Old December 23rd 05, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
christine

Default HV transformer

hi!
I just brought home my new HV transformer, which was
made to my specifications.:

primary 230V 22A
secondary
two windings, each:
800-1000-1100-1200-1300-1400V at 2A

in this way I can connect the windings in parallell or
serie for a multipurpose HV power unit from
about 110V - 4000V at 2A depending on what
tubes I'll use in the amplifier.
the transformers weight is about 36kg...(80 pounds)

I am right now building a middlepower using
one GU84 with tunable vacuumcapacitors and rollercoil..
it's easy to add another one for more power and I don't
have to build a new HV power unit :-)

at the moment I use this new transformer in my old, small and heavily
modified GLA-1000 with 4xPL519 (transformer outside the case on the floor,
of course!)
as the original transformer is not giving enough power for those tubes.
not much left of the original GLA-1000, added 160m etc etc

I power the tubes heating with stabilized 40V from a separate transformer
as the tubes, which are made for serial heating, are that much different,
they get voltages from 39-41V in serial and I wanted tto have 40V for
each tube :-)

cheers,

cb

Old December 23rd 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Bill Turner

Old December 23rd 05, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
christine

hi!

thanks for the remark!
the two windings are actually wound separately on an
"O" core and specified to be used both in serial and paralell connection.'

cheers,

cb

"Bill Turner"

Old December 24th 05, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ken Scharf

christine wrote:
[...]

WoW some transformer! That one will do a full gallon and then some
without breaking a sweat! I hate to ask what it cost! Sounds
like a universal replacement for any tube linear.
Old December 26th 05, 11:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
christine

lol!

actually it wasn't very expensive. it's custom made by
a transformer manufacturer and the price was some
340.-E which will add up to a little more in US-dollars

i thought first on making it with a ferrite core to save some
space and weight, but they said there is an insulation problem
with high voltages and the cost would be much higher...

cheers,

cb

"Ken Scharf"

christine wrote:
primary 230V 22A
secondary
two windings, each:
800-1000-1100-1200-1300-1400V at 2A
weight 80 pounds (36kg)

WoW some transformer! That one will do a full gallon and then some
without breaking a sweat! I hate to ask what it cost! Sounds
like a universal replacement for any tube linear.

"Ununs" = 'UN' to 'UN' { Unbalanced-to-Unbalanced Matching Transformer } Telamon Shortwave 0 September 8th 05 04:52 AM
Hallicrafter S-40B Power Transformer Question Steven P. Burrows Boatanchors 4 April 21st 05 08:02 PM
Building a Matching Transformer for Shortwave Listener's Antenna using a Binocular Ferrite Core from a TV type Matching Transformer RHF Shortwave 13 November 3rd 04 08:34 PM
Chicago transformer Jimmy Boatanchors 4 February 22nd 04 07:03 PM
WANTED: Power Transformer for Radio Jerry W. O'Dell Swap 0 August 2nd 03 11:53 AM