Old October 5th 16, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Tuesday 4 October 2016

RadioInsight

Jonathon Brandmeier To End Syndicated Talker

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...icated-talker/

Jonathon Brandmeier announced today that his Westwood One syndicated talk
show will end when his contract expires in early 2017.

Brandmeier states that Westwood One has decided not to renew his contract
and he completely agrees with that decision. The show debuted in March 2015
as a replacement for Dennis Miller. Brandmeier is based at Cumulus
News/Talk 890 WLS Chicago, which airs the first two hours of the three hour
show live from 9-11am central.

The longtime Chicago and Phoenix personality made the announcement on his
blog:

I always say we’re not here for a long time – we’re here for a good time!
And now you know why…

Our syndicated radio deal with Westwood One officially ends in early 2017.
They decided not to renew and I completely agree with that decision. I
truly believe this is the best move for all involved. It was only a matter
of time, and there are no hard feelings.

When I was offered this shot at attempting to “change talk radio”, I
couldn’t resist. However, I quickly realized talk radio is not ready to be
“unhinged”.

Still, I don’t regret the risk. I met some good people at Westwood One, we
picked up new listeners from across this great nation of Murica, and I
realized what has always driven me in this business was missing: the spirit
of JUST HAVIN’ FUN. It’s time for me to get back to that.

We plan to honor our agreement and continue on the air until it’s
officially over – or until they literally pull the plug.

I have no idea what the future holds, but I’m as pumped as ever to create
content for the people of earth.

Please do not tell my radio pals Buzz, Gino or Hectorrrrrr…. they will be
scared.

I’m Jonathon Brandmeier and I approve this message.

#MakeRadioFunAgain

Fagstein: The ridiculous assumption underlying iHeartRadio Canada

http://blog.fagstein.com/2016/10/03/...canada-launch/

KLOU PD Dave Adams Moves To Tucson as SVP/Programming

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...vpprogramming/

Dave Adams, Program Director for iHeartMedia Classic Hits 103.3 KLOU and
Christian AC Up 103.7 K279AQ/KLOU-HD2 St. Louis is transferring to Tucson
as Senior VP of Programming for the companys seven station cluster.

Adams will oversee programming for Hot AC My 92.9 KMIY, CHR 93.7 KRQ KRQQ,
Country 97.1 The Bull KYWD, Rhythmic CHR Hot 98.3 KOHT, News/Talk 790 KNST
and 1450 KTZR, and Tejano Tejano 1600 KXEW. Adams joined KLOU in January
2015 after four years programming Classic Hits Oldies 95.7 WRIT and CHR
97.3 Radio Now WRNW Milwaukee.

iHeartMedia announced today that Dave Adams has been named Senior Vice
President of Programming for the Tucson market, effective October 24. The
market cluster includes 93.7 KRQ, My 92.9, Hot 98.3, 97.1 The Bull, Tejano
1600, and news talk brands 790 KNST and the new 1450 KTZR.

Adams will work closely with program directors, on-air personalities and
sales to oversee on-air, digital and music programming for the radio
station brands and their local events. He will report to Carl Anderson,
Market President for iHeartMedia Tucson, and Paul Kelley, Area Senior Vice
President of Programming for the Arizona Region.

It will be my honor to lead the amazing team in Tucson, which is one of the
best in the industry, said Adams. I cant wait to build on the tremendous
success that theyve had to this point and continue to take the market to
new heights.

Adams recently served as the Brand Manager for KLOU/KLOU HD-2 for
iHeartMedia St. Louis. He also previously programmed iHeartMedias WRNW/WRIT
in Milwaukee.

We are excited to add another strong leader to iHeartMedia Tucson, said
Anderson. Dave brings with him a deep understanding of multi-platform brand
execution and strategic programming expertise.

Dave has a strong track record of identifying and developing talent, and
will be a tremendous asset said Paul Kelley, Area Senior Vice President of
Programming for the Arizona Region. He has the right experience and
demeanor to lead our Tucson team and our powerful brands.

What a great hire for the Arizona Region and the Tucson market, said Steve
Geofferies, Executive Vice President of Programming. Experience, steady
hand, and a history of success. Im looking forward to getting Dave to
Tucson.

Bat Flies Into Austin

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...s-into-austin/

Austin Radio Network has relaunched Classic Hits Classic 105.3 K287FG
Austin/KTXX-HD4 Bee Cave as 105.3 The Bat.

The move coincides with the completion of a shift to a Rock leaning
playlist. The Capital of Classic Hits as it is being positioned, is
promoting a three hour commercial-free block from 9am to 12pm weekdays. Kim
Stewart, who currently hosts overnights for Cumulus Nash Icon brand, will
also host afternoons for The Bat. Stewart is known in the Austin market for
her time co-hosting mornings on Entercom AC Majic 95.5 KKMJ from 2005
through 2010.

iHeartMedia Creates Southwest Operations Division

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...ions-division/

iHeartMedia is reconfiguring its regional management structure by creating
a new Southwest division and eliminating its Central division.

The Southwest division will be based in Los Angeles and led by former Los
Angeles Region President Kevin LeGrett. LeGrett will oversee the Los
Angeles, San Diego/Riverside, Arizona, Red River, Houston, Dallas and
Austin/San Antonio Regions but continue to report to iHeartMedia West
President Tom Ashlock.

The remainder of the former Dallas based Central division will be broken
up. Denver, Western Great Lakes and Omaha move to Ashlocks West division.
St. Louis, Nashville and Mid-South move to Tom McConnells Midwest/Southeast
division, while Pittsburgh moves from the Midwest/Southeast to Harley
Adkins Northeast division.

In usual corporate speak, iHeart says that the reconfigurations are to
better enhance synergies among operating regions and to better align them
with the right resources and operating structure.

No word on the status of former Central Division President Matt Martin.
iHeart had created the four division operating structure at the beginning
of 2016.

iHeartMedia, the leading media company in America with a greater reach in
the U.S. than any other radio or television outlet, announced today that
its iHeartMedia Markets Group is creating a new Southwest Division that
will include many Regions formerly in its Central Division. Other former
Central Division Regions will be moved into the West and Midwest/Southeast
Divisions to better align them with the right resources and operating
structure.

Kevin LeGrett, formerly iHeartMedia’s Los Angeles Region President, will
become President of the new Southwest Division, which will now include the
Los Angeles, San Diego/Riverside, Arizona, Red River, Houston, Dallas and
Austin/San Antonio Regions. He will continue to report to Greg Ashlock,
President of iHeartMedia West, and will also become a member of the
company’s senior executive Operating Committee.

In addition to overseeing the new Southwest Division, Ashlock will add the
Denver, Western Great Lakes and Omaha Regions to his existing West
Division. The St. Louis, Nashville and Mid-South Regions will move to the
Midwest/Southeast Division under President Tom McConnell. The Pittsburgh
Region, formerly part of the Midwest/Southeast Division, will now move to
the Northeast Division under President Hartley Adkins. Both LeGrett and
Ashlock will continue to operate from iHeartMedia West’s headquarters in
Los Angeles.

Charlie Sykes Stepping Down From WTMJ

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...own-from-wtmj/

Charlie Sykes will retire from his daily 830am-12pm show on Scripps
News/Talk 620 WTMJ Milwaukee at the end of the year.

Sykes, who has hosted the mid-morning slot on WTMJ since 1993, will also
leave his Sunday morning television program on WTMJ-TV. He will remain as
editor of RightWisconsin.com, that he created in conjunction with the
stations. Jeff Wagner will move up from the 12pm-3pm timeslot to Sykes
830am-12pm slot starting on January 3, 2017. A new host is being sought for
the 12-3pm show.

Sykes has received much press in recent months as being one of the few
conservative voices to come out against Donald Trumps presidential campaign
and questioning the conservative medias role in it. Sykes, however claims
that this campaign did not have a role in his decision to step down.

“It has been both a pleasure and honor to work here,” said Sykes. “It has
been an extraordinary privilege to be a part of the momentous changes that
have taken place in Wisconsin over the last two decades. This is not a
decision that I made either lightly or recently and it was not driven by
this year’s political season. I made this decision more than a year ago for
both professional and very personal reasons. My father died when he was 63,
and I will turn 62 this year, so this year has always been circled on my
calendar. Frankly, if I was ever going to make a move, it was now. While I
am stepping back from my daily radio duties I intend to remain an active
voice. I want to write more, travel more and pursue new opportunities.”

WTMJ host Charlie Sykes will step away from his daily radio show and weekly
television show at the end of 2016. For 23 years, Sykes has hosted
mid-mornings on WTMJ. He also has been the host of “Sunday Insight” on
Today’s TMJ4. During that time he has been one of the most listened-to talk
show hosts in the Midwest and he has shaped the political conversation in
Wisconsin. Beginning in January, current midday host Jeff Wagner will move
up to 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. with a new show to be announced for 12-3 p.m.

“It has been both a pleasure and honor to work here,” said Sykes. “It has
been an extraordinary privilege to be a part of the momentous changes that
have taken place in Wisconsin over the last two decades. This is not a
decision that I made either lightly or recently and it was not driven by
this year’s political season. I made this decision more than a year ago for
both professional and very personal reasons. My father died when he was 63,
and I will turn 62 this year, so this year has always been circled on my
calendar. Frankly, if I was ever going to make a move, it was now. While I
am stepping back from my daily radio duties I intend to remain an active
voice. I want to write more, travel more and pursue new opportunities.”

“I’ve enjoyed working with Charlie since the early 90’s, and have always
respected his smart, authentic approach to his show. I know his audience
appreciates that, too,” said Steve Wexler, vice president of Scripps Radio.

“Charlie Sykes is one of the most talented broadcasters in America. His
voice is not only an important one in Wisconsin, but across the country.
His daily impact has influenced public thought for decades,” said Tom
Langmyer, vice president and general manager of WTMJ and WKTI and vice
president, news/talk/sports programming – radio for The E.W. Scripps
Company (NYSE: SSP).

Sykes was a nominee for the 2016 National Association of Broadcasters
Marconi Award for Personality of the Year.

Sykes recently published his eighth book, “Fail U. – The False Promise of
Higher Education” and is already at work on his ninth, a look at the future
of the conservative movement. His previous books include, “A Nation of
Victims”; “Dumbing Down our Kids”; “Profscam, The Hollow Men”; “The End of
Privacy”; “50 Rules Kids Wont Learn in School”; and “A Nation of
Moochers.” He was co-editor of the “National Review College Guide.” His
political commentary has been featured on CNN, NPR, CSPAN, ABC, PBS, Fox
News, Bloomberg Television and he is currently a contributor to MSNBC. He
has written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, National
Review, Weekly Standard, Commentary, and a host of other publications.

During Sykes’ career at WTMJ, he raised more than one million dollars for
Stars and Stripes Honor Flight and supported WTMJ’s Kids2Kids Christmas
Program and other station and community initiatives. In addition, he
created and served as the editor-in-chief of RightWisconsin.com.
RightWisconsin.com is an online community that distributes the conservative
perspective on the day’s news through a website, audio, video and a daily
newsletter.

Jeff Wagner, current early mid-afternoon host, will move to 8:30 a.m. to
Noon. New programming will air from noon to 3 p.m. The search for a host
for the midday program has begun. WTMJ will announce the new lineup before
the end of the year and the new host lineup will debut on Jan. 3, 2017.

Sherman & Tingle Reunite At WDRV Chicago

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...-wdrv-chicago/

Hubbard Classic Rock 97.1 The Drive WDRV Chicago/96.9 WWDV Zion is bringing
in Brian Sherman and Steve Tingle for mornings starting Monday, October 21.

Sherman Tingle previously co-hosted afternoons and then mornings at Emmis
Q101 WKQX until the stations sale to Merlin Media and flip to FM News in
2011. Sherman joins WDRV from mornings at Matrix Broadcasting Classic Rock
103.9 The Fox WFXF Dundee IL, while Tingle was most recently at Entercom
Hot AC Star 94.1 WSTR Atlanta.

Sherman Tingle will replace The Morning Drive hosted by Pete MacMurray,
Scott Miller, and Kathy Voltmer. Dan McNeil co-hosted with MacMurray from
March 2015 through June 2016.

Rock 93.3 Poughkeepsie Rebrands

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headli...psie-rebrands/

iHeartMedia rebranded Rock 93.3 WBWZ New Paltz/Poughkeepsie NY as Z93 on
Monday.

The Z93 name was utilized by WBWZ through multiple formats in the 1990s and
2000s deriving from its launch as part of the syndicated Hard Rock Z-Rock
network in 1992. The station would later flip to All 1970s and AC before
flipping to Hot AC Star 93.3 in 2003 and then to Rock 93.3 in 2012.

WBWZ was down to a 1.0 share in the Spring 2016 Nielsen Audio ratings,
while Townsquare Medias competing Classic Rock 101.5 WPDH led the market
with a 6.6 share. No changes to the stations on-air lineup including WWDC
Washingtons Elliot In The Morning accompanied the change.