Old November 1st 05, 01:12 AM
James Skalski

Default Defibrillator caps for ham use?

Has anyone use a oil filled cap from a debrillator for a high voltage
amplifier? What are the differences in this cap?

Jim n2go
Old November 2nd 05, 09:00 AM
Ian White G/GM3SEK

James Skalski wrote:
Has anyone use a oil filled cap from a debrillator for a high voltage
amplifier? What are the differences in this cap?

Jim n2go

Defibrillator caps are only rated for energy storage, and are not
designed or rated to handle AC ripple current. Voltage ratings of defib
or photoflash capacitors are likely to be given as "...kVP" and there
will be no ripple current marking.

AG6K gives further information on his website:
http://www.somis.org/D-amplifiers3.html

Follow Rich's recommendation: test the capacitor first with low-voltage
alternating current, and if it doesn't get warm, operate it
substantially below the maximum voltage rating. However, my own
experience has been that such "kVP-rated" capacitors may work fine for a
few years and then suddenly fail short-circuit. I've lost two that way,
and wouldn't use them any more.

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old November 3rd 05, 07:34 PM

I can just see it now....

eeeeEEEEE!!! CLEAR!!!! BAM!!! dah di dah di
eeeeEEEEE!!! CLEAR!!!! BAM!!!! dah dah di dah

The Eternal Squire