Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 21st 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Joel Kolstad

Default Favorite low power receiver ICs?

Anyone have a favorite low power (as in tens of milliwatts) receiver IC that
you can still get ahold of? I'm looking to see what could potentially replace
some Philips UAA2080's, which are no longer available new from Philips. They
were a really great part, giving you an oscillator, frequency mulitplier, RF
pre-amp, I/Q mixers and a bit of demodulation (they were intended for use in
pagers but gave you the raw I/Q output so could be pushed into service for
other applications too) -- all of this for less than 10mW!

Looking around at parts, it seems that even plain old mixers now often run
50mW or more. Ostensibly this seems due to their usage at higher frequencies
(low GHz range), which I can understand, but it's a feature don't require.
I'm after low power parts for dealing with more pedestrian frequencies (low to
mid-hundreds of MHz) and small bandwidths (single digit kHz).

Thanks,
---Joel KOlstad