Old January 2nd 06, 09:43 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Too_Many_Tools

Default Reliable Inexpensive Electronic Weather Instruments

I am looking for any suggestions as to reliable inexpensive electronic
weather instruments.

With several units that I have tested from places like Target, Walmart,
Radio Shack I find that they are not repeatable, readings drift and
will die when the weather gets cold.

Has anyone found a source or brand that they have had good success
with?

Any leads or links to building your own instrumentation?

Thanks

TMT

Old January 2nd 06, 10:07 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
maxfoo

On 2 Jan 2006 13:43:38 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

I am looking for any suggestions as to reliable inexpensive electronic
weather instruments.

With several units that I have tested from places like Target, Walmart,
Radio Shack I find that they are not repeatable, readings drift and
will die when the weather gets cold.

Has anyone found a source or brand that they have had good success
with?

Any leads or links to building your own instrumentation?

Thanks

TMT

Circuit cellar had an article on that a year or two ago.
someone's design contest abstract
http://www.circuitcellar.com/design2...eatherMon.html
Old January 2nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
maxfoo

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:07:48 -0500, maxfoo wrote:

On 2 Jan 2006 13:43:38 -0800, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

I am looking for any suggestions as to reliable inexpensive electronic
weather instruments.

With several units that I have tested from places like Target, Walmart,
Radio Shack I find that they are not repeatable, readings drift and
will die when the weather gets cold.

Has anyone found a source or brand that they have had good success
with?

Any leads or links to building your own instrumentation?

Thanks

TMT

Circuit cellar had an article on that a year or two ago.
someone's design contest abstract
http://www.circuitcellar.com/design2...eatherMon.html

here's another...
http://www.circuitcellar.com/msp430/3b.htm

search circuit cellars website you'll come up with a ton of designs.

Old January 3rd 06, 12:01 AM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
artie

In article .com,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I am looking for any suggestions as to reliable inexpensive electronic
weather instruments.

With several units that I have tested from places like Target, Walmart,
Radio Shack I find that they are not repeatable, readings drift and
will die when the weather gets cold.

Has anyone found a source or brand that they have had good success
with?

Any leads or links to building your own instrumentation?

Thanks

TMT

"reliable" and "inexpensive" are at best orthogonal, if not downright
contradictory...

I just want the stuff to work. Had a heathkit weather station for a
number of years, but when I worked 2m packet, it thought I was on
jupiter -- temperatures zoomed down and barometric pressure went
really, really high (and that was *after* I put RF bypassing on a lot
of high Z nodes, and shielded the thing).

I've had no trouble with the Davis Instruments stuff. Currently run
Vantage Pro2 stations at a number of locations, using the Weather
Display software.

It's not cheap, but it works.

--
Namaste--
Old January 3rd 06, 06:05 AM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
gb

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for any suggestions as to reliable inexpensive electronic
weather instruments.

With several units that I have tested from places like Target, Walmart,
Radio Shack I find that they are not repeatable, readings drift and
will die when the weather gets cold.

Has anyone found a source or brand that they have had good success
with?

Any leads or links to building your own instrumentation?

Thanks

TMT

The Dallas 1-wire system has been popular.
North American mfg is in Mexico and
I saw that a European mfg started to build the same design.

gb

Old January 4th 06, 01:27 AM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the leads so far....

Has anyone actually built any of this designs and hooked it to a
laptop?

If so, I would love to hear about it...links and pictures would be
great.

If you look, you will find very few sites talking about actual efforts.

TMT

Old January 5th 06, 05:56 AM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
quietguy

You might like to have a look at the Silicaon Chip website - they
published a weather station not so long ago - I read the articale at the
library so don't have a copy, but a search of their site should find it -
the windspeed/direction part looks very neat and should be reliable and
cheap

David

Old January 6th 06, 03:48 AM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for the lead, here's the link.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_103238/article.html

Old January 6th 06, 01:22 PM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
gb

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for any suggestions as to reliable inexpensive electronic
weather instruments.

With several units that I have tested from places like Target, Walmart,
Radio Shack I find that they are not repeatable, readings drift and
will die when the weather gets cold.

Has anyone found a source or brand that they have had good success
with?

Any leads or links to building your own instrumentation?

Thanks

TMT

Texas Weather Instruments developed the 1-WireT Weather Station, using
technology licensed from Dallas Semiconductor (see Sensors magazine June
1998), to solve the problems of attaching multiple cables, power supplies
and consoles associated with weather instruments to a Windows PC.
http://www.txwx.com/1wire_bro1.htm

AAG Electronica (Mexico) makes the kit of parts ($75), the TWI is only an
assembled unit.
http://www.aagelectronica.com/aag/in...tml&lang=en-us

gb

Old January 12th 06, 04:50 AM posted to sci.geo.meteorology,sci.electronics.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Too_Many_Tools

Has anyone had any experience with this weather station?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...n&tab=features