Old October 5th 16, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Tuesday 4 October 2016

eHam.net News

Ham Radio Catches Fancy of Students:

http://www.eham.net/articles/37682

HYDERABAD: Ham radio has once again caught the fancy of people, with
several students from engineering colleges too taking it up as their
project.The sending of signals, and waiting for a response from
another 'ham' (operator), has long been a popular hobby , but now students
are increasingly waking up to the many practical uses of this medium. The
practical exposure op towards design and elechtronics that the amateur
radio format lends users, has got a number of computer science students,
faculty members, and even colleges flocking to become ham operators. For
DVS Adithya, a third-year stu dent of elec tronics and communication engi
neering, Geetam University, learning and being a ham operator stemmed from
a bigger dream. "I had been fascinated with big communication instru ments.
When I first heard about ham, and understood that it can give me exposure
to even designing a satellite, there was no looking back," he said.
Speaking about his attempts to own a home radio station, Adithya said, "ham
throws up an interesting possibility of connecting with various other op
erators across the world. I can learn and take help in designing my radio
station from other operators too."

Did SOS Really Stand for 'Save Our Souls'? 5 Amazing Facts About SOS:

http://www.eham.net/articles/37681

The SOS distress signal has been a staple for emergency communication for
110 years, and although communications technology is very different now to
the days of Morse Code, the term is still widely used today. The SOS
distress signal was the work of the British Marconi Society and the German
Telefunk, who established it at the Berlin Radio Society on October 3, 1906
- although it wasn't properly introduced until July 1, 1908. To celebrate
this landmark occasion, we take a look at some of the interesting SOS facts
from across the last 110 years:

Ham Radio Camp Hope for Vets, Homebrewing:

http://www.eham.net/articles/37680

Katie WY7YL is back with us Tues October 4th at 8
PMCT on Amateur Radio Roundtable. Her guest
will be Bob Hawkins KD5AT to discuss how ham
radio is going to help our veterans with PTSD
at Camp Hope.