Old May 5th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Doug Goncz

Default FME "paper clip" antenna

Hello, my new group.

Let me know if I am on topic for this group, please. It seems like rrah
has had some cellular posts. There didn't seem to be a NG for cell
hacks. Homebrew is the thing.

My Cingular / Seimens SX66 ( HTC Blue Angel ) has an FME RF port on the
back. I couldn't find an accesory antenna without a cable at Wilson,
or anywhere else. I usually lay it down on its face to protect the
touch screen while I am using it with the headphones. When it's in the
sun, this keeps the screen from overheating.

It seems natural to insert the _right length_ of suitable gage piano
wire into the FME port but somebody could get an RF burn that way. I
got one off my Motorola Star TAC long ago. God, what a clunker.

I guess whatever surface the 'phone was lying on would be a ground
plane. I wonder if a metal surface would produce better results than a
wood surface. I think it would.

What length and gage of piano wire would work? That is, the gage would
be a pin to fit the FME center conductor socket and the length would be
determined by an equation involving the speed of light and a factor
applicable to the particular antenna design.

First off, is this a port for the cell antenna or for the WiFi?

What's the shortest wire I can use? A quarter wave in the 1800-1980
MHz band would be shortest, wouldn't it?

Could I just dip the wire in some grip compound, the kind you would dip
plier handles in?

Would it help to heat-shrink this thin wire?

Would heat shrink and grip dip be enough protection for a reasonable
level of safety?

Looking forward to more bars and bits per second more often. (I use it
as a wireless modem, too) Might be some fun.

The smallest antenna I found was a Wilson mini that magnet mounts to
the roof of a car. Not so good since I don't drive, and travel very
light on my bicycle and by bus.

I can see a bus driver coming back to my seat and saying "Would you
please take your antenna off the side of my bus? Somebody's gonna get
their eye poked out!"

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Old May 5th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
You

In article .com,
"Doug Goncz" wrote:

Hello, my new group.

Let me know if I am on topic for this group, please. It seems like rrah
has had some cellular posts. There didn't seem to be a NG for cell
hacks. Homebrew is the thing.

My Cingular / Seimens SX66 ( HTC Blue Angel ) has an FME RF port on the
back. I couldn't find an accesory antenna without a cable at Wilson,
or anywhere else. I usually lay it down on its face to protect the
touch screen while I am using it with the headphones. When it's in the
sun, this keeps the screen from overheating.

snipped for brevity

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research
Falls Church, VA 22044-0394

Why not just go BUY an FME adapter connector to fit whatever antenna
your trying to use. You don't have to reinvent the world just to
get an adapter.......
Old May 6th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Doug Goncz

You wrote:

snipped for brevity

They don't make the antenna I am trying to use.

Yes, I can install my bit of wire into an FME male connector, but why
not just use a wire that's the same size as that FME connector's male
pin?

Here's another idea. Why not make up a metal _stylus_ that fits the FME
female connector on my SX66? Then, I'd always have my extra antenna
handy. Hm. My stylus is 4 inches long.

3*10^8 m/sec / (1900 MHz) = about 6 inches.

Doug

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Got that Car/Truck AM/FM Radio in the Home : Now You Need an AM/MW Antenna or Two ! David Shortwave 0 May 4th 06 02:08 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM