Old April 26th 09, 04:22 PM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default WIANEWS for week commencing April 26 2009

attached
SB QNEWS @ WW $QNEWS090426
QNEWS - APR 26 - VK4 ON AIR
DID YOU TELL ANYONE ABOUT AMATEUR RADIO THIS WEEK?

QNEWS BROADCAST APRIL 26 2009

THANK YOU
A big thank you to all the clubs who are getting behind the idea of
having their own members present their own clubs news here on QNEWS
each week!

BARC
http://www.qsl.net/vk4ba
or, by E-mail to

The Brisbane amateur Radio Club will be holding its annual BARCFEST on
Saturday 9th May 2009 at the Mt Gravatt showgrounds Logan Rd Mt Gravatt.

Doors will open at 9.30am this year.

(Les VK4SO Barcfest co ordinator)

BORDERLAND (VK2/4)

NEW CLUB FOR BORDER REGION AMATEUR RADIO ENTHUSIASTS

Last week we mentioned the new club in VK4, the Border Ranges Amateur Radio
Club. President Paul has said "Thanks to the work of local amateur radio
hobbyists over recent years, B.R.A.R.C. already has an extensive network of
amateur radio VHF repeaters on high points of the Great Dividing Range near
Tenterfield and Legume, VK2. Recently the repeaters have been networked via
radio links to provide extensive coverage from VK4 Toowoomba in the north,
to Glen Innes in the south.

This growing network is used to communicate between amateur radio operators
throughout the club area Club President Paul Thompson said.

B.R.A.R.C. welcomes everyone interested in electronics, amateur radio, or in
exploring a new and interesting hobby to attend its meetings held at
the Royal Hotel, Tenterfield.

Their website is
http://sites.google.com/site/brargu/

GOLD COAST AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY
http://www.goldcoastamateurradio.com
IRLP Node 6702

Today, Sunday, 26 April at the Club Rooms from 1pm there will be an 80m

Antenna Raising Day. The trees have been cut down and the lawn has been

mown and now all we need to do is get the station back on air.

So lets do what a bunch of Hams do best. Put wires in the air and stand

around talking, drinking and admiring their handy work

So come and join in the fun.

A foundation course commences at the club on Wednesday evening 29th
April at 7pm. If you know of anyone who may be interested in obtaining
their Foundation Licence then they can contact Don vk4rh or Roy vk4ig
and also have a look on the club website gcars.com.au

The Alara ladies are having another luncheon on Saturday 9th May at
Gordoni's on the Broadwater Paradise Point. The cost is $20 a head and
you can contact Pam at . The Ladies really know how to
have a good time so come along and join in the fun.

Are you planning a holiday in November, well why not arrange it around
Hamfest time, and combine a holiday and a get together at the same time.
Remember the Hamfest will be held in November More news will be given as
it comes to hand.

GYMPIE
www.gceginc.org.au
Geoff Emery vk4zpp

As the year progresses, more clubs are having annual general meetings and
election of office bearers and so I start with a discussion point, today.

One of the problems that any club must overcome is finding the willing souls
to form the executive or working committee that takes care of the mundane
things that makes the club run. As has been well emphasised since well before
the introduction of the Foundation Licence, the average age of the Amateur
Radio community is increasing.

Within the community people live with a range of different conditions that
make life a bit different for each of us.
As most people age, they find that the changes that life brings may not, in
fact, promote their personal lifestyle. Other people come with different
programming and whether we call it disability or difference makes little
difference except that within a club we need to cater for all members. It is
not only the obvious things like having buildings that are wheelchair
accessible but also being able to understand that certain noises, types of
lighting and irritants like pollens and paints may cause some of our members
to suffer, nausea, headache and other reactions, for instance.

As people's lives go on, the ability to deal with different factors can
change. How many members of your club, for instance, suffer deafness as a
result of their work environment? How many people in your club may have to
take medications which can effect their alertness and ability to participate
in animated discussions in a noisy environment?
How many people are just uncomfortable during meetings because bits of them
just hurt?

But just as there are points to consider as far as life effects the
individual, the club committee must think about being able to fill the normal
gaps that occur. Not only holidays from the salt mines but the need to meet
other family or personal commitments may take people away, for periods, from
close involvement in club activities. It is for this reason that we should
give consideration in having a training program where other club members get
to know the tasks that need to be done by sharing the work. Call it on the
job training, if you like.

Should it be necessary, having people able to fill in a role in your club can
ensure that projects, meetings and training can all continue when a regular
member is absent.

This is important, particularly in the smaller groups, to ensure continuity
but also to prevent individual burn out or if the same members always do the
same jobs, a sense of clique-iness being felt by the other club members.

After all, we take up a recreation, a hobby, because of the enjoyment that we
can get from it. Our participation in a radio club should be an extension of
that enjoyment through the sharing of ideas and experience and the fact that
a club that is working well will provide that sense of belonging as well as
broadening our personal horizons. It is by taking care of the practical, but
at times not so obvious areas of membership support, that can build the
spirit of any organisation.

When we think about these things what it comes down to is really the
application of the Amateurs Creed within our club structure as well as in
our personal on air activities.

Remember that GCEG conducts a weekly net on VK4RCM, 146.725MHz each Monday at
7.30 p.m. The next monthly meeting of the group will be held at the basement
of Leading Edge Electronics, on Thursday 7th May.

Redcliffe and District Radio Club
www.redclifferadioclub.org.au/
Redcliffe and District Radio Club

Hello I'm Ray VK4CF with news from Redcliffe Radio Club.

Last Monday night, 50 club members and several visitors listened
to Phil, VK4IIO speak on Introduction into Amateur satellites. By
use of a PowerPoint presentation and his 2 metre and 70 cm dual
band Arrow antenna and a parabolic reflector mounted on a solid
1 metre high tower, Phil started out by explaining the basics of
satellites and how their transmitters and receivers are connected.
Once this was done it was on to the low earth orbit satellites
with between 5 to 10 minute window of operating time and then on
to Phil's favourite high orbit satellites with between 10 to 12
hours window of operation.

Phil's main point on satellite communications was that it is
better to have the best receiver setup rather than a big
transmitter. Phil also showed a short video of a contact he made
with a VK3 amateur last Sunday on a low earth orbit satellite

He said that to contact satellites is not difficult and with a
handheld transceiver, a simple antenna and some fast tuning it is
possible to work the world with the right satellite. Members gave
Phil a warm round of applause and offered to assist all members
with his equipment to assist with satellite communication with
satellites. Thanks Phil it was a great presentation.

Graham VK4JGH, videotaped the presentation and it will be
available on YouTube very soon.
It was also pleasing to meet and greet James, VK4HJB, Neville,
VK4NBR and Darryl VK4HDC from the Bayside AR Club for the second
week in a row to discuss how the club functions and how to get the
all important grants from organizations to with money to assist
with club operations.

The club will be conducting a Working bee Sat 30th May. This will
finish the laying the remaining concrete paths around the club
house that have been held up by rain over the last few months.
On the Afternoon of Friday 29th starting at 2.30pm, the site will
be prepared, ready for the arrival of the concrete early Saturday
morning. Members available should contact club secretary Peter,
VK4TAA as soon as possible.

Foundation licence course started last Sunday morning and this is
your last chance to join the course which is held from 8 am -12
noon for about 6 weeks (including assessment weekend). If you
wish to join the course contact Allen on his Email address,

Until next week, this is Ray VK4CF.

TOWNSVILLE
contacting theTARCinc
email address

phone contact 07-47731196 or 0408 001142
snailmail po box 333 Garbutt East, QLD 4814
homepage
http://www.tarc.org.au

Ann Renton Memorial Ladies Net this Tuesday

One of the friendliest radio nets in the land happens
this Tuesday evening from 7-30pm on the Townsville
VHF Repeater ... the Ann Renton Memorial Ladies Net !
The net is open to young and old, YL or OM and is a
golden opportunity for anyone who needs practice
on-air to go onto the net as 2nd operator.
So join in to this Tuesday evenings net and
lets see if the YLs can outnumber the OMs !

Hot and Steamy in the Burdekin on May Long Weekend

The Burdekin Machinery Restorers will be holding a 25th Birthday
celebrations at their old Museum Building at Brandon on the Bruce Highway.
On show will be some of John Taits (VK4FUT RIP) old steam engines
and his boiler which has been relocated from Ayr to its present site at

Brandon.
There will be a Surprise Mystery yet Notorious Guest on hand during the

morning of Sunday 3rd of May to officially open the Museum and start the
machinery.
All the restored machinery was donated to the museum by John Tait even though
some of his engines were restored but never run up until this opening.

73 de Ross VK4RO

A blank email with word subscribe in subject field
Send as

MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO

- NEWS POSTING TO PACKET -
Courtesy Tony VK7AX VK7AX(AT)VK7AX.#ULV.TAS.AUS.OC

PAGE_END
/EX

SB NEWS @ WW $VK1WIA090426
WIANEWS - Apr 26 - VK NATIONAL NEWS

ALWAYS ENSURE ORIGINAL BID # AND TITLE ARE USED.
Packet uploads with thanks to vk7ax Tony

THE BEST NEWS YOU'LL GET ALL WEEK

Oh... and to contact us with your news because
If It Matters To You It Matters To Us!

email

Please.. write your story as you would expect to hear it being read back
do NOT send us links and url's!!

WIANews 24/7 with the following bulletin in Audio
when you visit the MEMBERS AREA on
www.wia.org.au
This weeks WIANews available in Audio after 0100hrs UTC Saturday.
http://www.wiaq.com/ftp/wianews_128.mp3 HD Radio quality
http://www.wiaq.com/ftp/wianews_64.mp3 FM Radio quality
http://www.wia.org.au (click news in member area) Submit your audio news
http://www.wiaq.com and click the QNEWS link to see weekly news stats

free emailed script
http://lists.wia.org.au/mailman/listinfo/vk1wia-news

Now you can dial this WIANews wherever you are on the
"gateway dot net dot au" 1300 phone service.
Dial 1300 558 592 and at the prompt type W.I.A.N. (That's 9426).
"Standard call rate from fixed home phone, higher from mobiles".

This is WIANEWS for week commencing April 26 2009

WIA CLUB GRANT SCHEME AND $6000 UP FOR GRABS.

VK1PM SILENT KEY

A LONG ESTABLISHED VK7 GROUP CONSIDERING A NAME CHANGE

A BRIEF LOOK AT WRC 2011

IS THE 70CM BAND EARMARKED FOR NEW MEDICAL DEVICES?

NEW CLOCK DOES LOSE TIME.. ABOUT 1 SECOND IN 300 MILLION YEARS!!!

THESE STORIES PLUS MORE, All up and coming in WIANEWS for week commencing
April 26.

Michael Owen - VK3KI - Our WIA President has said the WIA Board at its face
to face meeting in March reviewed the Club Grant Scheme's operation and
has resolved to conduct the scheme again this year, with a budget of $6,000.

In accordance with Rules adopted last year, the Board identified two kinds of
project that would be supported this year, in particular, projects and
activities (to be conducted before 1 April 2010) to attract new amateurs
and projects supporting emergency communications and preparedness for
emergency communications.

It was agreed that properly, establishing a club's WIA Membership Percentage,
(which is defined in the Club Scheme Rules on the WIA website), would be a
condition precedent to participation this year.

ww.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2009/20090414-2/index.php

From Alice Springs to Auburn, Sterling to Stonnington, Brighton to Barossa

- help put local government on the air.

Take part in the inaugural Australian Shires Contest to be held on the 6th
and 7th of June, plus run logs for the Worked All Queensland Shires Award
and the Victorian Local Government Award -.. the perfect amateur radio
trifecta this winter.

One of VK's greatest experimenters was one "Alf Traeger" who
pioneered the use of cheap to produce, rugged and reliable
HF transmitters for use with the Royal Flying Doctor Service? and if you
are in Tassie May 13, get along to the N.T.A.R.C. meeting, 6.30pm at
Launceston Airports RFDS depot. Again this is the 13th of May, you'll get
to see one of these historic and life-saving one-watt wonders.

Before we pedal off around Australia this week, a note in from arguably
Australia's leading IRLP "Guru" Mike VK8ZMA/MA/ CU4AX

"Things are starting to go well here in the Azores and another couple of weeks
and the install will be finished at the worksite. I got Node 8191 up here on
the weekend.

No RF yet just the box testing it all out and reconfiguring it. My brackets
are being made for the antenna this week so certainly in the next week or two
it will actually radiate the VK1WIA NEWS Programme!!

The call back info will come from a slightly weird address
as I can't get the box to send mail via the Portuguese ISP as it is blocked.

I will work on that when I get time.

I will give you broadcast times frequencies etc once it all settles down here.

Node 8191 will be in the Azores until December 2010.

Cheers

Mike
CU4AX"

As bookings for GippsTech Special Edition, the 2009 WIA AGM weekend of
activities draw to a close, we are aware there are still some people who
have indicated they intended to join in the weekend, however we do not
appear to have received their registration either via the website or mailed
to the WIA office. As it is necessary to finalise numbers for the each of
the events and for catering purposes, registrations will close 9:00am
tomorrow, Monday the 27th of April.

So if you have not already done so, please take a moment to complete the
online registration form.

If you have registered, then your weekend registration kit will arrive in
the mail shortly. The registration kit includes your registration card(s),
a copy of the weekend Program and information guide and some Gippsland local
area tourist brochures.

Looking forward to seeing you at GippsTech Special edition, the 2009 WIA AGM
weekend of activities.

HAMS ACROSS AUSTRALIA.

VK1
vk1 local news email and ask for subscription.

Silent Key

The sad news comes at the passing of Ron VK1PM, he was quite possibly one of
the original members of the Canberra Radio Club, probably from 1951.

A radio operator during World War 2 serving in the Milne Bay precinct, he
regularly entered Remembrance Day contests with quite a few certificates on
the wall to attest to his endurance, staying awake for hours at a time on
these weekends.

Ron was amongst the first in Canberra to build his own television set, with
a huge TV antenna fixed to the house, the family regularly watched Sydney
television from about 1960, 6 years before television arrived in Canberra.

A small and informal memorial service was held for Ron VK1PM at the Canberra
Yacht Club Wednesday last.

VK2
web service:-
http://www.arnsw.org.au/html/news_vk2wi.htm
VKG Roundup http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news

Last week we mentioned the new club in VK4, the Border Ranges Amateur Radio
Club. President Paul has said "Thanks to the work of local amateur radio
hobbyists over recent years, B.R.A.R.C. already has an extensive network of
amateur radio VHF repeaters on high points of the Great Dividing Range near
Tenterfield and Legume, VK2. Recently the repeaters have been networked via
radio links to provide extensive coverage from VK4 Toowoomba in the north,
to Glen Innes in the south. BRARC already has two linked repeaters and shortly
will be adding two additional 2M repeaters in the linked network. These sites
are at Riversdale above Glen Lyon Dam (between Texas & Tenterfield) and
Mt Marley in Stanthorpe.

This growing network is used to communicate between amateur radio operators
throughout the club area Club President Paul Thompson said.

B.R.A.R.C. welcomes everyone interested in electronics, amateur radio, or in
exploring a new and interesting hobby to attend its meetings held at
the Royal Hotel, Tenterfield.

Their website is http://sites.google.com/site/brargu/

VK3
web service:- http://www.amateurradio.com.au/news/
VKC Roundup http://www.police

The 2009 Moorabbin and District Radio Club Hamfest takes place Saturday
9th May with doors open at 10AM in the Brentwood Secondary College,
Glen Waverley.

VK4
web service local news:- www.wiaq.com/qnews/upload/qnewsbcast.htm
local news email
VKR Roundup
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+an...edia+Releases/

Gold Coast Amateur Radio Society

Are you planning a holiday in November, well why not arrange it around
Hamfest time, and combine a holiday and a get together at the same time.
Remember the Hamfest will be held in November More news will be given as
it comes to hand.

The 26th Far North and North Queensland Amateur Radio Gathering takes place
from Friday 5th to Monday 8th June at Cardwell Village Beachcomber Motel
and Tourist Park.

If you are spending Winter in the tropics plan to attend!! Just contact
Gavin his email address is

BUT the Campsites, Caravan sites, Motel rooms, Villas and Cottages are going
fast. If you haven't already booked your accommodation then you need to get
cracking !

Contact the Cardwell Village Beachcomber Motel and Tourist Park!

Phone (07) 4066 8550
Fax (07) 4066 8941
Book 1800 005633

VK7
local area news :-
http://reast.asn.au/news.php
vk7 local news, email

The next general meeting of N.W.T.A.R.I.G. has been brought forward to the
2nd of May to consider proposals on a possible name change, and to make the
club an incorporated body.

This allow members time to consider the options before voting at a Special
General meeting called for 30th May 2009. The meeting venue is at the
Penguin Lions club rooms.

(David Cleland, VK7DC, Secretary, NWTARIG)

EDUCATION YOUTH AND ADVANCEMENT OF AMATEUR RADIO
www.hamcollege.com.au

Congratulations to Garry Wilmott who has received his callsign after recent
assessments and is VK7VMS. We look forward to hearing on the air soon.

NEW ZEALAND MAY INTRODUCE FOUNDATION CLASS

New Zealand appears headed toward the introduction of an entry level
Foundation Class ham radio operating permit. This according to the
February minutes of the New Zealand national amateur radio society NZART

ZL2UFI has presented a draft document on the creation of a Foundation
Amateur Operators Certificate. Also that the Council agreed that while
future members on Council may not share the view of an additional license
that the present Council members had been tasked at the AGM in 2008 to
proceed with the option of a Foundation Certificate.

But there is one caveat. Any New Zealand Foundation Class will not be
considered as a full license. Rather it will be a Foundation Certificate
so that the nations telecommunications regulator the MED is not forced to
introduce a new grade of examination.

(sourced to arnewsline)

INTERNATIONAL NEWS With thanks to RSGB, Southgate AR Club, the ARRL,
Amateur Radio Newsline, NZART and the WW sources of the WIA.

Among the 25 items on the agenda of the next World Radiocommunication
Conference in 2011 is consideration of possible allocations for
oceanographic radar.

Early indications are that a few of those proposing such allocations
between 3MHz and 50MHz are mindful of the problems that could result, from
sharing spectrum with the Amateur Service.

Spectrum hungry oceanographic radar bounces HF radio signals of sea waves
to map currents.

Also on the agenda is the 600 metre band. A number of countries have
already permitted their radio amateurs access to that part of the spectrum
on a limited experimental basis for propagation studies.

This spectrum at the bottom end of the AM broadcast band was traditionally
for the Maritime Service.

Since 1906 the frequency 500kHz has been designated as an international
distress frequency and is as old as the distress signal S0S adopted in the
same year.

That frequency had been monitored every hour for distress signals is
credited with saving 10,000 lives, including more than 700 from on the
Titanic.

It is considered by many to be a maritime heritage frequency of major
significance, the Amateur Service is ideally placed to help keep it alive
through the use of Morse code.

Before the development of modern radar, other frequencies in that band
were used for direction finding and it continues to have a navigation
role.

While 500 kHz may be considered to be a maritime heritage frequency of
major significance, the Amateur Service is ideally placed to help keep its
radiotelegraphy history alive.

Among other items on the agenda are regulatory measures to enable
software-defined and cognitive radio systems and examination of the effect
of emissions from short-range devices also known as low interference
potential devices.

WRC-11 is expected to be held the 24th of October to 18th of November in
Geneva.

(vk3pc)

PRINTING OF ZS AMATEUR RADIO LICENSES EXPECTED TO RESUME SOON

Earlier this year ICASA suspended the printing of licences on plain paper as
some fraudulent licences were printed outside ICASA. ICASA Management has
ordered special paper with security water markings to ensure that any
fraudulently printed licenses can be easily identified. The supply of the
special paper is expected within the next two weeks, when all outstanding
licenses will be printed and sent out. ICASA assures all radio amateurs who
have passed the RAE, and who have been issued with callsigns, that they may
operate, even if they do not have the printed license

FCC PROPOSES UP TO 20 MHz AT 70CM FOR MEDICAL BREAKTHROUGH

The FCC has suggested the allocation of 20 MHz of prime UHF spectrum in 413
to 456 MHz band for a truly worthy cause. But one that could adversely

impact current spectrum users including the Amateur Radio and Amateur
Satellite services.

FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking ET Docket 09-36 seeks comment on a
recommendation to allocate up to 20 MHz of currently occupied UHF band
space for use by wireless medical devices. These are tiny appliances could
be implanted into the human body and used to restore sensation and mobility
to paralysed limbs and organs.

Twenty MHz of spectrum in four band segments are proposed so that the
device would have multiple options in case one band segment was already in
use in a given area. Its assumed this allocation would be on a
secondary, non-interfering use with current users of this band space. In
fact, comments are also being sought on the potential for interference
between these new devices and current spectrum users. Amateur radio and

amateur satellites have heavily used allocations in the 420 to 450 MHz band.

The text of the FCC news release can be found at
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-289482A1.doc or
http://tinyurl.com/ct8ntw )

NEWS FROM ARNEWSLINE

HAM RADIO HELPS IN TEXAS ROBBERY ARRESTS

Two men have been arrested in Texas and charged with robbery. This, as a
result of the combined efforts of an observant victim, a ham radio operator
and state and county law enforcement officers.

According to news reports, the pair were charged with robbery after punching a
woman in the mouth while in the process of burglarizing a campsite. The two
made off with about $800 in fishing gear.

Figuring that the robbers might return to the lake in search of more victims,
authorities circulated information on the suspects. An unnamed ham radio
operator reportedly saw a suspicious vehicle and gave police its license
number. A Game Warden found the vehicle parked in front of a residence near
the lake and held its occupants until police arrived to take the suspects
into custody.

WEIRD N WONDERFUL

Under no circumstances should convex style shaving mirrors be left in a
position that allows them to reflect sunrays.

Down this way, Barry VK2BZ, learnt the lesson the hard way when he found
a scorched strip on his pillow. Investigation indicated that a shaving mirror
left unattended in the suns path had carried out the boy scout trick where
they use a magnifying glass to kindle a fire.

Luckily the sun moved across the sky and lost concentration before it could
ignite the pillow.

It would be difficult convincing the insurance people as to how the house
burnt down!

OPERATIONAL NEWS -

SPECIAL EVENTS AND ON AIR CONTEST COLUMN - D A T E L I N E 2009

APR 25 ZL/VK RTTY SPRINT (40M)

MAY 01 - 08 VK CQ REPEATER CONTEST (Westlake's Club)
MAY 09 - 10 ZL SANGSTER SHIELD 80M CW

JUN 6 - 8 WORKED ALL VK SHIRES LONG WEEKEND CONTEST
JUN 20 - 21 MUSEUMS WEEKEND PART a
JUN 27 - 28 MUSEUMS WEEKEND PART b

JUL 04 NZART MEMORIAL CONTEST 80M

AUG 15 - 16 WIA Remembrance Day Contest
AUG 15 - 16 ILLW

Running till Dec 31 2009 is the 4th CQ DX Marathon

SUMMERLAND
Their club is planning their 50th Anniversary Celebrations, 8-9 August and
includes Special callsign VI2SRC50 being sought for August to cover this
major anniversary and the Lighthouse Weekend.

Fessenden Radio Day

To celebrate the achievements of Reginald A. Fessenden a day in his
honour, 14 June, will be marked by amateur radio station VE2FRV (Fessenden
Voice Radio).

Canadian born Reginald Aubrey Fessenden was a genius, mathematician and
pioneer of voice radio credited with the first broadcast in 1906.

VE2FRV will be operating from the Brome County Historical Society Museum
in Knowlton Quebec, QRV 21.250, 14.175 on phone and 25 kHz up from the
band edge on CW.

(Jim Linton VK3PC)

CELEBRATING THE EUROPEAN GEO PARKS

And from the UK, listen out on Saturday, May 23rd and Sunday, May 24th for
Martin Foster, G3GOF, and six other radio amateurs. This, as they put the
special call GB6GEO on the air again this year during the European Geo Parks
Communication Event.

The group will take to the ham radio airwaves from the Cavern in Torquay which
right in the heart of the English Riviera Global Geopark. But they will not
be the only ones involved in the event. If you live in France, Spain, Italy,
Austria, Romania, Czech Republic, Norway, Brazil, or China and are interested
in participating in this event, you can obtain the special "GEO" suffix.

To do so, please contact G3VOF as soon as possible via e-mail to
martin@riviera@fm

www.qrz.com/callsign/GB6GEO

CONTEST STORIES

BEACON DX AND NET ADVICE
hf nets ON the net, www.timroberts-vk4yeh.id.au/

GB 40 WAB 40th anniversary of the WAB Till Dec 31

HG 160 FNY Commemorates 1848 attack on Hungary
that prompted their independence. until July 31

International Museums Weekend(s) 20 and 21 plus 27 and June 28

OZ 1658 ROS 350th anniversary of the Treaty of Roskilde Till Dec 31

VARIOUS SM STATIONS USING 1658 (Treaty of Roskilde) Till Dec 31

CANADA, VE. In celebration of the 50 years since the opening of the
St. Lawrence Seaway, Canadian amateurs can use special callsign
prefixes XL, XM, XN, and XO until May 31

VP 9 400 /home call 400th Anniversary of Bermuda Till Dec 31

WIRELESS WEATHER

Kevin VE3EN in Ontario, Canada, runs a web site about the current solar cycle
at solarcycle24.com He presents formal reports and a bit of humour too
(as if any amateur could laugh about anything as serious as sunspots!).

Promoted as "All of your Solar and Aurora needs in one place", the front page
is a comprehensive collection of real time data and solar images together with
the usual radio propagation indicators. The information is gathered from a
wide range of sources and saves you the trouble of surfing the web to find all
the data yourself.

The information updates every two minutes.

And the answer to the question everyone's asking?

Well, if we haven't reached the bottom of the solar cycle yet, then it must
surely occur in the next month or two and start to rise sharply thereafter,
with predications of a peak around 2013.

Many thanks to Peter VK3DU for suggesting this site to nerg news and nerg
for sending it to

THE QNEWS WORK BENCH - the nuts and volts report -
(Measure twice - Cut once!)

New atomic clock claims title of world's most accurate

Donald Melanson on the Engadget website reports on what is claimed to be the
worlds most accurate clock.

You may have thought that the previous world's most accurate clock was good
at keeping time, but it's apparently nothing compared to this new strontium
atomic clock developed by scientists at the University of Colorado, which is
supposedly more than twice as accurate and just as atomic.

To achieve that impressive feat, the scientists made use of the same so-called
"pendulum effect" of atoms as before, but took things one step further by
holding the atoms in a laser beam and freezing them to almost -273 degrees
Celsius, or the temperature at which all matter stops resonating.

In clock terms, that translates to about one second lost every 300 million
years. Of course, that's still one second too many for the researchers, and
they say they "dream of getting an atomic clock with perfect precision."

You just know you never want to be late for a meeting with these guys.

http://www.engadget.com

(Sourced from the vk7wia news and Engadget Website)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- ATV (Every pixel tells a story)

North West Tasmania Amateur Television Group

Propagation testing for proposed ATV Repeater.

http://www2.vk7ax.id.au/atvgroup

Testing will be undertaken during coming weeks to establish possible paths
for ATV signals from the Club's repeater site at Gawler to individual
amateur's QTHs.

The bands used for these tests will be 70cm, 23cm and 13cm.

Club members wishing to be included in these tests should advise the Club
Secretary, ensuring you will not be left out.

Note it will not be necessary for those interested, to have any ATV equipment
for the testing, this being provided by those performing the tests.

The idea is to establish a list of potential paths to individual QTH's.

Again, members interested in these tests, please advise the Secretary
Steve VK7EQ or Tony VK7AX.

People interested in general information about The North West Tasmania Amateur
Television Group, are invited to visit the Club's WIA web Page under VK7 Clubs

http://www.wia.org/clubs/vk7/NorthWe...elevisionGroup

73's until next time

(Tony VK7AX, President & News Officer NWT-ATV Group)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- FINAL FRONTIER

AMSAT-VK UNOFFICIAL HF Net.
2nd Sunday each month.
November through March 0900 UTC 7.068 MHz
April through October 1000 UTC 3.685 MHz

In a gesture of support for KiwiSAT the Auckland VHF Group (NZART Branch 66)
have donated cash for the purchase of the special Aluminium blocks from
which the very structure of KiwiSAT will be milled. For maximum stability,
light weight and overall integrity, the frame of the satellite will be milled
from solid blocks of Aluminium.

Over the next few weeks KiwiSAT will finally start to take shape. There is
much work to be done but we now making "solid" progress.

Mike Jack of Stanier Engineering, a small specialist precision engineering
company based in Auckland, is now milling the main frame from those solid
blocks. The first tray is to hand and looking great. Strength and precision
are two major factors as this first plate, the foundation stone for the final
structure, will carry the whole load at launch.

Many more details and video of the milling process are available on the
KiwiSat web site and the address can be found on the email and internet
editions of this broadcast.

http://kiwisat.org/index.html

(Sourced from the AMSAT Mailing List)

SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- ROAR
ROTARIANS OF AMATEUR RADIO

VK2IWT Secretary

Guglielmo Marconi inventor of the wireless, it is said, was an
active member of the Rotary Club of Bologna, Italy.

ITALY, I. Adriano, IT9CCB will be QRV as IO9ROTA from April 19 to
May 19 in celebration of the 141st birthday of Paul Harris, the
founder of the Rotary International. Activity will be on 40,
20 and 15 meters. QSL via operator's instructions.

(Ganesh VU2TS)

SOCIAL SCENE

2009

International Telecommunication Union's Telecom World 2009.

May 1-3 vk3
WIA AGM Churchill Victoria

May 9 vk3
Moorabbin and District Radio Club Hamfest 10AM Brentwood Secondary College,
Watsons Road Glen Waverley, Melways reference 71 D7, enter via Heath street.

May 9 VK4
BARCFEST (the Brisbane HamFest) 9:30am Mt Gravatt Showground.

May 18 WW
World Telecom Day

June 5 - 8 VK4
FNNQARG at Cardwell Village Beachcomber Resort book on 1800 005633
Contact FNNQARG co-ordinator Gavin VK4ZZ for site booking guidance.

June 6-7
South East Radio Group Convention
Margret Street Scout Hall in Mount Gambier behind the Police Station.

July 11 - 12 VK3
GippsTech 2009, the technical conference with a VHF, UHF & microwave focus.

July 18 VK3
Gippsland Gate Radio & Electronics Club Hamfest 10.00 am
Cranbourne Public Hall

August 2 vk6
Northern Corridor Radio Group's WA Hamfest. Cyril Jackson Rec Centre
Fisher st Ashfield, WA email

SEP 13
Adelaide Hills Amateur Radio Society Hamfest 9:30am.
Goodwood Community Centre, Rosa St Goodwood.

OCT 12 - 16 ZL
14th IARU R3 Conference Christchurch 12 ? 16 October 2009.
Details at
www.christchurch.org.nz/
The Region 3 Web Site: www.jarl.or.jp/iaru-r3/

JAN 24 VK2
Mid North Coast Amateur Radio Group's Radio Expo 2010 8.30am St Johns Church
Hall, Mc Lean Street Coffs Harbour.
(The largest Amateur Radio Event on the Mid North Coast of NSW. 20 plus
exhibitors, Trade tables, Major brands, Home brew, Historic radio display,
ATV display, WIA, ALARA, WICEN, Volunteer Coastal Patrol, Club Displays,
WIA Book Sales, Disposals tables, Lucky door prizes on the hour, Hot and cold
food, Free tea, coffee. Fee Parking, Disable access, Clean amenities,
www.mncarg.org on rain, hail or shine )

Please think of the environment before printing this email

================================================== =======================WIANews - we've reported...YOU decide.

Societies and Club News Letter Editors can EXCHANGE a feed prior to
the actual broadcast date, e-mail

Call-backs follow the RF editions, but also for text readers you may
lodge a quick reply to let us know you read it, who knows, you might
even get a "cheerio call".

Thanks to to our dedicated band of broadcast volunteers who utilize
their time and equipment in bringing you this weekly broadcast.

The purpose of "WIANews" is to rapidly provide news of interest to
active amateurs residing in Australia and the globe.

We strongly encourage membership in the Wireless Institute of Australia
and participation in the activities of local clubs.

Opinions expressed in "WIANews" are those of the writers who submit
material and do not necessarily reflect those of the rebroadcasters,
nor the National WIA, but are broadcast in the spirit in which they were
submitted.

Material may be reproduced in whole or in part, in any form, a credit to
WIANews wouldn't go astray...

Compiled by VK4BB on behalf of the National WIA.