Old September 14th 05, 01:09 AM
Tim Shoppa

Default Big old-fashioned IF transformers for tube-type homebrewing?

Are the big old-fashioned IF transformers-in-a-can available
anywhere anymore? I want to make a receiver, probably double
conversion,
which would mean that I'd want several each of the 50kHz and some
higher frequency (455kHz likely).

Are these things that can be made from scratch without a lot of
difficutly? I can wind coils etc. but don't
have any transformer slug-tuned cores.

Tim KA0BTD

Old September 14th 05, 06:05 AM
Scott Dorsey

Tim Shoppa wrote:
Are the big old-fashioned IF transformers-in-a-can available
anywhere anymore? I want to make a receiver, probably double
conversion,
which would mean that I'd want several each of the 50kHz and some
higher frequency (455kHz likely).

Try a hamfest, or Antique Electronics Supply.

Are these things that can be made from scratch without a lot of
difficutly? I can wind coils etc. but don't
have any transformer slug-tuned cores.

They are a bloody pain. You should try it. If it was easy, it
wouldn't be fun.
--scott
Old September 14th 05, 08:09 PM
Uncle Peter

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Tim Shoppa wrote:
Are the big old-fashioned IF transformers-in-a-can available
anywhere anymore? I want to make a receiver, probably double
conversion,
which would mean that I'd want several each of the 50kHz and some
higher frequency (455kHz likely).

Try a hamfest, or Antique Electronics Supply.

Are these things that can be made from scratch without a lot of
difficutly? I can wind coils etc. but don't
have any transformer slug-tuned cores.

They are a bloody pain. You should try it. If it was easy, it
wouldn't be fun.
--scott

Getting the bandpass right could be a pain; I'd guess the
sweet spot is near critical coupling, where you'd get a
double-humped response curve. Otherwise, undercoupling
would give you a sharper peak, good for CW, or you'd have
to sweep align the strip for the desired BW.

Pete