Old August 10th 16, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Wednesday 10 August 2016

RadioInsight

Charlie Morgan Named SVP/Market Manager Emmis New York

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...mmis-new-york/

Emmis has named Charlie Morgan as Senior Vice President/Market Manager.

Morgan has been serving in that role on an interim basis since the exit of
Deon Levingston in January in addition to his duties in Indianapolis.
Former Radio-One Indianapolis GM Chuck Williams was hired on Tuesday for
those same duties for Emmis. This completes a three way position swap for
them.

Charlie Morgan has been named Senior Vice President/Market Manager of
Emmis-New York, which includes Hot97, WBLS and WLIB. Morgan has been
serving as Interim Emmis-New York Market Manager since January 2016.

“Charlie is one of radio’s truly gifted leaders,” said Patrick Walsh, Emmis
President and Chief Operating Officer. “His inspirational leadership has
been a catalyst in improving our results in Indianapolis and his deft
skills are already having an impact in New York. I’m thrilled he’s decided
to focus this next exciting stage of his career on ensuring Hot97, WBLS and
WLIB continue to play an important role in the lives of listeners in the
tri-state area and these brands deliver on their enormous potential.”

A Butler University graduate, Morgan has more than 35 years of experience
in the radio industry, including VP/Market Manager at Susquehanna (now
Cumulus) Radio, which includes WFMS/WJJK/WISG. In 2007, Morgan joined the
team at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway, serving as President and
Chief Operating Officer of Indianapolis Motor Speedway Productions. In
2009, he was lured back to radio and joined the Emmis team as SVP/Market
Manager of Emmis-Indianapolis, where he served until he was named Interim
Market Manager in New York earlier this year. At Emmis-Indianapolis, Morgan
was responsible for leading a turnaround effort that resulted in Emmis
becoming the market leader. Morgan will remain connected to the
Indianapolis Market as new Emmis Indianapolis Market Manager Chuck Williams
will report to Morgan.

Morgan serves as chairman of the board of Country Radio Seminar, vice
chairman, Classical Music Indy, and sits on the Boards of Heartland Film
Festival, Indiana Repertory Theatre, and Woman’s Fund. He is a member of
the Country Music Association Board of Directors and serves as First Vice
Chair/Radio for the Indiana Broadcaster’s Association. He is the Past
Chairman of the Indianapolis 500 Festival. Morgan has won numerous awards
in his career including the Country Music Association Air Personality of
the Year, Radio Inks Ten Best Managers in Radio, and Radio Wayne Market
Manager of the Year in 2010.

“When a 35+ year radio veteran can honestly call his most recent seven
years the most fun and most rewarding of his career, you know you are
talking to one very fortunate man,” Morgan said. “That statement is true
for me thanks to the company and the culture that Jeff Smulyan, Rick
Cummings and Pat Walsh have built and nourished at Emmis. Add to that the
all-star team of talent I’ve worked with in Indianapolis and you begin to
understand my good fortune. But for the past seven months I’ve had the
rare privilege of working with the talented team at Emmis New York. WBLS,
Hot 97 and WLIB are legendary brands in the most vibrant city in America
and I have fallen in love with the people, the passion and the opportunity
to build on the legacy in New York.

Robby Bridges Promoted To Cumulus Detroit Director of FM Programming

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...m-programming/

Cumulus Media has promoted Robby Bridges to Durector of FM Programming for
its Detroit cluster.

Bridges, currently PD/Afternoon host of Country 93.1 Nash-FM WDRQ will also
assume programming duties for sister Hot AC 96.3 WDVD. He fills the
position created by Lori Bennetts exit last month.

Cumulus Media announces that it has promoted Robby Bridges to Director of
FM Programming for its Detroit stations, Hot AC WDVD, Country WDRQ (NASH FM
93.1), and Classic Country (NASH ICON 93.1 HD2). He will also continue to
anchor PM drive on WDVD.

Bridges came to Detroit in early 2014 to launch WDRQs NASH Country format
as Program Director. Prior to that, he programmed Cumulus stations WEBE and
WFAS, and was Assistant Program Director for WPLJ. He also programmed for
the companys Westwood One division. Bridges previously served in various
programming and on-air positions in New York, Boston, Providence and
Philadelphia.

Mike Wheeler, Operations Manager, Cumulus Media-Detroit, said: “Robby’s
energy and smarts make him the perfect programmer to lead the FM
team.*Strategic thinking, speed to action, brilliant communication…. he’s
the whole package and I am lucky to have such a strong partner in Detroit.”

*

Bridges said: It is humbling, gratifying and exciting to be given the
opportunity to continue to grow these outstanding brands in the Motor City!
These are some of the most legendary call letters and talent not only in
Detroit, but in the nation. To sign on for a journey to lead them will take
me into both my second decade with Cumulus and 25th year in the radio
industry, which is the icing on the cake. Thank you to our dynamic
corporate leaders, Mary Berner, Mike McVay, Bob Walker and Doug Hamand, for
their support; and of course, my friend, mentor and OM Mike Wheeler. I am
thrilled I get to keep working with him and our incredibly talented Detroit
team!

Lightning Strike Displaces 97X Panama City To 100.1

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...city-to-100-1/

After a lightning strike last week took Magic Broadcasting Rock 97X 97.7
WYYX Bonifay/Panama City FL off the air, the stations format has been
temporarily moved to 100.1 WVVE Panama City Beach.

The move displaces the programming of Rhythmic Oldies Groove 100.1, which
is currently being made available online. In the STA filing with the FCC,
WYYX states that the tower experienced lightning damage on July 31 and

does not expect to resume operations within 30 days.

The Class C3 signal of WVVE covers much less terrain than WYYX, but does
reach Panama City itself.

Michael Savage Extends Westwood One Deal

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...wood-one-deal/

Michael Savage has renewed his contract with Westwood One to keep his
program in syndication.

Savage joined WW1 from Talk Radio Network in October 2012. As part of the
new deal he will launch new premium content for paid subscribers in January
2017. No terms were announced.

Westwood One today announced that it has renewed its long-term relationship
with Radio Hall of Famer Michael Savage and his popular radio show The
Savage Nation®, which airs on 235 stations.

First aired in San Francisco in 1994, The Savage Nation® has become one of
the most listened-to shows over the past two decades. Evolving from
strictly political discussion to commentary on news, views, and reviews,
Savage has coupled his unique perspective with a dynamic storytelling
ability, forming a listener base of millions. In an effort to meet the
demands of his passionate listeners, Savage will be introducing special
content for subscribers only in 2017. You can follow Michael Savage on
Facebook, on Twitter, and at michaelsavage.com.

Suzanne Grimes, Westwood One’s President and EVP, Corporate Marketing for
Cumulus, added, “We’re proud to extend our relationship with Dr. Savage. He
is top-notch, Hall of Fame talent with a unique voice in American radio. He
has some of the most engaged fans and is a proven, consistent ratings
generator. We look forward to many more years together.”

Dr. Savage said, “My deal with Westwood One caps my winning the National
Radio Hall of Fame nomination. My show is famous for my ‘news, views, and
reviews,’ and we will take it to new levels come January, 2017. We will be
doing a three-dimensional show – on broadcast stations, as a live stream,
and with special segments created only for subscribers.”

In addition to his hosting duties, Savage has authored more than 25 books,
including six New York Times bestsellers such as “Government Zero,” “Abuse
of Power,” and his newest book, “Scorched Earth,” which comes out in
September after Labor Day. He was awarded the coveted Freedom of Speech
Award by Talkers Magazine in 2007 and earned his Ph.D. from the University
of California at Berkeley.