Old June 30th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jody

Default Questions about I.F. Transformers

I can't seem to find any I.F. transformers for 465 KHZ. I was wondering
if you can use the 455 khz ones instead without changing any other
components. I'm building a reciever that calls for 465. Can a 455 be
tuned this high using the slug? or does anyone know of a source for
these parts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old June 30th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
David Snowdon

Jody wrote:
I can't seem to find any I.F. transformers for 465 KHZ. I was wondering
if you can use the 455 khz ones instead without changing any other
components. I'm building a reciever that calls for 465. Can a 455 be
tuned this high using the slug? or does anyone know of a source for
these parts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most of these IF xformers have a fixed capacitor on the bottom of the
device. You can remove it, measure it's value, and place a capacitor of
a slightly lower value in its place.

David, VA3DKS
Old June 30th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 29 Jun 2006 16:40:54 -0700, "Jody" wrote:

I can't seem to find any I.F. transformers for 465 KHZ. I was wondering
if you can use the 455 khz ones instead without changing any other
components. I'm building a reciever that calls for 465. Can a 455 be
tuned this high using the slug? or does anyone know of a source for
these parts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've met very few that would not tune that far. It's easy enough to
test beforehand if ther eis uncertainty.

Allison

Old July 1st 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Andy comments:

I think they will probably go that far, and you might be able to
decrease the external cap 2-3% to help... ALSO, you might be
able to use a brass or aluminum slug to raise the freq.... Tears
heck out of the Q tho, so it's probably a last resort......

Also, you might take out the ferrite slug, grind off a little, and
put it back so you can still tune it without backing it out all the
way....

Andy W4OAH

Old July 1st 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 29 Jun 2006 16:40:54 -0700, "Jody" wrote:

I can't seem to find any I.F. transformers for 465 KHZ. I was wondering
if you can use the 455 khz ones instead without changing any other
components. I'm building a reciever that calls for 465.

What exactly specifies that the 465 kHz must be used ?

Is there a frequency synthesiser or frequency counter with specifies a
fixed 465 kHz offset ? If not, just run the local oscillator at a
frequency 10 kHz lower to produce the 455 kHz IF and calibrate the
scale accordingly.

If this is a dual conversion receiver, change the second mixer
oscillator frequency.

Paul OH3LWR

Old July 5th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jody wrote:
I can't seem to find any I.F. transformers for 465 KHZ. I was wondering
if you can use the 455 khz ones instead without changing any other
components. I'm building a reciever that calls for 465. Can a 455 be
tuned this high using the slug? or does anyone know of a source for
these parts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It'll tune to 465Khz no problem.
But if not, use an aluminium slug instead of the ferrite one. This will
have the opposite effect to the original one. ie - more aluminium
inside the transformer = Higher operating frequency

Stephen Balstone steve balstone