Old December 5th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Roy Lewallen

Default Ground resistance tester

Please ignore my earlier posting. I saw NEC and thought the reference
was to the program of that name (Numerical Electromagnetics Code). The
other responses caused me to re-read your posting more carefully and I
see you're referring instead to the National Electrical Code. 60 Hz
measurement is of course what you want to do, and my response was
entirely inappropriate in that context.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old December 6th 05, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ivan Makarov

Here is a couple of links, just the first two Google hits

http://www.extech.com/instrument/pro...ialMeters.html

http://www.stayonline.com/detail~ID~2048.html

"nothermark" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:11:23 -0500, "Ivan Makarov"
wrote:

Apparently Joe is talking about contact resistance between a grounding

rod
and the soil. Is that correct, Joe? I also saw those ground rod clamp
testers in the Inet, and is still puzzled how they claim accuracy down to
0.01 Ohm.

Thks,
Ivan

Accuracy as in reading + or - 0.01 vs reading of 0.01 ohms absolute -
very big difference in technology involved. ;-) You have to define
what they are doing.

Old December 7th 05, 08:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Lynn Coffelt

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Please ignore my earlier posting. I saw NEC and thought the reference
was to the program of that name (Numerical Electromagnetics Code). The
other responses caused me to re-read your posting more carefully and I
see you're referring instead to the National Electrical Code. 60 Hz
measurement is of course what you want to do, and my response was
entirely inappropriate in that context.

Whew, thanks, Roy, I thought you'd finally "lost" it! (hi hi and grin)
I wish I had something more solid to contribute, but I do remember my
USAF days when the aircraft parking ramp static grounding rings required a
scheduled resistance inspection, the date stenciled in black on yellow
circle. The resistance had to be below 10,000 ohms. The instrument the civil
engineers used to make the measurements was hand cranked, something like the
"Megger" used for insulation break-down testing. I cannot say whether it was
a regular "megger" or a specialized instrument.
Anyhow, we mechanics tried to do our own testing with an ordinary VOM
and found the task quite vexing. One problem was that stray currents in the
ground drove the ohmmeter crazy, and as if that wasn't enough, the ohmmeter
probes current caused an electrolytic (?) reaction, sort of like trying to
measure the resistance of a battery using a standard VOM.
Now I'm going to back up and read some of the references provided by
previous responders.
Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ (I still like Furuno, Roy!)

Old December 7th 05, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Asimov

"Lynn Coffelt" bravely wrote to "All" (07 Dec 05 00:24:56)
--- on the heady topic of " Ground resistance tester"

LC From: "Lynn Coffelt"
LC Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.homebrew:89630
[,,,]
LC The
LC instrument the civil engineers used to make the measurements was hand
LC cranked, something like the "Megger" used for insulation break-down
LC testing. I cannot say whether it was a regular "megger" or a
LC specialized instrument. Anyhow, we mechanics tried to do our own
LC testing with an ordinary VOM and found the task quite vexing. One
LC problem was that stray currents in the ground drove the ohmmeter crazy,
LC and as if that wasn't enough, the ohmmeter probes current caused an
LC electrolytic (?) reaction, sort of like trying to measure the
LC resistance of a battery using a standard VOM. Now I'm going to
LC back up and read some of the references provided by previous
LC responders. Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ (I still like Furuno, Roy!)

Speaking of electrolytic reactions....
I would try a tool from the tv service industry called an ESR meter.
It measures the internal resistance of electrolytic capacitors by
using an ac signal of moderate frequency around 100K Hz. They can
typically measure from 0.09 ohms to 199 ohms.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Useless Invention: Flashbulb tester.

Grounding Question Gerry Moersdorf Antenna 11 October 26th 04 05:06 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Grounding Rod Alan J Giddings Shortwave 21 January 21st 04 10:10 PM