at Lower Voltages

Hi All,

Does anyone know what's the power gain of a 2N3866 at 9, 12 and 14
volts? I know that the 2N3866 has a gain of 10dB at 28 volts.

C.W.

Old August 9th 05, 05:29 PM
K7ITM

As Allison wrote, the gain depends on the operating conditions other
than just collector supply voltage. However, a reasonable rule of
thumb if you don't change the operating class or circuit topology, but
do adjust the output matching network as appropriate, is that the gain
would change by 3dB per doubling of supply voltage (or -3dB for halving
it). Think of it this way: you get the same current, and you're only
changing the voltage. Power equals voltage times current. Of course,
you're limited by the transistor's breakdown voltage, and too much gain
can lead to instabilities. And at very low voltages, you need to
consider the transistor's saturation voltage.

Cheers,
Tom

Old August 9th 05, 09:10 PM

K7ITM wrote:
As Allison wrote, the gain depends on the operating conditions other
than just collector supply voltage. However, a reasonable rule of
thumb if you don't change the operating class or circuit topology, but
do adjust the output matching network as appropriate, is that the gain
would change by 3dB per doubling of supply voltage (or -3dB for halving
it). Think of it this way: you get the same current, and you're only
changing the voltage. Power equals voltage times current. Of course,
you're limited by the transistor's breakdown voltage, and too much gain
can lead to instabilities. And at very low voltages, you need to
consider the transistor's saturation voltage.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom and Allison,

Thanks for your replies. The reason I'm asking is that I built two
class A small signal VHF stages using 2N3866's, powered by 14 volts,
and I'm getting only 2 to 3 dB gain per stage. Then, I was told to
change the transistors to 2N4427, which are 12 volt devices. Would the
gain improve by changing to 2N4427's? Please explain saturation
voltage. Thanks,

C.W.

Old August 9th 05, 10:50 PM
Roy Lewallen

Many factors influence a stage's power gain other than the intrinsic
gain of the transistor itself. Changes in circuit components and/or
topology are more likely to modify the gain than changing the transistor
type.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Narrow lobe of a yagi [email protected] Antenna 43 March 29th 05 07:07 PM
A' little' db extra gain ! art Antenna 66 February 2nd 05 06:00 AM
Current in loading coil, EZNEC - helix Yuri Blanarovich Antenna 334 November 9th 04 05:45 PM
Antenna tuner Matthew&Wendy Antenna 68 August 10th 04 12:32 PM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM