Old November 17th 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ron Price

Default Bridge Rectifier Info

Hello All,
Can anyone help with the voltage and current rating of an old bridge
rectifier - Westinghouse FC442?
It's not listed in any of my data books.

Many thanks,
Ron.
GW4EVX.

Old November 19th 05, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Fred McKenzie

In article , "Ron Price"
wrote:

Can anyone help with the voltage and current rating of an old bridge
rectifier - Westinghouse FC442?
It's not listed in any of my data books.

Ron-

Does the equipment it came out of happen to have "FC" in it name? It
could be a proprietary part made for that company. As such, Westinghouse
would probably never reveal the specs to anyone else.

Could there be any other markings on the device? The FC442 might also be
a form of date-code, such as 42nd week of 2004 or 1994, 1984, 1974, et
cetera.

You may be able to determine a reverse breakdown voltage with a variable
high-voltage power supply and a current-limiting resistor, but you may
have to analyze the circuit it came out of for a minimum current rating.

Does the equipment happen to have service information available from some
place like Howard W. Sams? If so, they often have cross-reference
information for parts.

73, Fred, K4DII
Old November 20th 05, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Fred McKenzie

In article , "Ron Price"
wrote:

The equipment is an old Lab-Craft UHF Signal Strength Meter probably from
the 60's or 70's.
I have partly dismantled it and plan on using the chassis and psu to build a
one or two valve QRP CW TX for 80-m so I wanted a rough idea of what sort of
current I could pull from the rectifier. The previous valve line-up was
PC86, PC88, EF184(x2),6AL5,OA2.
I have an old data book and this lista a few rectifiers starting with FC but
not the one I want!

Ron-

If you plan to use the existing power supply, then the rectifier is most
likely capable of handling as much current as the the transformer can
deliver. If you don't want to trust it, one ampere silicon rectifier
diodes are relatively inexpensive. Choose a set with reverse voltage
greater than three times the transformer's RMS voltage (2.83 plus safety
factor).

I believe the OA2 is a 150 Volt gas voltage regulator tube. That would
provide stability for the plate supply of your oscillator stage, or at
least its screen voltage supply.

The 6AL5 may be a dual-diode used as a meter rectifier. I'm not familiar
with the others, but you should be able to obtain their rated filament
currents to size the transformer's filament winding.

73, Fred, K4DII
Old November 22nd 05, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
John A

Could it be an FC142? This is a Westinghouse bridge rated at 250v, 40mA?

Old November 22nd 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ron Price

I thought that also John but it is very clearly marked as FC442!
Thanks,
Ron GW4EVX