Old July 3rd 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Help with Mosfet mixer

David wrote:
Andy,

Does this all sound reasonable ?

Thanks heaps

Regards

David

Andy writes:

Sounds to me like you are well along the road to being the
world's best receiver designer....

One trick that I used myself when using a scope or spectrum
analyzer to probe volltage to check gain :

I would put about a 0.2 ( yes 2/10 ) of a pf capacitor in series
with my probe, whether highz scope or 50 ohm spect analyzer...
This almost completely "unloads" the circuit when the probe touches
it. There is a great signal loss of course, but since the frequency
is the
same for both input and output measurements, the loss is the same
for each measurement. Relative readings are pretty accurate......
I liked using a spect analyzer cause I could turn the sensitivity
way the hell up, and my measurements would be in db.....

Worked well for me... Maybe others here have some favorite
tricks they can share, too....

Andy W4OAH in Eureka, Texas

( If you mowed your yard and found your missing car, you might
live in Eureka, Texas )