Old February 15th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Skipp

Default Want: 73 & Ham Radio Magazines

Hello there,

I'm looking for you old tired stack of 73 and Ham Radio Magazines just to
read at my pleasure. I'll be scanning some of the better articles into pdf
files and making them available to others for free. Many of you have
already seen the www.radiowrench.com/sonic web page.

If you'd like to donate or sell cheap your old mags, I'd like to have
them. Where practical, I'll pay the shipping/postage and a bit for your
time.

Please take the NOSPAMPLEASE from my email address below and drop me a
line if you'd like to part with some old magazines...

73's
skipp

skipp025 at yahoo.com

Old February 15th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Roy Lewallen

Skipp wrote:
Hello there,

I'm looking for you old tired stack of 73 and Ham Radio Magazines just to
read at my pleasure. I'll be scanning some of the better articles into pdf
files and making them available to others for free. Many of you have
already seen the www.radiowrench.com/sonic web page.
. . .

Have you obtained permission from the copyright owners to do this?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

skipp025 at yahoo.com

I have an old 1950 Radio Experiment magazine with all sorts of tube
projects. It's yellowed and falling apart. I'm trying to scan it
and wanted to post the scans someplace. I started posting on the
alt.binaries.photo.radio and rec.antique.radio+phono newsgroups
and got lots of good ideas on how to adjust my scanner and what
format to save it in. When I have the time to scan all 160 pages
I'd like to make this available (I don't have the web space and
the binaries news groups only have a life time of a few days).

I have lots of old (1966-1973) pop'tronics magazines and some
1970-1980 CQ and assorted 73's someplace. I know I have
the very first 2 73 magazines hidden someplace. Also late 60's
electronics illustrated magazines. Eventually, I'd like to scan
all of them and make them available.
Old February 16th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ken Scharf

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Skipp wrote:

Hello there,
I'm looking for you old tired stack of 73 and Ham Radio Magazines just
to read at my pleasure. I'll be scanning some of the better articles
into pdf files and making them available to others for free. Many of
you have already seen the www.radiowrench.com/sonic web page. . . .

Have you obtained permission from the copyright owners to do this?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I think the ARRL now has the rights to Ham Radio and you can buy
CD's from them. I don't know who has the rights to 73, but I suspect
Wayne never gave that up. Pop'tronics was part of Gensback up to a few
years ago (maybe he only got the right to the NAME and not the original
magazine contents.) Of the other electronics magazines which are
long out of bussiness .... who knows?
Old February 16th 06, 10:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
David Harmon

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:46:08 -0500 in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,
Ken Scharf wrote,
I have an old 1950 Radio Experiment magazine with all sorts of tube
projects. It's yellowed and falling apart. I'm trying to scan it
and wanted to post the scans someplace. I started posting on the
alt.binaries.photo.radio and rec.antique.radio+phono newsgroups
and got lots of good ideas on how to adjust my scanner and what

May I suggest also alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Old February 16th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Skipp

Yes, where possible and practical I have. I always try to ask the
original authors direct for permission to repost articles and text
and we never sell anything. See you at Dayton Roy...

cheers,
skipp

: Roy Lewallen wrote:
: Skipp wrote:
: Hello there,
:
: I'm looking for you old tired stack of 73 and Ham Radio Magazines just to
: read at my pleasure. I'll be scanning some of the better articles into pdf
: files and making them available to others for free. Many of you have
: already seen the www.radiowrench.com/sonic web page.
: . . .

skipp025 at yahoo.com

I have an old 1950 Radio Experiment magazine with all sorts of tube
projects. It's yellowed and falling apart. I'm trying to scan it
and wanted to post the scans someplace. I started posting on the
alt.binaries.photo.radio and rec.antique.radio+phono newsgroups
and got lots of good ideas on how to adjust my scanner and what
format to save it in. When I have the time to scan all 160 pages
I'd like to make this available (I don't have the web space and
the binaries news groups only have a life time of a few days).

I have lots of old (1966-1973) pop'tronics magazines and some
1970-1980 CQ and assorted 73's someplace. I know I have
the very first 2 73 magazines hidden someplace. Also late 60's
electronics illustrated magazines. Eventually, I'd like to scan
all of them and make them available.

Somewhere around I have several old Pop'tronics mags from the 50's --
including the very first from Oct. 1954.

Dr. G.
Old February 17th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

From: Ken Scharf on Wed, Feb 15 2006 9:49 pm

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Skipp wrote:

Hello there,
I'm looking for you old tired stack of 73 and Ham Radio Magazines just
to read at my pleasure. I'll be scanning some of the better articles
into pdf files and making them available to others for free. Many of
you have already seen the www.radiowrench.com/sonic web page. . . .

Have you obtained permission from the copyright owners to do this?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I think the ARRL now has the rights to Ham Radio and you can buy
CD's from them.

Not quite. Communications Technology, Inc. (parent to Ham Radio
Magazine) was sold to CQ in 1990. CQ scanned and produced the
3-volume set of CDs containing all 22 years of HR's articles.
ARRL resells a lot of products. That doesn't mean they "own"
the copyright. ARRL resells a lot of RSGB publications but
doesn't own the copyrights of the Radio Society of Great Britain.

I don't know who has the rights to 73, but I suspect
Wayne never gave that up. Pop'tronics was part of Gensback up to a few
years ago (maybe he only got the right to the NAME and not the original
magazine contents.) Of the other electronics magazines which are
long out of bussiness .... who knows?

Copyrights are valid from the first publication until 50 years
after the death of the copyright holder. [death of a corporation
presumably is the same as total quitting of it] "Publication" is
almost any form of media that is visible to the "public," and
that includes anything written on the Internet as an example.

One doesn't have to "file papers" to establish a copyright
although that is most convenient if some civil court dispute
comes to trial. Copyright suits are almost always held in
a civil court, not a criminal court; the federal government
can bring suit in a federal court for flagrant violations of
the copyright law.

The "copyright law" is in Title 17, United States Code. One of
the big revisions of United States copyright law was Public Law
94-553, 17 October 1976. In the USA, Congress maintains the
Copyright Office. Congress has a rather large website which
includes much information on copyrights (you can search under
"copyright law" to get the URL...nice FAQ on copyrights there).

Depending on the terms of a "work" sold to a publisher, the
publisher usually has first rights (as in copyrights) to that
work. The author may, depending on the contract (the monetary
compensation) may have the right to publish/distribute that
work AFTER the first-rights holder has published it. In my
case, I can repro and distribute any article that I authored
in HR as I wish...the conditions of my compensation contract.
I cannot do the same with any article I edited for them; such
is not considered "original work."

In short, you just can't willy-nilly repro any work from a
private/civilian-business publisher without their permission.
You CAN repro any work done by the United States government;
the US government is forbidden by law to hold copyrights.
Note: The US government CAN hold a patent, but patents are
a different category and handled by a different agency.

A grey area is the "fair use" part of the copyright law. A
"fair use" item is PART of the original work which can be used
by itself as a reference or partial reproduction in a news
article or textbook. Almost all textbooks contain such items
and it is politely customary to refer to the original if that
is done.

former Associate Editor at Ham Radio and sometime contributor

Old February 17th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Roy Lewallen

- exray - wrote:

Every instance I've had at contacting original writers has said yes and
publishers have simply not responded, or responded with unintelligible
legalise CYA BS.
As has been explained to me that published articles become the domain of
the publisher and the original writer has no legal say. Who knows what
their 'contributing writer' contract says.
Given the small niche of reproduction as compared to 'the law'...just do
the drill and if someone says stop, then stop. Keep about $3 in a legal
escrow for the one asshole guy who would make a case out of it.

I suggest keeping more like $20,000. The last time I checked with my
lawyer, that was the maximum penalty for willful copyright infringement,
in addition to any monetary damages which could be proved. All that's
necessary to get the $20k, I was told, is to prove that the infringement
was willful, not that any financial damage occurred. But that was quite
a number of years ago, and in any case this shouldn't be taken as legal
advice or fact. Anyone contemplating willful infringement would be well
advised to check with his own lawyer. Tangling with that "one asshole
guy" could be an experience to remember.

People seem to have less and less compunction against stealing
intellectual property, I suppose because it keeps getting easier to do.
Rationalizations are as diverse and original as fertile minds can
create. The ultimate result will be that eventually, nobody will bother
creating anything original.

Incidentally, I was told by the ARRL that authors of articles in all
their publications are given blanket permission to put a copy of
articles they've written on their own web site, with appropriate
acknowledgment that the ARRL owns the copyright and reproduction is by
permission. That's generous of them.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL