Old January 31st 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default stripline@ 75 Ohm

Hi OM's

I want to build an distribution amplifier for video using a MAX 4137.
Maxim advises to use stripline for the in- and output.
Can someone tell me what dimensions I should use for the stripline?
(@ 75 Ohm, 350 MHz max, standard fibreglass pcb)

Thanks in advance.

73, Wim Smeets
PE1PME
Old February 1st 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Joel Kolstad

wrote in message
ll.nl...
I want to build an distribution amplifier for video using a MAX 4137.
Maxim advises to use stripline for the in- and output.
Can someone tell me what dimensions I should use for the stripline?
(@ 75 Ohm, 350 MHz max, standard fibreglass pcb)

Only if you tell us your board stackup dimensions.

Various freeware programs such as TxLine
(http://www.taconic-add.com/en--downloads.php) can compute these dimensions
for you quite easily.

Thanks in advance.

73, Wim Smeets
PE1PME

Old February 1st 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Saandy , 4Z5KS

1.2mm on G10 , 1,6mm thick glass epoxi board will give you a Z0 of 75
ohms from DC to daylight.
Saandy 4Z5KS

Old February 1st 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Thanks a lot Saandy

Wim pe1pme
Old February 2nd 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Saandy , 4Z5KS

i can send you a small gem of a program, very fit for amateur use. if
your interested, write me at the email directly.
Saandy 4Z5KS

Old February 2nd 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Harold E. Johnson

"Saandy , 4Z5KS" wrote in message
ups.com...
i can send you a small gem of a program, very fit for amateur use. if
your interested, write me at the email directly.
Saandy 4Z5KS

Or download "AppCad" free from Hewlett Packard. It does both microstrip and
stripline and as they say on Madison Avenue, "So much more".

W4ZCB

Old February 2nd 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
K7ITM

It's a long and twisty path...

When Hewlett-Packard split off the test and measurement, life sciences,
medical and semiconductor businesses in 2000 as Agilent Technologies,
AppCAD went to Agilent. But last year, Agilent split off the
Semiconductor Products Group, which is now a new company, Avago
Technologies. Because AppCAD supports design of circuits using the
semiconductors, it went to the new company. If you go to
http://www.avagotech.com/ and search for appcad, you will pretty much
immediately find a link to the Avago-supported version. (You can also
get there by searching for appcad on the Agilent home page, but it will
redirect you to Avago.)

Cheers,
Tom

Cheers,
Tom

Old February 1st 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
RST Engineering

Not so, Saandy. He said STRIPLINE, not microstrip. Now he may not know the
difference, but that is an incorrect value for stripline.

WHich is it, microstrip (open face) or stripline (sandwich)?

Jim

Old February 1st 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

what's the difference?
Is "open face"on a singlesided pcb and "sandwich" on a doublesided pcb?
I use a doublesided pcb with one side as a groundplane.

tnx, Wim
Old February 2nd 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
RST Engineering

No. Microstrip is the transmission line on one side of a double-sided PCB
and the ground plane on the other side. Stripline is with TWO PCBs with the
transmission line sandwiched on one of the boards and ground planes on BOTH
the outside layers. It makes for a much improved shielding at the expense
of much more complex mechanical assembly.

Jim

ll.nl...