Old November 22nd 12, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.info

Default QRZ Forums - Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events for Thursday 22 November 2012

QRZ Forums - Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events

Suggestion for all of you CW contesters ... a way to get a few more
contacts . . . .

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...s&goto=newpost

SLOW DOWN A LITTLE !!!

I was seriously thinking of trying my hand at the ARRL CW sweepestakes a
few weeks ago but after listening for a bit I said to heck with it. I can
copy a pretty reliable 15 wpm but I was pretty intimidated by the speeds
that most guys were sending at Maybe with a CW decoder and computer
sending you can actually copy it but I usually could not even get the call
signs most of the time.

I bet I am not alone in feeling this way and with the recent popularity of
CW coming back, I think there are a lot of guys who are new to CW who might
have participated if they could actually copy it

I bet it would not reduce the number of QSO's a single bit if you slowed
down to about 15 wpm, would probably get you more. I know that I would have
spent a few hours on the air if I had felt comfortable with the speeds.

Just a thought,

Santa Net December 1

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...1&goto=newpost

The Orange County Amateur Radio Club (NY) will be holding its 3rd annual
Santa Net on Saturday, December 1, from 2030 UTC to 2230 UTC on 3920 and
7200 (+/-10 kHz), locally on simplex on 147.550. Santa Net is held at
Adams Fairacre Farms on Route 300 in Newburgh, NY. OCARC Members in
appropriate holiday attire wander the store with HT's looking for kids who
want to talk to Santa, who makes a special stop in Newburgh to be with the
members of OCARC. Santa also talks to kids all over on the HF bands. All
kids talking to Santa will receive a QSL card. For those on HF, it will be
sent to the call sign of the person controlling the radio. If in the store
(where Santa will only be talking to kids on the radio), they will be given
a QSL card on the spot, along with some goodies supplied by Adams. The QSL
cards will be mailed immediately after the event so they arrive in time for
Christmas.

If there are 5 kids at a given location, Santa will send out a QSL card for
each kid.

Contact w2trr at OCARC-NY dot ORG for information.