Old August 16th 05, 09:33 PM
ZZZZPK

"G1LVN \(for it is he\)" wrote:

: I went to university of course when we found a new use for the spectrum
: analyser - listening to Radio 1 in the lab mainly.

you mean you didnt use it to heat the place on a cold morning ?

Old August 17th 05, 12:08 AM
James F. Mayer

"ZZZZPK "

wrote in message ...
"G1LVN \(for it is he\)" wrote:

: I went to university of course when we found a new use for the spectrum
: analyser - listening to Radio 1 in the lab mainly.

you mean you didnt use it to heat the place on a cold morning ?

That's what you use the Tektronix 555 for.

Old August 20th 05, 11:50 AM
ZZZZPK

"James F. Mayer" wrote:

: you mean you didnt use it to heat the place on a cold morning ?
:
: That's what you use the Tektronix 555 for.

tee hee...

had a dream the other night that i was back fixing 621-a3's !!

Old August 21st 05, 01:36 AM
G1LVN \(for it is he\)

"Tim Shoppa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cellphones don't really have a well-defined module like the TV tuner in
them. They aren't broadband in the same way. Their synthesizers are
not broadband either.

You obviously not seen the design to make a Nokia 3310 into a Cellphone
jammer. - Simple sweep osillator curcuit built on veroboard into the battery
compartment ? Just plug the mains addaptor into a stangard 240v 13A
GNER/VIRGIN power outlet and enjoy hours of
non-mobile-phone-interrupted-journey.

--
73deG1LVN
http://www.outpimp.com/?x=481566961

Old August 21st 05, 02:08 AM
John Smith

G1LVN:

Such things can be done, but that certainly sounds much less than workable!

The plans there might better function as a "Burnt Wiring Smell Generator!"
I have built a few of 'em, most likely there are still a few left waiting
to be built in my future...

John

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:36:03 +0000, G1LVN (for it is he) wrote:

Nokia 3310

Old August 21st 05, 11:34 AM
Highland Ham

You obviously not seen the design to make a Nokia 3310 into a Cellphone
jammer. - Simple sweep osillator curcuit built on veroboard into the
battery compartment ? Just plug the mains addaptor into a stangard 240v
13A GNER/VIRGIN power outlet and enjoy hours of
non-mobile-phone-interrupted-journey.

=======
For US based readers of this NG : GNER= Great North East Railways . VIRGIN
= Virgin Trains (from the same stock as Virgin Atlantic)
The trains running from London - Edinburgh -Aberdeen vv apparently have
240V-AC sockets for hooking up laptops and other electrical devices.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old August 21st 05, 01:15 PM
Alex Gibson

"Polymath" wrote in message
ups.com...
I wonder if anyone has successfully converted a
thrown-away cell-phone into a spectrum analyser?

We would seem to have all the necessary components
in there for free - keyboard, graphical display,
post-demodulation DSP, Frequency Synthesizer,
RF good up to 1 GHz (2G5Hz if an ex-WCDMA unit)

Here would seem to be an opportunity to equip
all Radio Hams with a reasonably state-of-the-art
piece of test gear, that when coupled with an
IF generator would give us all a network analyser
into the bargain!

A few people are looking at turning one of the xilinx S3 (spartan3)
starter kits into spectrum analysers and logic analyser with a vga output.
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/des...ey=DO-SPAR3-DK

http://www.fpga4fun.com/digitalscope.html
http://www.fpga4fun.com/board_flashy.html

Problem with a lot of the phone stuff is getting access to the chips pins
for programming
(if they had them in the first place).
Chips are factory programmed and not reprogrammable.

Old August 21st 05, 07:08 PM
dlharmon

Alex Gibson wrote:

A few people are looking at turning one of the xilinx S3 (spartan3)
starter kits into spectrum analysers and logic analyser with a vga output.
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/des...ey=DO-SPAR3-DK

http://www.fpga4fun.com/digitalscope.html
http://www.fpga4fun.com/board_flashy.html

Problem with a lot of the phone stuff is getting access to the chips pins
for programming
(if they had them in the first place).
Chips are factory programmed and not reprogrammable.

I really like the idea of an FPGA based spectrum analyzer. I have been
planning to put one together for a while and have started on
schematics. Rather than doing VGA output I am using USB to a PC. I
have the FPGA/DSP board up and running.

It will probably be some form of a dual conversion design with the
input signal being upconverted to an IF around 2GHz and then fed to a
quadrature demodulator.

One other really nice thing that can be done with a FPGA easily is a
Arbitrary waveform generator using block rams as a lookup table.

http://dlharmon.com/dspcard/adcdac.html

Darrell Harmon