Old June 6th 16, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Monday 6 June 2016

RadioInsight

Scripps Acquires Stitcher

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ires-stitcher/

EW Scripps continues its expansion in the Podcasting realm with the
purchase of the Stitcher Radio app from Deezer for $4.5 million.

Stitcher will become part of Scripps Midroll subsidiary that includes the
eponymous Midroll podcast advertising network, the Earwolf podcast network
and the Howl premium subscription podcast service. The France based Deezer
had acquired Stitcher in October 2014 to integrate into its streaming music
platform. All of Stitchers employees will join Scripps.

INSTANT INSIGHT: The deal gives Midroll a distribution platform to pair
with its production and ad sales units. As Midroll Vice President of
Business Development Erik Diehn told the Wall Street Journal, For the first
time we’ll have significantly more ability to help with podcast discovery,
to help with distribution, to help shows grow, and to help find out what
audiences want in a way that we could not do before.

The E.W. Scripps Company has acquired popular podcast listening service
Stitcher, which facilitates discovery and streaming for more than 65,000
podcasts to 8 million registered users.

Stitcher is one of the most established and popular streaming audio
listening brands. It is accessible via free iPhone and Android apps, on the
dashboard of more than 50 car models and at stitcher.com.

Stitcher will operate as part of Midroll Media, a leader in the podcast
industry that was acquired by Scripps in July 2015. The Stitcher
acquisition significantly broadens Midrolls consumer base and technology
capabilities.

The Stitcher brand is recognized to be an early mover and innovator in
on-demand audio, especially with connected cars, said Adam Symson, chief
digital officer for Scripps. Stitchers data-driven technology has made it a
leader in podcast discovery and audio distribution, which will complement
Midrolls leadership in content creation and advertising sales.

Stitchers backend technology and user experience tackle one of podcast
listenings biggest challenges: new content discovery.

At Midroll, weve always been impressed with Stitchers incredible reach and
pioneering work in the audio landscape, said Erik Diehn, vice president of
business development for Midroll. Together, we can accelerate the podcast
industrys growth and further our combined mission to connect ever larger
audiences with even more great shows.

Stitcher was founded in 2008 and purchased in 2014 by French music
streaming service Deezer. Its team of 12 will join Midroll and operate out
of San Francisco. Stitchers General Manager and Vice President of Product
Todd Pringle will lead all of Midrolls product development and will have
continued responsibility for the Stitcher product development team.
Stitchers sales and editorial staff will join their Midroll colleagues in
their respective disciplines.

Scripps and Deezer agreed to a $4.5 million cash purchase price.

Combining Midrolls leadership in great audio storytelling and advertising
with Stitchers expertise in product development and technology will
accelerate the growth of both companies, said Pringle.

Larry Gifford: Our Multi-Platform World

https://larrygifford.wordpress.com/2...latform-world/

AdWeek: ComScore Says People Prefer Ads in Podcasts Over Any Other Digital
Medium

http://www.adweek.com/news/technolog...-medium-171804

Dick Taylor: Radios Go High-Definition

https://dicktaylorblog.com/2016/06/0...gh-definition/

KOSF San Francisco To Become "iHeart 80s Radio"

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...art-80s-radio/

iHeartMedia is bringing its digital iHeart 80s Radio to San Francisco.

Classic Hits Big 103.7 KOSF will relaunch as iHeart 80s 103.7 at 12pm
today. Former MTV VJ Martha Quinn will host mornings on the station
starting on Tuesday, June 14 following eight days of commercial-free music.
iHeart recently launched an All 80s format in Albuquerque, but KOSF will be
the first full powered station to include the iHeart name in its branding
as the company continue to blur the lines betweBeen its streaming
properties and radio stations.

The move will leave the San Francisco market without a traditional Classic
Hits station although recently launched sister 98.1 The Breeze KISQ shared
some musical overlap with KOSF. The Big 103.7 format ranked 14th in the
market with a 2.4 share in the April Nielsen Audio PPM monthlies.

The first hour of iHeart80s 103.7 featured:

Starship We Built This City

Duran Duran Rio

Madonna Holiday

Billy Idol White Wedding

Wang Chung Everybody Have Fun Tonight

Cyndi Lauper Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Thomas Dolby She Blinded Me With Science

Michael Jackson Beat It

Joan Jett I Love Rock-n-Roll

Glenn Frey The Heat Is One

Katrina The Waves Walking On Sunshine

The Cars Shake It Up

Paula Abdul Straight Up

Bananarama Cruel Summer

Rick Springfield Jessies Girl

iHeartMedia, the leading media company in America with a greater reach than
any other radio or television outlet, today announced the launch of
iHeart80s in San Francisco. The all new ‘80s dedicated station will feature
music from the most beloved icons of the decade including Madonna, Michael
Jackson, Duran Duran and more.

iHeart80s is a broadcast extension of the popular iHeart80s Radio station
on iHeartRadio, the all-in-one streaming music and live digital radio
service. iHeart80s will kick off June 6 at noon on 103.7 KOSF FM in San
Francisco with eight days of commercial-free programming. Martha Quinn,
the iconic MTV personality, will host weekday mornings from 6-10 a.m. PT.

“I love everything about music from the ‘80s, and I’m psyched to relive the
excitement of my favorite decade every morning with San Francisco’s ‘80s
fans of all ages,” said Quinn. “This influential decade obviously holds a
very special place in my heart, and every day I hear from people who remind
me that I’m not the only one. Hosting the first iHeart80s Party earlier
this year was a total blast, I knew I had to be involved with the launch of
this trailblazing new station. Every day will be a boombox of awesome.”

iHeart80s began as an iHeartRadio original digital-only station that gained
instant popularity as one of the most listened-to stations on the
platform. The 80s ranks as one of the most important American decades in
terms of influencing todays pop culture, and Millennials, 44 million of
whom were born in the 80s, are increasingly rediscovering the decade. In
February, iHeartMedia held its first-ever iHeart80s Party, hosted by Quinn,
which celebrated the unforgettable decade with performances by ‘80s
superstars Tears For Fears, Culture Club, Billy Idol, Missing Persons, Rick
Springfield, Loverboy and more.

Following the major success of our iHeart80s Party, which sold out in
minutes, we can certainly confirm that the ‘80s are having a moment, and
iHeartRadio is celebrating the success of its resurgence, said Don Parker,
SVP/Programming, San Francisco Region for iHeartMedia. “iHeartRadio has an
unparalleled ability to connect with its audience through a variety of
great music and top-billed live events like the iHeart80s Party. When we
were discussing creating the first iHeart80s-branded FM station, we knew
that San Francisco would be the perfect place for it to launch, and that
Martha Quinn was the only person we wanted to launch it with.”

“We’re thrilled to be the first station in the U.S. to give listeners a
24/7 celebration of such an iconic decade as the ‘80s,” said Katie Wilcox,
Market President for iHeartMedia San Francisco. As the popularity of the
music of the 80s increases, the introduction of iHeart80s here in San
Francisco shows our commitment to our listeners as well as to music
variety. iHeart80s is undoubtedly going to be a popular addition to our
line-up of exceptional stations.

iHeartMedia is a leading media outlet in the San Francisco market. Its
radio brands and content are available across multiple platforms, including
its broadcast stations; online via its branded digital sites; mobile; and
social, with nationwide listening through iHeartRadio, the all-in-one
streaming music and live radio service – with its more than a billion
downloads, 85 million registered users and more than 85 million social
media followers across the Network.

WHGM Adds Smash Hits

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ds-smash-hits/

CRS Radio Holdings Variety Hits 104.7 The Point 1330 WHGM/104.7 W284BE
Havre de Grace MD relaunched this morning as Smash Hits WHGM

The station also debuted a new morning show hosted by Justin Mallow. Mallow
joins WHGM from mornings at Pamal Broadcasting CHR 107.1 The Point WKBE
Glens Falls NY.

The Smash Hits brand and format comes from Jason Kidds New Generation
Media. The 1980s centric format stretches from the 1970s to also include
some recurrents. WHGM joins stations in Rapid City SD and Ruston LA
utilizing the brand.