Old October 25th 16, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Curtis 8044 keyer chip

Michael Black wrote:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

On 10/24/2016 9:32 PM, wrote:
I just pulled out an old keyed with that chip on it, I'm trying to fix
it but if i can't give me a shout and an offer in a month or two ???

the markings on the chip are exactly below:

CURTIS
8044AMB
9140

Ah, old memories. A quick google search brought up:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/radio/8044print.pdf

Should give you some information on the chip. No idea of where you
could get one, though.

I think it's another opportunist, via google groups.

It sounds like he's finally going to try to get the keyer going, and if
he can't, he's offering to sell the IC to the previous poster, who I
guess was looking for one.

Since there isn't much more involved than the IC, I'm not sure how one
determines that the rest of the circuitry is at fault (but can't be fixed)
but the IC isn't.

But since he didn't quote the message he was replying to, and the original
message must be quite old, who really knows?

Michael

When it is really the IC that is defective, and can no longer be obtained,
it is probably easiest to use the housing and paddle to build a new keyer
based on the Arduino Nano (K3NG keyer).
Old October 26th 16, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Rob writes:

[...]
When it is really the IC that is defective, and can no longer be obtained,
[...]

Hasn't "Most Famous Junk" bought out Curtis some years ago? Probably
wouldn't hurt to ask them.

73, Eddi ._._.

Yes, that is what is written on internet. I presumed that asking
over here means that MFJ no longer has them in stock either.

Well, that Arduino keyer can do a lot more anyway. A friend nearby
has built one and he can even connect a PC keyboard instead of the paddle,
and it has memories etc.
Old October 27th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 10/24/2016 9:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

No, you're missing the point. Ten years ago, someone wanted to know where
to get the IC. And there were suggestions, including buying from MFJ.

The original poster likely is no longer interested, either giving up on
the project or having found what he wanted.

The guy who resurrected the thread is looking for a customer, he wants to
sell his IC. SO he doesn't care about replacements, he's hoping someone
will buy from him.

Michael