Old June 7th 16, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Tuesday 7 June 2016

eHam.net News

13 Colonies Special Event:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36919

Join us for the 8th annual 13 Colonies Special Event. Starting July 1st,
Fri. at 13:00 UTC (9 AM Eastern) and ending midnight July 6th Wed. (0400
UTC July 7th). We have more Operators, and our two "Bonus" stations, WM3PEN
(Phil.PA.) and GB13COL (Durham,England)will be with us again! A contact
with WM3PEN will net you a Liberty Bell endorsement on your certificate,
and for GB13COL, an English Standard (Flag).

Tonight on Amateur Radio Roundtable:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36918

This week (June 7) on Amateur Radio
Roundtable, co-host Frank Howell, K4FMH,
and Hambot will join us.

MW/LW Outreach / Demo at Field Day 2016:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36917

Several amateurs with Part 5 experimental licenses in addition to a few
Part-15 operators will be transmitting Field Day greetings on medium wave
and long wave throughout the ARRL's Field Day, June 25 and 26.

Ham Radio Operators Could Be Superheroes When the Earthquake Hits:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36916

When the big one hits the Puget Sound region, one of the best technologies
to rely on for communication may NOT be cell phones or computers. It could
be radio. Amateur radio. The City of Seattle has roughly 3,000 people with
amateur, or ham radio licenses. And each week a few dedicated ham radio
enthusiasts who volunteer for the city practice their protocol. On a recent
Monday night downtown, volunteer members of Seattle's Auxiliary
Communications Services checked in. Kathy Shuman (ham handle "Kilo Foxtrot
Seven Tango Tango Mike") has been in amateur radio for about four years. On
a recent evening, she led the weekly practice. Shuman sat at a desk
clutching a radio handset, talking to ham radio operators around the region
on a special emergency frequency. "There's a script we have to follow,"
Shuman says. "I introduce the session, then invite our members to check-in
in small groups." Meeting every week by radio keeps communication skills
sharp. It also lets them know who is out there, where they're based and
puts a voice to the ham handle.

Souris Ham Radio Operators Make Contacts Around the World:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36915

The event also served as practice for radio operators, who can provide
emergency communication in power outage: Amateur radio enthusiasts on
P.E.I. got quite the thrill this weekend, making more than 100 contacts
from around the world -- spanning as far as Australia. The group set up
what is known as a "lighthouse activation" at the lighthouse in Souris,
P.E.I. Organizer George Dewar made a portable antenna from 52 feet of
copper wire, which was suspending from a flagpole to the top of the
lighthouse. Dewar said this was the most successful of the four activations
the group has done so far, with contacts made in the U.S., Croatia,
Germany, France and England as well as Melbourne, Australia.

What You Should Know About Cascadia Rising:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36914

The Cascadia Rising exercise is one week away. The largest earthquake and
tsunami exercise to ever take place along the West Coast of the U.S. will
begin on Tuesday, June 7, 2016. It will simulate a complete rupture of the
Cascadia Subduction Zone Earthquake Fault which is situated 100-150 miles
to the West of the Coastline in the Pacific Ocean. The fault extends 620
miles from Cape Mendocino, California to Northern Vancouver Island, B.C.
The exercise earthquake will be a magnitude 9.0 and will be followed by
aftershocks causing major damage to homes, communities, industry, roads and
utilities throughout Western Washington. The resulting tsunami (multiple
waves) will seriously impact all coastal areas. The event will kick off on
the morning of Tuesday, June 7th, 2016 and reflect the first four (4) full
days following a real Cascadia Earthquake and Tsunami event, ending Friday,
June 10th. Various entities of Grays Harbor County will be participating
throughout the exercise, including our hospitals, the Port of Grays Harbor,
the PUD, E911, all cities, many fire districts and a large contingent of
amateur radio operators. Most individuals in our communities will not
notice this exercise is taking place.

A San Francisco Building Sends Out Coded Messages About Displacement:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36913

San Francisco might be driving out normal folks with its median rent, but
with a new public artwork they're getting a chance to talk back. Gaze up at
the windows of downtown's Civic Center and you'll see mysterious, flashing
lights -- Morse-Code messages from people who've actually been displaced
from the city. The installation, called Wish You Could Have Seen This, was
conceived by local multimedia whiz Ma Li, who sourced the quotes from one
of the populations typically among the first to be priced-out -- artists.
At night, the coded messages disappear and are replaced by images of art
created by displaced artists, forming a gone-but-not-forgotten tribute to a
fractured community.