Old December 13th 15, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.space,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.info

Default [AMSAT-UK] Helen Sharman and Amateur Radio

AMSAT-UK

Helen Sharman and Amateur Radio

http://amsat-uk.org/2015/12/13/helen...amateur-radio/

Helen Sharman GB1MIR

The UKs first astronaut Helen Sharman was asked about Amateur Radio on the
BBC Radio 4 show Saturday Live broadcast December 12.

When asked by a listener, Brian, whether she still uses her amateur radio
licence, she said:

“My amateur radio license was given to me very specially. I didn’t pass the
tests in order to get it and I was only allowed to use it while I was in
space, but I made friends all over the world. You can’t talk to a lot of
people in Europe because there’s so many people trying to communicate with
the space station but in parts of the world we’re it’s less populated, for
instance in Australia, the astronauts do make friends that they’ve only
ever met through the radio… it’s lovely.”

Read the full Essex Ham story and listen to the show at

http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/helen...-in-space.html

Read about Helen Sharmans amateur radio operation from the Mir Space
Station at

http://amsat-uk.org/about/history/fi...harman-gb1mir/

AO-85 Slow Scan TV

http://amsat-uk.org/2015/12/13/ao-85-slow-scan-tv/

Fox-1A / AO-85 SSTV image received by Roland PY4ZBZ

On Sunday, December 13, Roland Zurmely PY4ZBZ received a Slow Scan TV
(SSTV) image from the amateur radio CubeSat Fox-1A / AO-85.

Roland says he was not prepared and the antenna was misguided but even so
he managed to receive a recognizable image.

AO-85 was launched October 8, 2015 and transmits 5 kHz deviation FM on
around 145.980/.975 MHz.

In the UK amateur radio transceivers are set to default to narrow FM
filters (2.5 kHz deviation). If possible you should select your radios
wider FM filter designed for 25 kHz channel spacing.

AO-85 information
http://amsat-uk.org/satellites/commu.../ao-85-fox-1a/

Hints on how to receive Slow Scan TV from space are at

http://amsat-uk.org/beginners/iss-sstv/

Roland PZ4ZBZ
http://www.qsl.net/py4zbz/fox.htmhtt...py4zbz/fox.htm