Old April 18th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1601 - April 18, 2008

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1601 - April 18, 2008

CLOSED CIRCUIT FINANCIAL REPORT

The following is a closed circuit announcement. Ladies and gentlemen, a
few words from the Amateur Radio Newsline support fund administrator Andy
Jarema, N6TCQ:

--

Yep, its me. A.J. And if I'm here you likely suspect that once again the
Amateur Radio Newsline is in desperate need of your financial support. And

If you look back, you will notice that the last time you heard me
soliciting donations was way back in 2007. Thanks to your generosity last
year the need for me to make these announcements was minimal.

We know you prefer to hear the news rather than having to listen to these
announcements and we agree. But over the past few months almost all
donations have ceased so here we our with our annual spring pitch.

As we have said so many times before, it takes money to gather the
news. It takes money to assemble a newscast and it takes money to bring it
to you. And as the price of goods and services continue to increase so do
our operating costs. The cost of telephone service. The cost of web
access. The costs related to hosting our website and providing you with
download F-T-P of the newscast. The coat of equipment repair and
upgrade. In essence, all of the costs involved in bringing you 52
newscasts a year as we have done for almost 31 years.

We do our very best to keep operating expenses to a minimum. Everyone
involved in the Amateur Radio Newsline is a volunteer. There is no paid
staff.

More important, all of the monies you donate go only toward operating
expenses and in supporting the Young Ham of the Year Award. And for you,
your donation is tax deductible.

We even make it very easy to donate. If you have web access all you need
to do is take your web browser to www.arnewsline.org. Then click on the
words "Make A donation" and use your Pay-Pal account or credit card to
transfer into ours.

Or you can use the good old method of writing a check and sending it to
Amateur Radio Newsline Support Fund, Post Office Box 660937, Arcadia
California, 91066.

Either way, we thank you for your kindness. For your support and for your
trust.

OK. Time for me to get back to my desk and back to balancing the
books. For the support fund, I'm Andy Jarema, N6TCQ.

--

Thank you Andy. Now, Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1601 with a
release date of Friday, April 18tht, 2008 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a QST. Dayton honors three hams for their outstanding
contributions to Amateur Radio. We have their reaction. Also, repeater
coordinators will meet the public at Hamvention 2008 and a ham who devised
a possible cancer cure is featured on the CBS news program 60 Minutes. All
this and more on Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) report number 1601 coming your
way
right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

**

HAM HONORS: DARA ANNOUNCES 2008 AWARD WINNERS

The Dayton Hamvention has announced the names of the recipients of this
years Technical Achievement, Special Achievement and Radio Amateur of the
Year Award awards. Awards that some call the Tony, the Emmy and the Oscar
of ham radio. Amateur Radio Newsline's David Black, KB4KCH, spoke to this
years recipients, all of whom are thrilled to have been chosen.

--

The Hamvention's top honor--Amateur of the Year--goes to H. Ward Silver,
N0AX, of Bellevue, Washington:

--

NA0X: "I'm still kinda buzzin' from gettin' the call."

--

Silver's name is synonymous with helping many people get into ham
radio. He's the author of books including Ham Radio For Dummies, along

--

N0AX: "I guess when I was a kid in the basement I never really thought I
was ever going to be Dayton Ham of the Year material but its great to be

--

Silver admits ... he didn't see the Hamvention award coming:

--

N0AX: "It was a big surprise and I was really flabbergasted to get the
call. Its not something you expect and I was very gratified and thankful

--

Terrific is what the Hamvention thinks of the idea Emery W. McClendon, Sr.,
KB9IBW, had back in 2003. That's when the Vietnam Wall exhibit made a stop

--

KB9IBW: "We contacted a lot of stations worldwide and around the country
and it actually brought tears to a lot of peoples eyes. It was very

"Some were active duty in the military and a lot of Vietnam veterans were
on the air that day and it brought a lot of tears and a lot of memories
back to a lot of people."

--

ARMAD's popularity has grown every year, drawing recognition by Indiana
Governor Mitch Daniels, as well as Congressmen, Senators and even the

--

KB9IBW: "I was really happy about it because it was a surprise. That's
not what I am doing all this for. I'm doing it trying to promote Amateur

--

McClendon says ARMAD is helping ham radio grow:

--

KB9IBW: "We've gained several new members to our clubs here and people
inquiring as to how to become Amateur operators and who have tested and

--

Another ham being honored is Thomas C. McDermott, N5EG, of Medford,
Oregon. He's winner of the Hamvention Technical Achievement Award.

--

N5EG: "It was really not expected."

--

McDermott has spent more than 20 years helping promote various amateur
radio technical projects including wireless digital communications.

In 1986, McDermott co-developed the TexNet packet switching network which
covered 3,000 miles at 9600 baud on UHF and connected to nearly fifty links
on 2 meters. He's a founder of the Texas Packet Radio Society and headed
up a 900 MHz spread spectrum project and developed the TAPR-AMSAT Windows
software development system.

--

N5EG: "Hams have been innovators (for) over a hundred years and the one
thing that hams are good at is kind of thinking outside of the box in terms

"A number of the previous award winners have been recognized for doming up
with outside the box solutions, and so I think that kind of the creative
aspect of hams is well matched. And so a lot of hams are interested in
technology and interested in novel solutions."

--

Ward Silver...Emery McClendon...and Thomas McDermott...three amateurs
getting special recognition for their contributions to ham radio. They'll

From the Southeast Bureau in Birmingham, Alabama, I'm David Black, KB4KCH,
for the Amateur Radio Newsline.

--

If you're interested in knowing more about ARMAD, the project Emery
McClendon started, you can check out the project's website at www dot

You can hear more with this years Hamvention award winners on the Rain
Report. Its on-line at www.therainreport.com. (KB4KCH, ARNewsline(tm))

**

REPEATER COORDINATION: NFCC TO MEET IN DAYTON

Still with Hamvention news, word that the National Frequency Coordinators'
Council will be holding an open meeting at the 2008 Dayton
Hamvention. Moderated by NFCC President Jay Maynard, K5ZC, the gathering
takes place on Friday, May 16, from 9:15 to 1015 a.m. in Forum Room 5 of
the Hara Arena.

For those not aware, the National Frequency Coordinators' Council has as
its members the majority of frequency coordination bodies in the United
States. This forum will update NFCC members and those interested in
frequency coordination on the current status of the organization and
spectrum management.

Again that's Friday, May 16, from 9:15 to 10:15 a.m. in Forum Room 5 of
the
Hara Arena for the NFCC at Hamvention 2008. (Via e-mail)

**

REGULATORY ISSUES: I MISS THE FCC

"I Miss The FCC" is an in-depth look at the current state of the Federal
Communications Commission in the April issue of C-Q Magazine that's
certain
to raise some eyebrows in the nation capital as well within the ham radio
community. Penned by Jeff Reinhardt, AA6JR, who is also a contributor to
Newsline, the article traces the agency from its days as the enforcer of
technical standards to the FCC of today which seems to be bending over
backward to the whim and will of those it is supposed to regulate.

One of the cases cited by Reinhardt was the Telecommunications Act if 1996
which revamped the original 1934 legislation. Reinhardt notes that much of
it was written by industry lobbyists which resulted in the nations airwaves
being delivered to commercial interests.

The bottom line: Jeff Reinhardt's "I Miss The FCC" is a must read for
hams, G-M-R-S, CB'ers and any small entity that uses radio spectrum. It
sheds a whole new light on what is really happening in the halls and
offices of the FCC. It begins on page 66 of the April issue of CQ
Magazine. (CQ, ARNewsline(tm))

**

BREAK 1

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline,
heard on bulletin stations around the world including the VA2OZ repeater
serving Montreal, Canada.

(5 sec pause here)

**

RESCUE RADIO: CONGRESS ASKS WHY NOBODY BID ON NEW EMCOMM SERVICE

A congressional panel wants to know why a plan aimed at using public
airwaves and private money to create a nationwide emergency communications
network failed to attract any interest in a recent spectrum auction.

The FCC had approved construction of the emergency communications plan last
summer. Under the scheme, the regulatory agency set aside about one sixth
of the recently auctioned airwaves for such an interoperable system to be
built. Called the D block, it would have been combined with a roughly
equal portion of spectrum controlled by the public safety trust to create a
shared network. The winning bidder for the D block would be required to
build and maintain the network in the public interest. It
would eventually make a profit by selling any excess broadband access to
wireless service providers.

When the auction had been completed all but Block D had been sold. Now,
the House Energy and Commerce telecommunications and the Internet
subcommittee is to hear testimony from all five members of the Federal
Communications Commission on the issue. It also plans to summon key
figures in the behind-the-scenes negotiations that failed to lead to an
agreement to construct the wireless broadband network.

The government says that construction of such a network is essential to
avoid the emergency communications gaps that occurred with Hurricane
Katrina in 2005 and the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The FCC had placed a $1.33 billion minimum bid to win this public safety
frequency block. That, combined with the untold billions of dollars needed
to build and maintain it with may have scared off potential investors in
this time of economic downturn. Especially with no immediate way to see a
return on the investment.

It also means that for the foreseeable future, Amateur Radio remains the
only non centralized fully interoperable emergency communications system in
the United States. Hams say that they are more than ready to meet the
challenge. (ARNewsline(tm) from published reports)

**

HAM HISTORY: INTERNATIONAL MARCONI DAY - APRIL 26

An important radio celebration is coming up. Jim Davis, W2JKD, has the
details:

--

The 21st International Marconi Day event takes place on Saturday, April
26th. This is a 24 hour operating event held annually to celebrate the

International Marconi Day is not a contest. Rather, it is an opportunity
for radio amateurs around the world to make point-to-point contact with
historic Marconi sites using High Frequency communications techniques
similar to those used by Marconi. Its also a chance to qualify for an
attractive citation for achieving the requisite number of Marconi Award
stations worked.

International Marconi Day is usually held on the Saturday closest to
Marconi's birthday. Award Stations and rules for International Marconi Day
are on line at www.gb4imd.org.uk.

--

Again Marconi Day this year is on Saturday, April 26th and runs for 24
hours. Many commemorative stations around the world will be on to take

**

ENFORCEMENT: FLORIDA UNLICENSED BROADCASTER FINED $1500

An unlicensed broadcaster in Florida has been fined $1500. Roubens
Maignan of Port Saint Lucie was ordered to pay the forfeiture after the FCC
traced a signal on 106.1 MHz to his home.

Maignan was initially hit with a Notice of Apparent Liability for
Forfeiture in the amount of ten thousand dollars.. Maignan submitted a
response to the N-A-L requesting a reduction or cancellation of the
proposed forfeiture. . While de did not dispute the violation but did claim
that he did not know that his actions violated the rules or the
Communications Act. Maignan also stated that payment of the forfeiture
would pose an undue financial hardship to his family.

The FCC says that after examining the financial documentation submitted
with the response that a reduction in the amount of the fine to $1500 was
appropriate in this case and affirmed that amount. Maignan was given the
customary 30 days to pay or to file an appeal. (FCC)

**

ENFORCEMENT: MICHIGAN CB'ER ADMITS USING LINEAR

An unnamed Michigan C-B operator who admitted he was using an illegal
amplifier has been warned by the FCC to stop using it and to stop causing
interference to his neighbors.

Back on March 26th agents from the Detroit office attempted to inspect the
suspected CB station but its owner was not available. In a subsequent
March 28th telephone call with an FCC agent, the operator reportedly
admitted using a 350 watt CB linear amplifier.

Now, in its April 2nd follow-up letter the FCC has warned the CB'er that
operation of the linear constitutes the use of radio transmitting equipment
without a valid radio station authorization and that this is a violation of
the Federal law. He was told that this could lead to punitive action in
the form of monetary fines, seizure of his equipment, and criminal
sanctions including imprisonment. The CB operator was ordered to respond
back to the FCC and address all of the allegations against him within ten
days. (FCC)

**

THE SOCIAL SCENE: SHELBY HAMFEST FOLLOW-UP

A follow-up to last weeks story on the possible closing of the Shelby
Hamfest. Despite recent contract disagreements between the Shelby Amateur
Radio Club and the Cleveland County Fair Association, plans are continuing
to hold the 50 year county tradition that draws electronics aficionados
from across the country.

According to a report in the Shelby Star newspaper, Hamfest Chairman Robby
Hamrick, WA4RH, is quoted as saying that as far as the Hamfest going on,
right now, we're still in the process of planning.

Hamrick told the Star that the Shelby Hamfest has not been cancelled but at
the moment the club is unsure as to where it is going to hold it. Hamrick
said that the group is looking at all its options.

As previously reported, the Shelby Hamfest will not take place at its usual
location because of disagreements with this year's contract conditions set
by the fairgrounds association. Decisions on what steps will be taken will
be posted to the hamfest website www.shelbyhamfest.com/ as soon as they are
available. (Shelby Star, others)

**

THE SOCIAL SCENE: BOXBORO WANTS YOU

While this event is still several months away the planners of the combined
Boxboro Hamfest ARRL New England Division Convention are looking for
speakers and other participants to fill out the convention program. The
event takes place August 22, 23 and 24th at the Holiday Inn Boxboro Woods
in Boxborough, Massachusetts.

According to web postings by the planning people, they have some 50 hours
of programming to fill. They are looking for programs and presenters with
material that will both captivate and entertain an audience to fill these
slots.

Also if you are a representative of a club or organization in need of a
place to gather, the folks at Boxboro say that they can help facilitate an
open or closed meetings by providing a meeting room for Sunday. If you are
interested in taking them up on their offer or if you want to present a
forum, please contact Boxboro Program Chairman Ken Caruso, WO1N, by e-mail
to WO1N at arrl dot net. More convention information is on-line at
www.boxboro.org. (Boxboro Hamfest)

**

THE SOCIAL SCENE: MAJOR UK HAMFEAST CANCELLED
Meantime, from across the Atlantic comes word that rising costs and a
decline in attendance have lead to the cancellation of the United Kingdom'
Elvaston Castle ham radio rally. At one time the Elvaston Castle rally was
the 2nd biggest hamfest in the East Midlands area of the U-K.. (G0EJQ)
**
NAMES IN THE NEWS: ZS1YT INAUGERATED AS NEW SARL PRESIDENT
Some names in the news. First up is Rassie Erasmus, ZS1YT, who has been
inaugurated as the new president of the South Africa Radio League. In his
inaugural address Erasmus said that Amateur Radio is a foundation for
technical knowledge and that it is no secret that many professionals in the
field of radio, TV, communications and electronics have started their
technical education as young radio amateurs. He said that it should still
be used as a unique attraction for future young radio amateurs.
For his Presidential year he has chosen three themes that flow from the
organizations slogan of "Amateur Radio Communication Technology in
Action." These are growth in the application of new technologies, growth
of the radio amateur community in South Africa and growth of the South
Africa Radio League membership to the point where we can say we truly
represent the Radio Amateurs of South Africa.

Erasmus also paid tribute to the outgoing President Graham Hartlett,
ZS6GJH, for his leadership over the past several years. He presented
Hartlett with an honorary life membership of the SARL. (SARL)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: CELEBRATING WITH A NEW BOOK UNDER THE ICE

Back in the U-S-A, author Don Keith, N4KC, is celebrating the publication
of his latest book and the event it details with an on the air
operation. Amateur Radio Newsline's Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, has the story on
the book and what's to follow:

--

Don Keith's "The Ice Diaries" tells the story of USS Nautilus, the world's
first nuclear vessel, and its historic trip to the North Pole in August

And to celebrate its publication, and the 50th anniversary of the Nautilus
reaching the North Pole, N4KC will take to the ham radio airways the
weekend of August 2 and 3rd. In a cooperative venture with the Southern
New England Region of the Navy and Marine Corps Military Affiliate Radio
System and the Submarine Base Amateur Radio Club stations, Don will be
operating from the grounds of Historic Ship Nautilus and the Submarine
Force Museum and Library in Groton, Connecticut.

The on-air operation will use special events call sign N9N. This stands
for "Nautilus 90 North," and recalling the historic radio message sent
President Eisenhower when the ship emerged from beneath the ice pack to
announce the mission's success. The North Pole is at 90 degrees north
latitude.

Tentative operating frequencies will be 7.279 MHz on 40 meters and 14.243
and 14.343 MHz on 20 meters, depending on prior use and QRM, using
SSB. Other bands, modes, and frequencies may also be activated depending
on response and demand. Don hopes to work as many of you as he possibly
can.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, in Los Angeles.

--

A Special commemorative QSLs will be sent to those who confirm contact and
include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Further information is on-line

**

BREAK 2

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the United States
of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the world from
our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being relayed by the
volunteer services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY: NRSC ANNOUNCES UPDATED IBOC STANDARD

The National Radio Systems Committee has adopted an updated version of its
in-band/on-channel or IBOC digital radio broadcasting standard. According
to an announcement made at the National Association of Broadcasters
convention in Las Vegas, Nevada, the new NRSC-5-B standard includes some
editorial updates, as well as a revised FM IBOC RF mask submitted to the
NRSC by iBiquity Digital.

iBiquity Digital developed the original HD Radio IBOC technology. The
updated standard will be available to the public at the National Radio
Systems Committee website in about four weeks. This, following a final
procedural review.

For those not aware, the National Radio Systems Committee is a
standards-setting body co-sponsored by the National Association of
Broadcasters and the Consumer Electronics Association. (NAB-NRSC)

**

HAM HAPPENINGS: THE ARRL AND TAPR DCC WANTS PAPERS

Technical papers are solicited for presentation at the 27th Annual ARRL and
TAPR Digital Communications Conference to be held in Chicago from September
26th to the 28t. These papers will also be published in the
Conference Proceedings.

Authors do not need to attend the conference to have their paper included
in the Proceedings. The submission deadline is July 31, 2008. Papers will
be published exactly as submitted and authors will retain all rights.

Please send papers to Maty Weinberg at the ARRL, 225 Main St Newington, CT
0611. Or you can make your submission via e-mail to (WB8IMY)

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: CALL FOR CUBESAT PROPOSALS

The European Space Agency Education Office has received good response to
its call for CubeSat proposals issued last month to universities in ESA
member nations and other cooperating states. This to participate in the
development of an educational payload for the maiden flight of the new
Vega launch rocket currently scheduled for December.

The launch opportunity on the Vega maiden flight is being offered free of
charge for up to 6 CubeSats, with an additional 2 backup CubeSats on back
up standby. The ESA Education Office says that it recognizes the growing
importance of CubeSat projects as a key tool in providing university
students with a valuable hands-on practical education across all space
engineering disciplines from end-to-end through the complete space project
lifecycle. (ESA)

**

WORLDBEAT INDIA: THE NIAR SLVER JUBILEE
India's National Institute of Amateur Radio will be celebrating its 'Silver
Jubilee' in the city of Hyderabad between October 18th to the 20th. To
commemorate the event, look for some special activities to take place
between October 24th and November 3rd from many locations across India
including operations from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands as well as the
Lakshadweep Islands.
The National Institute says that it will be assisting foreign amateurs in
obtaining reciprocal licenses or operation permits for the VU4 and VU7
activation's. More information is available at
www.niar.org. The
National Institute of Amateur Radio is India's national Amateur Radio
society. (Southgate)
**

WORLDBEAT - IRELAND: ATV REPEATER BACK ON THE AIR

Ireland's EI2WTR fast scan amateur television repeater is back on air from
Helvick Head. This after the system was re-housed in separate RF-tight
boxes over the winter. The repeater unit consists of a G1MFG Transmitter on
1249 MHz with about 10 watts through to a horizontally polarized slot
antenna. It uses a G1MFG Receiver on 1290 MHz from the same antenna
through the duplexer. Helvick Head overlooks Dungarvan County in Waterford
and is the same site as the 2 metre East Cork voice repeater. (IATV)

**

WORLDBEAT - SCOTLAND: UK FIRST 3 CM FM REPEATER

The first ever 10GHz FM voice repeater in the United Kingdom came on the
air on the 14th March. GB3TC, co-sited with GB3CS in Lanarkshire operates
on a channel pair of 10.371.1MHz in and 10.471.1MHz out and requires either
103.5Hz sub audible tone or 1750Hz tone burst for access. It also transmits
an FM beacon giving its call and locator every 60 seconds when not
repeating. More information from www.csfmg.com. (GB2RS)

**

WORLDBEAT - UK: UK REPEATER ON CURFEW TO FIGHT USER ABUSE

A United Kingdom repeater has place a curfew on its operation. This, to
combat abuse of the system by some of its users.

According to the GB2RS News Service, the Bristol Channel Repeater, GB3BC,
is now being switched off every night from 23.45. The system remains off
until 7.00 a.m.. Its administrators say that this operational format will
until further notice due to unacceptable levels of night-time repeater
abuse.

Unlike in the United States where another repeater might pop on the channel
when another goes away, that's not likely to happen in the U-K. This is
because repeaters there are individually licensed and the national society
rather than members of the ham radio public hold these licenses. A person
or group sponsoring a repeater is called a repeater keeper. He, she or
they are not licensees.

Also, telecommunications regulator Ofcom is notoriously quick to react
against any unlicensed operations within its jurisdiction. (GB2RS)

**

DX

In DX, word from ARRL DXCC Manager Bill Moore, NC1L, that the 2007 G4GIR
slash KH9 DXpedition to Wake Island has been approved for DXCC
credit. Moore says that if you had cards rejected for this operation,
please send an e-mail to the ARRL DXCC Desk to have your DXCC record
updated.

Moore and the ARRL have announced several more operations that have been
approved for DXCC credit. These include the : the 2007 5X1NH operation to
Uganda,; the 2007 S05A operation to Western Sahara; the 2008 operation to
Burundi, as 9UXEV; the 2008 YK9G operation to Syria and the current HZ1PS
operation in Saudi Arabia.

In general D-X news, word that seven operators are planning to be active as
4U1VIC from United Nations station in Vienna, Austria during the CQ World
Wide CW Contest on May 24th and 25th as a Multi-2 entry. QSL info will be
announced at a later date.

Z33F and Z31MM will be active at the 3V8SS Tunisian Scout Club Station
between from May 15th to the 26th. Listen out for them on all bands
including 30, 17 and 12 meters using CW, SSB, P-S-K and even Slow Scan T-V.
QSL 3V8SS via IZ8FWN.

Lastly, word that K9GY, will be back at the YN2N station near Granada
between November 22nd and December 1st. He plans to be active during the CQ
World Wide DX CW Contest on November 29th and 30t) as a Single-Operator,
All-Band, Low-Power entry. Please QSL electronically using the ARRL's
Logbook to the World but he will accept and respond to printed QSL's as
well.

(Above from various DX News Spources)

**

THAT FINAL ITEM: HAM WORKING ON CANCER CURE FEATURED ON 60 MINUTES

And finally this week, a ham who has deeply involved himself in finding a
cure for cancer was featured on the Sunday, April 13th edition of the CBS
news program 60 Minutes. Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, watched the segment and
has mo

--

John Kanzius, K3TUP, of Erie Pennsylvania, has been working on an RF-based
treatment for cancer that is currently undergoing testing. Kansius says he

Determined that there had to be a better alternative he believed that radio
held the key.

Knowing that R-F can heat metal, K3TUP reasoned that a tumor injected with
something metallic could be destroyed without harm to the rest of a
patients body. The answer to the need for an injectible metal came in the
form of recently developed carbon and gold nano-particles that can be
introduce directly into a tumor and then radiated with a machine that K3TUP
designed and built. Initial experiments on lab animals have proved promise
in the system but many more trials are needed before the treatment can be
tried on humans.

Cancer researchers interviewed on the program said that they are very
excited about John Kanzius discoveries. No research dollars are now
flowing into a pair of studies on animals. This, in the hope of refining
the system to where it can not just also destroy localized tumor but also
to keep the cancer cells from spreading to other parts of the body. Much
of the 60 minutes report was dedicated to this ongoing work.

John Kanzius, K3TUP, says he hopes it happens in his lifetime.

At the studio in Los Angeles, I'm Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, for the Amateur
Radio Newsline.

--

You can see the segment of 60 minutes in its entirety at
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...1.shtml?source

You can read more about John Kanzius, K3TUP, and his ground-breaking idea
to kill cancer cells with radio in the February 2008 issue of QST
Magazine. (ARNewsline(tm) from various sources)

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

With thanks to Alan Labs, AMSAT, the ARRL, the CGC Communicator, CQ
Magazine, the FCC, the Ohio Penn DX Bulletin, Radio Netherlands, Rain, the
RSGB, the Southgate News and Australia's WIA News, that's all from the
Amateur Radio Newsline(tm). Our e-mail address is
. More information is available at Amateur Radio
Newsline's(tm) only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org. You can
also write to us or support us at Amateur Radio Newsline(tm), P.O. Box
660937,
Arcadia, California 91066.

Before we go we want to remind you that the nominating period for the 2008
Amateur Radio Newsline Young Ham of the Year is now open. Any licensed
radio amateur age 18 or younger residing in the United States or Canada is
eligible for the award. Full details and both downloadable and on-line
nominating forms are in cyberspace at www.YHOTY.org.

Also, a reminder of our on-line website poll. This month we are asking how
high the price of a gallon of gas has to go before it keeps you from
hopping into your car for a ride over to a hamfest. To vote, simply take
your web browser to www.arnewsline.org, scroll down until you see the poll
area on the left side of the screen and cast your ballot. The real time
results that includes your vote will be instantly displayed.

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editors desk, I'm Don
Wilbanks, AE5DW, saying 73 and we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.