Old June 10th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
g. beat

Default Weller Tech Sheets

I have been slowly scanning my collection of Weller Tech Sheets and posting
these on BAMA.

Some of these instruction, parts and repair sheets go back to Weller
Electric in the mid 1960s --
and are no longer available from CooperTools / Weller.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/weller/

w9gb

Old June 10th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
g. beat

One of the most frequent questions I receive is concerning the deterioration
of the white silicon or vinyl cords on the older Weller TCP series soldering
irons.

Weller does sell part number TC217, which is a black replacement cord with 3
pin plug already installed.
This is a good solution for the irons that have the Lightweight Nylon handle
with black heater insulator/plug-in (after 1977) and mate to the WTCPN and
later stations.

However, this is an expensive solution for the earlier TCP irons that had a
phenolic handle/finger heat shield, such as the WTCPK (military set with
4-pin Jones plug) or W-TCP and WTCPL stations.

For these units, you have to cut off the 3-pin plug (expensive part of the
assembly) from the replacement cord to wire the Jones plug or directly wire
to the TCP base unit.

The phenolic handle irons used a metal ground strap that also serves as the
cord's clamp and strain relief.
Removal and replacement of the old cord from this metal ground strap is
difficult (and can be dangerous without proper tools)

Some restorers have used silicon or fiberglass/silicon sleeving or silicon
tubing to build a new cord by removing the old vinyl or broken silicon
insulation.

Another option is to use a replacement silicon cord from Rapid electronics
(UK), order code 85-0590
which sells for 3.88 British pounds - considerably cheaper. This cable is
not appropriate for the lightweight nylon handle, since it is slightly
larger in outside diameter and uses the next high wire gauge 20 AWG ..
instead of the original 22 AWG used by Weller.

Rapid order code 85-0590 Silicone, heat-resistant cable for soldering
irons.

a.. Especially recommended for use with mains powered irons.
b.. Ideal for educational applications.
c.. Survives contact with a heated soldering iron tip.
d.. Convert existing PVC cabled irons to safer silicone cable.
e.. Pre-stripped and tinned.
f.. Overall length 1.5 metres.
g.. Suitable for use with all irons using 3-cored flexible cable.

g. beat

======
. ..

Old June 11th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Do you have any tips on fixing a Weller EC-2002-A? It still regulates
and heats, but the temperature display is dead. When first turned on it
flashes "FFF" for a split second. I think maybe bad filter capacitor or
something. Any thoughts on fixing? This is a nice unit I had just bought
spare iron and tips for it. Tried another iron, and also measured proper
resistance on the thermistor.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old June 11th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
g. beat

CooperTools / Weller produced the "EC" (Electronic Control series for about 25 years (~ 1977 - 2002).
The series was discontinued the fall of 2002.

During that time they had a least 3 different revisions (and many more of control boards)

The original control boards were made on a ceramic substrate (yes it can and does crack). From the documents I have - the temperature board actually just serves as a calibrated reading from the sensor.

You may wish to look at eBay auction Item number: 7626510781 by ra2112. This is board 210 .. may be right board for you (not positive). These are (very rare) NOS repair control boards from a distributor close-out in southwest Chicago
(I have an old 1002 series 1 station running with a board from him).

Last resort is to call Dino Chandler, service manager at Weller - in North Carolina and see if they have any spare parts left to repair.

Greg

Old June 11th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
g. beat

BE VERY CAREFUL ON USING REPLACEMENT IRONS (EC-1201 series) ON THE EARLY "EC" SERIES MODEL BASE UNITS

WELLER CHANGED THE PIN OUTS OF THE 5-pin CONNECTOR FOR THE IRON AND BASES WITH THE EC SERIES !!
THEY ARE DIFFERENT (EC-1201 is different from EC-1201-A and EC1201 P ... etc.) !!!

THIS CAN DAMAGE CONTROL BOARDS OR IRONS !!

Old June 11th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Thanks for the tips. The controller died while using the original iron.
I will make sure the new one is compatible. Thanks again

g. beat @ wrote:

BE VERY CAREFUL ON USING REPLACEMENT IRONS (EC-1201 series) ON THE
EARLY "EC" SERIES MODEL BASE UNITS

WELLER CHANGED THE PIN OUTS OF THE 5-pin CONNECTOR FOR THE IRON AND
BASES WITH THE EC SERIES !!
THEY ARE DIFFERENT (EC-1201 is different from EC-1201-A and EC1201 P
... etc.) !!!

THIS CAN DAMAGE CONTROL BOARDS OR IRONS !!

Greg

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**"
. ..

g. beat @ wrote:

[...]

m...

Old June 14th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Fred McKenzie

In article , "g. beat"
@spam protected wrote:

I have been slowly scanning my collection of Weller Tech Sheets and posting
these on BAMA.

w9gb-

Do you by any chance have a Fluke collection as well?

I'm looking for an instruction sheet for installing the 1300 MHz
prescaler, Option 72XXA-331K, into the Fluke 7260A or 7261A counters. It
is Fluke Stock Number 546087. Fluke no longer had any record of it when I
checked.

BAMA has the 7261A manual, but not this instruction sheet.

Thanks.

Fred, K4DII

Weller Tech Sheets g. beat Boatanchors 1 June 10th 06 10:12 PM
Weller parts closeout Washington DC area gb Homebrew 0 January 2nd 06 08:07 PM
Why are so many defending the proposed automatic upgrade from Tech to General? Jason Hsu Policy 56 April 23rd 04 06:58 AM
Why did the FCC merge the Tech and Tech Plus classes in 2000? Jason Hsu Policy 1 January 27th 04 08:13 PM
Weller TC-201P & later irons G.Beat Homebrew 4 December 22nd 03 02:34 PM