Old May 30th 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Monday 30 May 2016

eHam.net News

Disaster mgmt Body Gears for Emergencies, Starts Reviving Ham Radio System

http://www.eham.net/articles/36861

Panvel: The disaster management authority's Ham radio system is being
revived in Panvel, following an order from the Raigad collector to all
tehsildars. Earlier a Panvel club named, Hobby Club, had a rescue team with
the Ham radio system. They had been in touch with tehsil offices in Panvel,
Uran and Alibaug. The facility was stopped in 2006 following lack of
participation by the authorities. The Panvel tehsildar held a meeting on
Thursday to explain how Ham radio helps during emergencies. "Ham radio is
an emergency communication system when mobile and other communication
networks are out of order. In 2005, we obtained a licence from the central
government and started functioning in Panvel, Uran and Alibaug. During the
Mantralaya fire one of our teams was there and the other in the Thane
collectorate coordinating for water tenders," said Hobby Club member Suresh
Risbud.

Frequency: A New TV Show Recalls a Forgotten Classic:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36860

It remains to be seen if the upcoming Fox series Frequency will deliver,
but the movie it's based on is underrated. While going over the trailers
for next season's TV shows, one particular new show caught my eye: Fox's
Frequency. It had nothing to do with any merits the show itself may have,
but because it's an adaptation of a 16-year-old movie that seems to be
completely forgotten these days. Which is a real shame, as I've always
thought it was criminally underrated, and if this show does nothing else,
at least it will probably stir up some interest in it again. Jim Caviezel
plays John Sullivan, who happens upon his father's ham radio and happens to
turn it on during a giant solar flare, which sends the signal back in time
30 years to Dennis Quaid as his father Frank, the day before he would be
killed in a fire. John gives Frank a piece of information that saves his
life, but of course things are never that simple with time travel, and they
have to fix the mess they created. The actual plot of the film is rather
tricky to discuss, as beyond the central ham radio hook there are so many
twists and turns that it's just about impossible to avoid spoilers. And
since I'm hoping to encourage more people to check the movie out here, I'll
have to be as vague as possible. But the biggest thing to get across is
that the core of the film is the father-son bond, largely held together by
a montage of them simply talking about regular stuff in the middle of the
madness. This alone could have made a fine film, and that there's so much
else to admire is quite a bonus.