Old February 29th 16, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Monday 29 February 2016

eHam.net News

Hamfest Brings Amateur Radio Enthusiasts from Across Country to Dalton:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36262

John Sanders says he can't remember a time when amateur radio wasn't part
of his life. "My dad was a TV repairman and just loved electronics," said
the Cleveland, Tenn., resident. "When I was a child back in the 1970s, he'd
come home from work and after dinner get on his radio. I'd watch him when I
was little, then as I got older, he started teaching me and letting me take
part in it." Sanders was one of some 1,200 amateur radio enthusiasts from
around the Southeast who gathered at the North Georgia Fairgrounds in
Dalton on Saturday for the annual Dalton Hamfest, sponsored by the Dalton
Amateur Radio Club. Rial Sloan, president of the club, says Hamfest is an
annual event dating back well over 20 years. "We've got people from
Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, all across the Southeast," he said. "Ham"
radio operators and vendors were buying, selling, trading and displaying
amateur radio equipment and other electronics. Many of the dealers brought
some of the newest radio equipment available for enthusiasts to look at and
buy.

Ham Radio Survives Internet Onslaught:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36261

In the presence of advanced and highly connected text messengers, tweets
and Facebook posts, the century-old social media ham (amateur) radio is
still alive and kicking in the IT capital of India.
Drawing a world of their own, the Indian Institute of hams has brought
together thousands of amateur radio operators in the City, to build
friendships, to explore the platform and to participate in disaster
management. Bengaluru, the ham Capital of India, has about 5,000 amateur
radio operators, with 1,200 enthusiasts taking to the platform in the last
five years. There are about 400 active users in the City and about 300
people apply for licences each year, says S Sathyapal, director of Indian
Institute of hams. "We have a good response despite the huge penetration of
social media. The amateur radio, a scientific hobby, is an adventure sport.
And when all communication tools including cellular network fail, ham radio
works. It has become a unique tool in promoting global friendship," he
said, adding that the ham family consists of students, educationists,
scientists, engineers, doctors and people from various walks of life.

Ham College 14 is Released:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36260

In this episode we cover propagation and related questions on the
Technician exam.